JK and K5 build threads Bc you can never have too many toys

66485E13-5508-47CF-8595-39E337468885.jpeg

Hopefully I get a chance to EDM at this line to make a simple connection for my supports on the non pivot side

Assuming wire EDM? Nice!
Maybe move that cut line down closer to the hole, to allow for a bolt "eye" on the male portion?
Yeah I didn’t get a chance do them yesterday because the shop does a lot of EDM for stuff. But I think I’ve got some time today I’ll be able to put them in and get the old guy to show me how. Haven’t decided if I want it threaded or ream it for a quick release pin.

Yeah I didn’t get a chance do them yesterday because the shop does a lot of EDM for stuff. But I think I’ve got some time today I’ll be able to put them in and get the old guy to show me how. Haven’t decided if I want it threaded or ream it for a quick release pin.
The biggy may be does the operator/machine have the bandwidth?
Uber high precision, kerfs in the 0.001"s, but max cutting speed is glacial... IIRC, fractions of mm/minute, but that was on much thicker material (6"+)
(My cousins shop had both blind hole & wire and another mold/die shop I used to visit just had wire)

The biggy may be does the operator/machine have the bandwidth?
Uber high precision, kerfs in the 0.001"s, but max cutting speed is glacial... IIRC, fractions of mm/minute, but that was on much thicker material (6"+)
(My cousins shop had both blind hole & wire and another mold/die shop I used to visit just had wire)
Im not worried about it over a 1.5” span, we use it to cut key ways and other stuff in parts 10-12”. For the thru hole, I’ll ream it out if decided on a 5/16 quick release pin or not.

Well I got a wild hair up my ass yesterday and started making a reservoir for my power steering. Making the fill cap now, I’ll start on the base plate after lunch that will have the fittings going into it.
CC8C61BE-F584-49CD-AC10-C1DCC58E1F25.jpeg

Also I got my one piece EDM’d the second is in there now.
365722FA-A4C4-42C6-9EB4-230BA2F1D720.jpeg

Machined my threads on the cap, now when I get time I’ll mill the flats. Gotta figure out how I’m gonna do the base plate for the reservoir. I’ve got to make a feed and return port, you can by all the stuff you need from PSC for the lines, and the back of the PS pump.
7322CC26-3822-4185-868E-FCDB5F531F8E.jpeg

It rained all afternoon yesterday, I’m hoping I can finish up everything on the basket today after work, then I’ve gotta pull the front suspension apart and get these frame plates on and then I get the front shock hoops in. I’ll have to make some more tubing connectors to make parts of it removable. I’ve got a shit ton of 2 bolt flanges, but I want to church it up a bit.

Machined my threads on the cap, now when I get time I’ll mill the flats. Gotta figure out how I’m gonna do the base plate for the reservoir. I’ve got to make a feed and return port, you can by all the stuff you need from PSC for the lines, and the back of the PS pump. View attachment 360159

It rained all afternoon yesterday, I’m hoping I can finish up everything on the basket today after work, then I’ve gotta pull the front suspension apart and get these frame plates on and then I get the front shock hoops in. I’ll have to make some more tubing connectors to make parts of it removable. I’ve got a shit ton of 2 bolt flanges, but I want to church it up a bit.

If you are building your own resi, I would look up Radial Dynamics, and study some of his videos... be basically shows how his are put together, and if you have the tools and skill, they likely wont be too hard to replicate.

Been swamped at work, so no progress on the resi, I’ve got a good idea of how I’m gonna do it. Been waiting on a few things to show up. Trying to decide how I want to mount the fluids carrier and battery holder out back.
37BC5671-2007-448C-BB01-06165F3C977B.jpeg

462CFCFF-3FFD-49EC-A76C-07ADAB3DCF23.jpeg

I need to chuck it back up in the lathe and make my hole and threads for the vent. Think I may recess the center some just to church it up some.
2DC296DC-0489-4411-836B-8D91C56396DD.jpeg

Back of the pump showed up, along with the hoses and fittings. Probably could have sourced those cheaper, but oh well they are USA made. This also fixes my leaky factory reservoir, it got a little tweaked getting of the factory pump. The one in it now is for hydro boost, but debating on modifying a pump when I install all this.

