Is it necessary?

BoneStock

I was at URE a few years back, and did just fine in a stock Ram 1500. Before that, it was a stock Wrangler and stock SUV. However, today I went for the first time in a few years. And I beat the hell out of the bottom of my stock '07 F150 on the rain berms. Is it necessary to have them so high? Seems like they've been built up much higher since I was last down there. Have they built them higher? If so-when did they do this? And WHY did they do it? And are there any plans to cut them back down some?

Oh and welcome to the board!!
There will be some very knowledgeable replies I assure you.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I didn't think URE was supposed to be hard core. Always seemed more inclusive for the daily driver vehicles in yrs passed. I drive my truck to and from work. I can't break it on a rain berm. I also have four kids to put through college in the next 8 yrs. So a huge expensive rig isn't possible. I may put a leveling kit on my truck and go up a few inches in tire size. But good Lord-I'm not so sure that'll get me through URE after today's experience.

I'd say the vast majority of people want URE to be harder, not easier.
You might consider that the vehicle you're driving isn't the intended case for this vanue. You have a long wheelbase truck that doesn't have a huge natural height in the middle. Plus the fact that it's your DD, relatively valuable, and needed for work is your own judgment call, not the parks to pander to. Lets face it, people go there to bang around their truck a little.

Go back in a Cherokee or wrangler (of any vintage), or older Toyota, you'll find it much more fitting.

I'd also wager that unless you were really dogging it, once you get your truck cleaned up and get a good look at it you'll find there was little actual damage done.
JMHO

My judgement is just fine. My vehicles have always been fine in the past. But this time we turned around after 200 yards in. And no, there was no damage to mine. But my buddy bent his side steps. And I don't expect to be "pandered" to. But since you brought it up, if you want it to be harder, aren't YOU wanting some pandering? You see, it is a FEDERAL park, paid for by federal tax money. And last I checked, people with high clearance and big tires aren't the only ones paying federal taxes. So I would expect my question to be answered with a little more respect than "the park shouldn't pander to you".

It is an off-road recreational area. Not just an off road for vehicles. That said the people of this forum probably do more than any other groups to keep the whole area open to the public threw volunteer work.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

But since you asked why I would probably say the taller berms are in place so as they get packed down threw the season they don't get flattened out and then water run off becoming a bigger issue

I drive my truck to and from work.
I can't break it on a rain berm.
I also have four kids to put through college in the next 8 yrs.
So a huge expensive rig isn't possible.
I may put a leveling kit on my truck and go up a few inches in tire size. But good Lord-I'm not so sure that'll get me through URE after today's experience.

Stop now,cause 4 wheelin is not gonna be the sport for you.I seem to remember a certain power wagon owner a while back who had a similar complaint.

I also have four kids to put through college in the next 8 yrs. So a huge expensive rig isn't possible.

Buy a Cherokee for 1500-2500 have 4 doors take your kids have ac and beat it like you stole it.

I wheeled a 750 Cherokee for 2 years before I started changing things

1-ton,

I'm 35 yrs old. Been wheeling for 25 yrs. Own multiple four wheelers. Have owned a jacked up K5 in the past. Also a couple wranglers. I know my sports. And I know what aren't. I've played on Daniel. I've ridden the novice trails. I'm figuring you are so young your breath probly still smells like titty milk. Especially with a screwed attitude like yours. Who are you to tell people what their sport is? Wheeling isn't great because of people like you. It's great IN SPITE of people like you. URE used to be a place for folks with stock vehicles AS WELL as people with big rigs. I was just asking why the change. Wheeling is for whomever wants to partake. You say wheeling ain't for me. Maybe THIS FORUM is what aint for some folks. Cuz so far, y'all appear to think you are some kind of elite. Having a higher clearance doesn't mean everyone sitting lower than you should get out of the hobby. You will learn that with age and experience, young child.

How many bone stock wranglers, Xjs, and yotas have walked all over Uwharrie? A dang plenty. This argument seems to be popping up to often here lately :wtf:

I would just lift the front of your 07 and that should get YA over anything your trying to accomplish in the 4x4 lifeatyle! Seems about right...

1-ton,

I'm 35 yrs old. Been wheeling for 25 yrs. Own multiple four wheelers. Have owned a jacked up K5 in the past. Also a couple wranglers. I know my sports. And I know what aren't. I've played on Daniel. I've ridden the novice trails. I'm figuring you are so young your breath probly still smells like titty milk. Especially with a screwed attitude like yours. Who are you to tell people what their sport is? Wheeling isn't great because of people like you. It's great IN SPITE of people like you. URE used to be a place for folks with stock vehicles AS WELL as people with big rigs. I was just asking why the change. Wheeling is for whomever wants to partake. You say wheeling ain't for me. Maybe THIS FORUM is what aint for some folks. Cuz so far, y'all appear to think you are some kind of elite. Having a higher clearance doesn't mean everyone sitting lower than you should get out of the hobby. You will learn that with age and experience, young child.

