Just Found Out that I'm Going to be a Dad

So at 10:35 a.m this morning. Something amazing happened. My wife was in the OR getting her C section done and all of a sudden, I hear this sweet little cry. They walk me over and I see her for the first time, and I just bawl. Sitting in our room right now as I type this while my new little girl sleeps. Mom is doing great and said if she keeps up the good work, we will be out of here Saturday morning! C section literally took 15 minutes and then another 15 minutes to get her sewn all up. Mom is doing great and little one is doing great as well! She came in at 7lbs 6 oz. and was 19 in. long.

Congrats, dad.

Congrats, papa! And I'll echo what @jcramsey said...don't be afraid to kick anyone out. Momma needs rest, and lots of it. You (I mean the plural "you." Perhaps I'll throw one of those yankee words in there and say "you's") gonna be waking up every two hours for at least the next several weeks. The nurses there in the hospital will be barging in on you every other hour through the day and night anyway. Enjoy that little bundle of joy...I cried like a baby the first time I heard her little cry come out...getting weepy now thinking about it myself. Seems like we just brought her home yesterday, and she's already almost 13 months old. Time is going to fly.

Last night, our first night was rough! We would finally get her to sleep and we would lay down and the damn monitors would start beeping and not stop and then the nurse would come in and then another nurse to check wife and baby, which I know they are just doing there job, but damn. We finally got about an hour this morning.

Just came home about 4 hours ago from the hospital. Wife hasn't starting produces milk yet, so we have had to supplement formula for the time being till her stuff does come in. Wife is getting discouraged, but trying to get little one to have as much skin to skin with mom as possible.
We will see how the next few days go.

Congrats man was the due date close??lol I'm down to 50ish days left and my little guys coming the anticipation is killing me lol

Just came home about 4 hours ago from the hospital. Wife hasn't starting produces milk yet, so we have had to supplement formula for the time being till her stuff does come in. Wife is getting discouraged, but trying to get little one to have as much skin to skin with mom as possible.
We will see how the next few days go.

Tell your wife that that is normal and to stay encouraged. I've got a number to a lactation consultant in Greensboro. We have used her with both our babies. She is the boobie whisperer. Lol. When we had our first, he couldn't latch right away. The lactation nurses in the hospital were 0 help. We called her and 10 minutes after getting to our house I was on my way to target to get some nipple shield thing. Our little boy was chowing down within a hr. Best 60.00 I ever spent. In fact I think I wrote her a check for 100. If you want her contact info I'll send it to you in a PM.
None of my wife's family breast feed and were no help either so this lady was really a God send for us.

So at 10:35 a.m this morning. Something amazing happened. My wife was in the OR getting her C section done and all of a sudden, I hear this sweet little cry. They walk me over and I see her for the first time, and I just bawl. Sitting in our room right now as I type this while my new little girl sleeps. Mom is doing great and said if she keeps up the good work, we will be out of here Saturday morning! C section literally took 15 minutes and then another 15 minutes to get her sewn all up. Mom is doing great and little one is doing great as well! She came in at 7lbs 6 oz. and was 19 in. long.

I cried for my first kid. I waited till it was just us but it's an emotional moment. It is one of the craziest moments of your life. Congrats to you both.

Congrats man was the due date close??lol I'm down to 50ish days left and my little guys coming the anticipation is killing me lol
Her Original due date was May 26th. C section originally scheduled for May 25th. She lost a lot of fluid in the last week, so they moved up the c section a week early, so she was 9 days early. Ill tell you though, I think knowing when your baby is coming days before it actually happens, is a different experience than your wife going into labor. Little Calvary seems to be adjusting well and the lack of sleep hasn't killed me yet. I think the wife and I have had about 6 hours of sleep since Thursday, but when I look at that sweet baby girl, it makes it all worth it.

I cried for my first kid. I waited till it was just us but it's an emotional moment. It is one of the craziest moments of your life. Congrats to you both.
I tried to hold it in, but when I heard her cry, I was so relieved that she was ok. They walked me over to her to cut the umbilical cord, and cleaned her up and then when I walked out and saw my family there, i just lost it.
Tell your wife that that is normal and to stay encouraged. I've got a number to a lactation consultant in Greensboro. We have used her with both our babies. She is the boobie whisperer. Lol. When we had our first, he couldn't latch right away. The lactation nurses in the hospital were 0 help. We called her and 10 minutes after getting to our house I was on my way to target to get some nipple shield thing. Our little boy was chowing down within a hr. Best 60.00 I ever spent. In fact I think I wrote her a check for 100. If you want her contact info I'll send it to you in a PM.
None of my wife's family breast feed and were no help either so this lady was really a God send for us.
My wife is also using the nipple shield some times to get her to latch. Her milk still hasn't come in fully, but its getting there. We are basically doing more feedings with less colostrum/milk so that she is getting enough food. Wife was able to pump 1 oz of milk this morning (which is the most she has been able to pump at once so far) We have Calvary's first Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon, so we will talk to the pediatrician about it then and see what she says. So I might take you up on that offer for the number to the lactation consultant if things don't change in the next couple of days.

Quick pic of the little one.
Calvary Rose

Attachments

• FD1C7660-0420-44CC-BF64-3DEFB41D9DAA.jpeg
    FD1C7660-0420-44CC-BF64-3DEFB41D9DAA.jpeg
    101.4 KB · Views: 153
  • 6A77877E-7B7F-4334-98E5-C10DF7DF1BF1.jpeg
    6A77877E-7B7F-4334-98E5-C10DF7DF1BF1.jpeg
    102.4 KB · Views: 163
Her Original due date was May 26th. C section originally scheduled for May 25th. She lost a lot of fluid in the last week, so they moved up the c section a week early, so she was 9 days early. Ill tell you though, I think knowing when your baby is coming days before it actually happens, is a different experience than your wife going into labor. Little Calvary seems to be adjusting well and the lack of sleep hasn't killed me yet. I think the wife and I have had about 6 hours of sleep since Thursday, but when I look at that sweet baby girl, it makes it all worth it.