There is a current school of thought on making the PS reservoir pressurized. Many are using radiator caps for those. You could tap it for a pressure relief valve vs just a vent.

Well I’ve been busy the last few months building a bunch of things that go pew. Made little bits of progress, don’t some maintenance stuff on the k5. Had a clutch master cylinder and slave cylinder go bad, wasted an alternator in the snow. But I just picked up a 90k mile LQ4 I’m planning on take the 706 heads off the 5.3 and bump the compression. Got a whole new valvetrain going in it, with a towmax stage 2 cam. Parts should finish rolling this week.

Attachments

• DC6F6D5A-9676-4108-BBE2-16E7245DCB5D.jpeg
    DC6F6D5A-9676-4108-BBE2-16E7245DCB5D.jpeg
    100.8 KB · Views: 136
I've got an LS valve spring compressor if you need to borrow it.

I've got an LS valve spring compressor if you need to borrow it.
Actually yeah Ima need that. I need to stop thinking of thinner headgaskets and milling the 317 heads and going with a bigger cam… wouldn’t be too bad on an angle plate on a Bridgeport, lol.

Aight. I'll be back on like the 22nd. Gimme a holler.

Friends of mine and I were laughing at my dinning room of my house. Only some of those parts are mine and there are some boxes I need to get rid of. Sad part a lot of my parts are in the garage. Still waiting on a rocker trunnion upgrade, oil pan gasket, lifters, balancer, and some various hardware. I need to get a 4L80e, convertor, and a square body so I can build my hotrod old man truck.

Attachments

• 04269C2B-59A8-42AE-ACE9-5F755B203624.jpeg
    04269C2B-59A8-42AE-ACE9-5F755B203624.jpeg
    137 KB · Views: 122
FAFECF41-2F4E-4897-8494-F1F4C69FE5F3.jpeg

Need to debur the holes and threads for the return, we don’t have a tap for the feed fitting so I’ll have to see if I can interpolate the threads on the CNC one day, mainly so I can learn how to program that. I’ve turned down the return spout and bored the hole. Ive got to mill the end, then it threads in to the base and is done. Then I’ve got to weld it all together. I’ve really been thinking about adding a sight tube just because it wouldn’t take much to do it. And I do plan chucking it up in the lathe, and putting a center in the cap that eventually will go away and be threads to a vent. Then turning the body smooth and radius where the weld will be between the base and the body. I’m really polishing a turd, lol.

Right now I’m putting the cam, pushrods, rod bolts, oil pump, trunnion upgrade, new lifters, trays, springs, retainers, and keepers in this 90k mile Lq4 I picked up a few weeks ago. I can’t decide if I want to blend the bowls on the 706 heads and swap them on the cammed LQ4 at a later date. Also floated the idea of putting some 823 rec ports on it, much bigger cam, and I found flanges for the intake manifold. It would be nothing to fab my own intake, however I’ve never welded aluminum. Been practicing TIG at work on various little things, and I am picking up a TIG welder hopefully soon.

But after getting this engine in the k5, I think it would be best to get a roller to build a daily square body on tons, 285s, 5.3/80E/208/60/14bolt. I need the trans/convertor, some Srw hubs(unless I find a c30), and an ECM. Plan is full valvetrain, turbo spec cam, and eventually ill put a snail on it. Nothing crazy I do want to be able to tow the k5 or Jeep this but I just want something with a turbo LS. And I’ll get in less trouble with a truck than a car.

Sucks I haven’t made much progress, I’ve been working through things and just trying to get by lately. But I’m getting it back. Went through a pretty shit relationship that sucked the life out of me pretty bad. Got back in therapy made some good progress. Got a few good influencing friends that are motivating me without noticing just because they see the potential for stuff I want to do. Just gotta put into he work and grind it out a little bit.

