Invest in eye protection!

That is what I wear too. Even with that I got nailed once. Somehow a shard from a wire wheel stuck in my eye. As an idiot younger self ignored it for a day or two. When your eye Dr tells you you have a rusted shard in your eye you really wake up fast. Had to buff my eyeball.

FBRs are so much fun!!

I remember a thread a few years ago that had the full detailed story in it. I think it was "what's the dumbest thing you've ever done", or something like that.
My worst FBR was while shaving a 14 bolt with a rock disc. That sumbitchn shard went so deep that I had a 30 year veteran optometrist SHAKING. Then I passed out. šŸ˜‚

I've had the same kind of experience but the eye doc had to "scoop" the metal out of my eye because it had already grown over the metal!

The more you get, the more you pay! (unless its 4. we like selling 4).
Yeah that's why I bought 4, apparently that 5th one costs $55.

Needing reading glasses to see anything up close I have resorted to wearing safety glasses with readers built in, very handy and always in compliance with the safety nerds.....I buy em in 6pack
E83CDABE-78A5-44DF-B93E-60E4E4ED0227.jpeg

Always wear eye pro. No matter what. Some of you will remember my shooting accident a few years ago. Ricochet. 22lr came back and got ke in the eye. Doc said a millimeter or so further right and I'd have lost my right eye.

20170831_154433.jpg

Wow, crazy stories especially 77GreenMachine. I guess I've been incredibly lucky over the decades. Thanks for sharing - I'll definitely get back on the safety bandwagon and wear eye pro all the time.

I always wear eye protection, normally safety glasses, and if I'm under it, the face shield on top of that.
It's harder now that I need reading glasses to see detailed stuff less than 2.5 feet away...

I always wear eye protection, normally safety glasses, and if I'm under it, the face shield on top of that.
It's harder now that I need reading glasses to see detailed stuff less than 2.5 feet away...
The readers in the glasses is very helpful in that aspect, but Iā€™ve found that looking up rends to be a problem, there are glasses available with the readers top and bottom, I have a pair of these, too bothersome to wear all the time, but very helpful when under dash or vehicle and you have to look up....
6B2CB4E5-502A-42ED-A941-7AC082A13786.jpeg

Last edited:
I have been making sparks for a living for over 25 years now. Each eye has been scooped and dremeled probably total of 8 Times.

Its never fun, stainless doesn't rust, nor aluminum. Letting any set makes it worse.
Rust always gets scored away.

The worst you can do is go to an ER with a overzelous medical personel. I had a rather large splinter on time. A hole swore he should use a needle to pick it out. Closest I've ever came to passing out. I tore the thumb nail out of my left hand from the root. I wedged it between a running drill bit and a set up stop on a drill press. I swear that didn't hurt as bad.

Broken bones don't hurt like an asshole digging in your eye with a syringe.

TIP: shower with head down eyes closed and run a coarse comb through your hair at the same time. Folks often wash debris from the noggin into eyes while bathing.

TIP: shower with head down eyes closed and run a coarse comb through your hair at the same time. Folks often wash debris from the noggin into eyes while bathing.

Yup I've washed grinding dust in my eyes a few times not thinking. Pretty much always wear a welding cap now to keep most of it out of my hair.

Thatā€™s some darn good advice I never thought of. Definitely going to start doing that moving forward. Somehow I think thatā€™s suck even worse to actually take all the safety precautions in the shop, only to wind up like this from a shower :kaioken:

Back when I did MRI based research, one of the first questions with pateinets of subjects was always, "Do you do metal work for a living or hobby?" Yes? OK sorry no MRI for you (unless it's reeeeaaaally necessary)
You bastards are the reason why.

Some of us don't have to worry so much about that

A while back I had a cutting disc shatter and a piece bounced under my safety glasses. I thought it had blinded me in that eye, but there was no pain. I looked in a mirror and found a good sized chunk of wheel embedded in my contact lens. Scary stuff.

Glad you didn't have to change your name to the Dread Pirate Greenmachine.

I thought that I had posted this before but a really strong magnet placed close to the eye will suck a steel fragment out really quick. Only use on small stuff and nothing that you think penetrated the eyeball like a wire wheel bristle. I always use eye protection but sometimes like others have said shit will bounce off your cheek then the inside of the glasses then into your eye.
In the shop we have used the above method many times and it works like a charm.

Amazon product ASIN B01LZ7TODW
Iā€™m a big fan of this style mask. Seals tight around your eyes like googles.
I got one of these and I do like although it's not totally fog free. I did find an issue with it though, I scratched my lens pretty bad and went to order replacement lenses and they're freaking $15 each! So I just ordered a new mask and hopefully I'll be more careful with the new one.

Back