You sir are seriously coming off like an asshole here. You shouldn'task questions if you're not going to accept the answers just because you don't like them.
If your gonna piss and moan about URE,
@1-tonmudder is exactly right. Your in the wrong sport..

Your new on this board, don't be so thinned skin.

1-ton,

You have a great attitude there Mr Experience. I think you will be able to change everyone's mind with your approach.

I don't give a damn about changing anyone's mind. My "approach" was to ask why they did it and when. RatLab's approach was to question my judgement with my own stuff. And 1-ton's approach was to proceed explaining to me why a hobby I've been into for 25 years just ain't for me. And then Jeff B's approach was to explain how I'M the asshole for not appreciating it. So tell me-how is it I'M the one with the screwed up approach? It's extremely condescending to tell someone wheeling ain't for them simply because they ask about berm build up on the trails. Or just because my truck ain't as high as y'all. Just because I'm new to the forum don't mean I'm new to wheeling. I don't usually do forums. I joined for answers to a few questions. And was told my judgement is questionable. And wheeling ain't for me. But I'm the one with an attitude problem? To hell with this place. Y'all take care and ride safe.

My judgement is just fine. My vehicles have always been fine in the past. But this time we turned around after 200 yards in. And no, there was no damage to mine. But my buddy bent his side steps. And I don't expect to be "pandered" to. But since you brought it up, if you want it to be harder, aren't YOU wanting some pandering? You see, it is a FEDERAL park, paid for by federal tax money. And last I checked, people with high clearance and big tires aren't the only ones paying federal taxes. So I would expect my question to be answered with a little more respect than "the park shouldn't pander to you".
Why do you deserve respect? Your first post is bitching about too tall water bars? Earn a little respect, show up at a few URE workdays, make a few replies over in tech with your vast offroad knowledge and you will see a pretty decent group around here. Otherwise maybe put a doubler in your rig so you can crawl them bars and GTFO.

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

I don't give a damn about changing anyone's mind. My "approach" was to ask why they did it and when. RatLab's approach was to question my judgement with my own stuff. And 1-ton's approach was to proceed explaining to me why a hobby I've been into for 25 years just ain't for me. And then Jeff B's approach was to explain how I'M the asshole for not appreciating it. So tell me-how is it I'M the one with the screwed up approach? It's extremely condescending to tell someone wheeling ain't for them simply because they ask about berm build up on the trails. Or just because my truck ain't as high as y'all. Just because I'm new to the forum don't mean I'm new to wheeling. I don't usually do forums. I joined for answers to a few questions. And was told my judgement is questionable. And wheeling ain't for me. But I'm the one with an attitude problem? To hell with this place. Y'all take care and ride safe.
Fair points. This is the Internet, and tone/sarcasm/intent get lost in translation. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt. There are several trails at Uwharrie that can be accessed from the road, and it sounds like you only tried one. It may have been the worst one. I don't really know because I don't go 4wheeling, I just post about it on the Internet. Back when I used to go off road, I would get annoyed by the water bars at Uwharrie when I'm in the jeep. Enjoyed them at other places when I'm on the mountain bike or dirtbike. I went to uwharrie one time with a friend in a stock ZJ and he didn't like it hitting the water bars, so he made his 3 passengers get out and walk in the rain. Funny thing is we were walking faster than he was driving.

All that aside, it sounds like you have an issue with the breakover angle on your truck. You can either wheel different places, shorten your wheelbase, or raise your contact point (lift, bigger tires, etc).

The main reason they make them so high is because they get worn down, and if they make them too low, the trails will get eroded worse, and the fun police will try to close the trails down. Then they will use the federal money to log it, and then sell it off to a developer who will do 10 times as much damage while building a neighborhood for environmentalists to buy houses and park Priuses (is it Pri-i?) on impermeable surfaces.

Buh-bye...

So how old are you barely over 23 years old I bet? I suggest you pull back on the snotty replies and go somewhere and get your diaper changed , it is a federally funded Forest which federally funded trails if yes I agree probably an xj or a reg jerpor something like that we're probably better to go bashing in the woods and who the hell you to criticize someone in a new truck wanted to go off roading? You want extreme Hills and burms ,go to or private Park yes enough income around now if there's one thing I hate is snotty ass young people think that because they live home with their mom and dad have no other real expensive and they're only life's ambition is to drive at Uwharrie they need to STFU and I believe the play should be more geared towards the average off-roader not someone in a $50,000 super off road buggies or maybe they should have two sets of off-road trails a set of trails for the oh my God I'm going to die trails and another set of trails for the average Joe who drives a daily driver he just wants to have a little fun in a federally funded Park

I feel better I had to get my two cents in lol ! I like seeing these threads where it all out war takes place

Back