Just some junk on Rockwells build thread..

From what I've seen, you don't have a big enough hammer to worry about breaking the toyota stuff. If you're gonna have rocks, you'd better get a real motor.:flipoff2:

All in due time...

You drove with a light foot too.. :flipoff2:

Got the front calipers in today.. these are big! I'm gonna have better brakes on the trail rig than i do on the tow rig :rolleyes:

and, just a shot of the axles on the trailer..

axlesinyard.jpg

frontcalipers.jpg

Hey Rich, is there a bolt left unturned on Blue? I'm starting to think the owner's manual includes the sentence "Remove, replace, repair, rebuild...repeat as needed".

Rich,glad u like the dually wheels,sam said it,it is a land cruiser thing,build what u want to build,built a buggy and it sucked, did great in comp but made trails to easy,so thats why im building the cruiser i am,keep us posted. PS. still looking for doors,cowl vent,front bib and headlight surrond.

Rich,glad u like the dually wheels,farmboy said it,it is a land cruiser thing,build what u want to build,built a buggy and it sucked, did great in comp but made trails to easy,so thats why im building the cruiser i am,keep us posted. PS. still looking for doors,cowl vent,front bib and headlight surrond.

when you were talking about the brakes i would go with the pinion brakes only if you are not going to drive it on the highway. they grab too much and they do chatter. i have the bluetorch pinion brakes on my f350, they work excellent too good for the highway. i had a set of 1 ton wheel disk brakes from usa6x6 on my other truck and they did not stop very well at all. with the wheel brakes you rally had to stand on them to get them to work. oh and that was with 4 wheel disk.

as for using wheel disks on the front and pinion on the rear, i would not recommend it because the rear will over power the front even with a proportioning valve turned all the way down on the rear brakes.

interesting.. what pads were you using on the wheel brakes.. MC size? booster?

Anyway, parts are trickling in... This came in today.. (The 3/8" rope that it came with is not pictured :D )

9-0RCwinch.jpg

sweetness! I looked at those for the rear of mine but i just couldnt justify the cost when i could get an 8000 for so much cheaper and have more rope. They are super bling though! This going on the rear i assume?

nope, front. gonna use the el-cheap Harbor freight or a Warn works 1100 for the rear.

This would be waaaay pricy for a rear winch, and i'd say 3/8" rope is a little overkill.. LOL.

Tell ya what, it's 60 lbs lighter than my 8274, and the mount will be 20 lbs lighter even after I add a boner bar.

Did you get the gold plated warn rope?

Damn near.. it's all green, so I don't think it's the $$$$ stuff they sell that has the red part at the drum, and then the rest, but I can only imagine what they want to replace it.

But it's included in the price... I certainly would have gone elsewhere had it not been. I do like this rope being more than twice as strong as the 5/16" cable I had before. Peace of mind.

the pads were changed out once for a supposedly more grip than what was on there. the mastercylinder was a 97f350 stock withthe vacuum booster. you really had to stand on the brakes but this was with 49 inch iroks and a 9,000lbs truck, so you might be ok. did you get the brakes from usa6x6?

I've only ordered the calipers so far because I got a great deal on them, so I haven't gotten the brackets yet. I do have to get the brakes from them, but at least it's only the brackets. This will see *some* (very limited) street time going to the trails, and maybe a run or 2 into town on a nice day. I've got an idea or 2 for the differences between the front & rear and how to better balance them out.

At the very least, mine should stop a little better being just under 5k# when completed.

The obligatory "Holy crap these shafts are big" picture.

Yes, I know they're not the desireable shafts, but I'm still gonna have a heckuva time breaking them.. The u-joint ones will go in the rear axle.

stubsizes.jpg

so you ended up with 1 of each ?
No, but I have to buy 2 short side shafts after the tubes are narrowed... those will be u-joint style.

I got one corner broken down and cleaned up today, as well as stripping the SBC bare.
There was a SHIT-TON of grease in there, i went through more than a roll of paper towels, but all the components are enormous... I likey.

About a gallon of water came out of one of the axles' drains though... :rolleyes:

Back