Still got my Jeep halfway apart, finally got the bottle filled, spool replaced, and new batteries in one helmet, really wanting to pick up a nice Miller hood, and some new gloves here soon. I really need to find a replacement torch for my plasma cutter

Made some more progress, I’ll see if I can turn the threads for the feed fitting today if I’ve got time. But progress is progress and the feed fitting and welding are the next two steps. Here’s some pics
0B4FC781-F741-40CF-9DD7-2679520E088F.jpeg

0B1B62D2-7354-442F-A744-2C7D78B57BB4.jpeg

6438A994-C382-4827-B32E-02258F6B0712.jpeg

B0B076EE-53D2-4F93-949C-C37430DE9DDA.jpeg

928671BB-DC2B-4FB4-8A22-18BE454FDA6F.jpeg

Made some more progress, I’ll see if I can turn the threads for the feed fitting today if I’ve got time. But progress is progress and the feed fitting and welding are the next two steps. Here’s some pics View attachment 373406
View attachment 373407
View attachment 373408
View attachment 373409
View attachment 373410
As you are building, I would look at some of Radial Dynamics videos of their reservoir, and try to add some of those features to yours.

As you are building, I would look at some of Radial Dynamics videos of their reservoir, and try to add some of those features to yours.
So, I’m seeing how they make a swirl affect in their reservoirs, and that 6psi of pressure to keep cavitation down. I can see how my return spout could cause cavitation. I can angle it more to the side of the bore in theory to be like peeing in the side of the toilet instead of straight into the water so you don’t have bubbles(cavitation).

Last edited:
Well I broke down and bought a daily, little Toyota Corrolla Hatchback. So now I can get back to working on the k5 more. Been collecting parts still and got everything for the engine swap, but working on the front shock mounts since a few local friends want to hit up uwharrie and it’s been a while since I’ve been wheeling. Sucks life gets in the way, working through mindset changes and life changes. But now no more stress of little projects on the k5 spilling over to having to borrow a vehicle to get to work because rain has been cramping my style working in the driveway on the k5. Anyway Pics because threads are worthless without them.
1CB2B0BB-4517-46E0-8393-FA44449249D4.jpeg

The daily, knocks out a cool 40 mpg on the highway at 80.
8DA51843-BA07-45DF-9A1D-EA82E900EF55.jpeg

Finally welded on the frame plates for the front
BE71AAA6-D386-42B6-BCC8-7D9D76F2AB6E.jpeg
582BA0C3-24A8-40D3-BDF1-2A76B6269DBF.jpeg

I ended up redoing the mounts to move the shocks more outboard so I gained more steering shaft clearance. For a bit there I almost built my own steering shaft but was like man stop trying to reinvent the wheel.
B335DE60-7238-479D-A7DF-1F2F67BB787B.jpeg
934CD509-D37C-4FF3-9A31-756CB13497F1.jpeg
10FE9F13-45DF-4161-BBAB-95A039DAF524.jpeg

Tacked the bump cans for shits and giggles, however I may get some 2” hydro bumps for the front of k5
6ADC874F-D9B0-40B0-8E7F-DBDB2B8057AF.jpeg

And now I’m looking at chopping the exhaust and re routing it to gain about 1-2” of uptravel. Should have done this from the get go but hindsight is always 20-20

Well, I've got a whole lot going in my life now days. But I finally bit the bullet and bought an NV4500, waiting on the tracking number since its from Ebay. Going to try and run it without rebuilding it, might kick myself in the ass about it. But good news I've got a spare NP205 that I can bore out in the input to run a 90mm bearing and 32 spline input. Hopefully I can do this over the winter, along with reinstalling the 5.38 gears in the back. I still have to finish my front shock mounts, been having to deal with some other personal issues but hopefully on the upside of all that now. I have been eyeballing LSA and Caddy M122 blowers lately. Really, I don't need to do that, I can be just fine with putting my 706 heads on my 6.0 short block with a cam. I also ordered a tap for $58 to do the bottom of my powersteering reservoir. So, no pictures for updates as of right now but hopefully soon I'll have some cool stuff to post.

I would definitely put synchros in it before you put it in there. I'd just about bet the farm that the synchros on 3rd are gone.

It's not hard to do, but there's a super top secret method to getting the counter shaft out of the case :D

I would definitely put synchros in it before you put it in there. I'd just about bet the farm that the synchros on 3rd are gone.

It's not hard to do, but there's a super top secret method to getting the counter shaft out of the case :D
And while you're there, upgrade 5th gear retention.

The best one I've ever seen is this clamp....which being a fellow machinist now, you could buy a pre-made clamp and machine the ID profile to fit :D You'll see the groove in the output shaft. Once that thing is on there, there's no way 5th gear can move. To hell with tacking the nut to the shaft or dinging up the threads!

0406111903.jpg

0408110118.jpg

Back