I tried to hold it in, but when I heard her cry, I was so relieved that she was ok. They walked me over to her to cut the umbilical cord, and cleaned her up and then when I walked out and saw my family there, i just lost it.

My wife is also using the nipple shield some times to get her to latch. Her milk still hasn't come in fully, but its getting there. We are basically doing more feedings with less colostrum/milk so that she is getting enough food. Wife was able to pump 1 oz of milk this morning (which is the most she has been able to pump at once so far) We have Calvary's first Dr. appointment tomorrow afternoon, so we will talk to the pediatrician about it then and see what she says. So I might take you up on that offer for the number to the lactation consultant if things don't change in the next couple of days.

It's tough to explain. I had no intention of being emotional beyond being happy for our first one to arrive. It literally hit me like a slap in the face. Even my wife said she was shocked. I was sitting there watching our child lay on her mom and BOOM I broke down. In truth, it's a powerful moment in your life. In jest, I'd say it was my subconscious knowing the days of doing whatever I wanted, whenever I wanted were over.

Congratulations! I wanted to share one thing for a little later on. I saw this online so I can't take credit for it but I loved the idea. I bought my son the book "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. I have it hidden in my gun safe and every year at the end of the school year, I take it to school and get his teacher to write a message in it. I'm going to give it to him when he graduates high school.

Congratulations! I wanted to share one thing for a little later on. I saw this online so I can't take credit for it but I loved the idea. I bought my son the book "Oh The Places You'll Go" by Dr. Seuss. I have it hidden in my gun safe and every year at the end of the school year, I take it to school and get his teacher to write a message in it. I'm going to give it to him when he graduates high school.
I like this idea!

So it has been a hell of ride these last 3 weeks. Averaging 2-3 hours a sleep a night. I have found though that the hardest pert for me so far is the crying. Not knowing what she wants/needs especially after she has been changed, cleaned, fed, and burped... For some reason, her crying just gets to me. I get super tense when I am holding her and she's crying and my wife is talking to me at the same time. and the child loves to be held....really trying not to hold her TOO much, but its hard not to.
This was my first week back at work and my wife's first week alone with the little one. Been a helluva week for sure. Can't wait to do it all over again next week! :)

Congrats! When mine were born I was scared sh*tless. 8 years later, I'm still scared sh*tless, but for different reasons lol. Its tough at first when they don't know how to communicate. Just take it a day at a time. One of the best quotes I ever heard on the subject (sorry if this is a repeat): "The days pass slow, but the years go by fast" or something like that. Some days I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the little things. Here's my pro dad tip: don't lose the nose suction bulb from the hospital. They are WAY better than anything you can get from the pharmacy with regards to suction power.

Congrats! When mine were born I was scared sh*tless. 8 years later, I'm still scared sh*tless, but for different reasons lol. Its tough at first when they don't know how to communicate. Just take it a day at a time. One of the best quotes I ever heard on the subject (sorry if this is a repeat): "The days pass slow, but the years go by fast" or something like that. Some days I have to remind myself to slow down and enjoy the little things. Here's my pro dad tip: don't lose the nose suction bulb from the hospital. They are WAY better than anything you can get from the pharmacy with regards to suction power.
HAHA wife said the same thing and told me to take both of them from our room.

Yeah the days being long and years going fast seems about right. I feel like I have been put through the ringer the last couple of weeks and somehow I cannot believe that she will be a month old next week!!! I feel like we JUST came home from the hospital with her! I know understand what my parents have been talking about all these years about how time flies.
I am really trying to soak up the moments I am at home with her and she just looks at me like she knows exactly who I am and understands everything I tell her.

If you are overwhelmed then, by all means, put
her down and collect yourselves. Otherwise, soak it up and don't worry about holding her "too much."

She's still adjusting to being out in the world and not floating at 98.6 under her Mama's heart all the time. There's plenty of time for her to learn that the world can be a harsh place, right now she just needs to trust that Mama and Daddy are there when she needs you.

It wasn't long ago our youngest would climb on my lap while I was trying to use the toilet.

Today, he tried to shove me aside while demanding to "see what color your poop is!"

It flies by.

Congrats!

We have 3, including a set of twins. My $.02....Strap in, hang on, and most importantly SHUT UP when you wanna say the wrong thing and hang on for the ride. It's all about momma and y'alls baby for the next year. You don't matter, lol. In other words, once the new and shock wears off, if it does, things can be great and they can be very frustrating and foreign. Keep your composure, your bow into the wind, and be as supportive as possible no matter how great things are or how much you've been yelled at, or given the silent treatment for who knows what....get those effin' pickles at 0300 and don't talk back. This is all subliminal training for diaper and pharmacy runs at all hours when the time comes. Y'all are a team.

Good luck and prayers for a healthy baby and mommy!

You'll love being called Daddy and do everything you can to be that Daddy or Mommy that you will want your grandson or granddaughter to have. That's deep, but you'll get it. They learn everything from you and it's shocking how much they'll carry on those traits. Being a dad pulled out my dad's traits out in me that I didn't even know I had...the good and not so good. We're human. Focus and try to be the good so he or she will have a great kidhood and be a greater parent for it later. He/Her family model comes from you and mommy and she'll carry it on.

Cheers! (for you, not her. lol)

Back