Killer Weldz Thread

@WARRIORWELDING. I definitely know what you mean. I had some great instructors that showed me what it takes to constantly get better and that the field is continuously evolving. I definitely don't do it for the money, if that were the case i would be welding full time on a pipeline in the middle of nowhere. I feel if you can grasp what fails and why and then troubleshooting and understanding how to fix it is then the easy part. My greatest moments are when my students come back and thank me and show me their skills. It is truly humbling and absolutely awesome. That's what it's all about.

@Jeff B @braxton357 @Croatan_Kid

I'm surprised it took that long for the thread to go there. Haha here is a teaser.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395717123.060182.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395717139.720448.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395717214.043243.jpg
ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395717233.731817.jpg

Damn....not my style! :( Nice welds though!

And nice rack :D (I'm talking about the tattoo, of course!)

Not sure which way is up. Cant tell if its big on bottom and little on top or vice versa :D

There gos another derail..

How do you like the 2%ceriated tungsten? I'm guessing by the 260hz you're using an inverter based machine. I haven't tried it yet because I'm stuck on E3 tungsten and love it. It's good for guys like me that run air cooled torches cause it runs at like half the temp of pure.

@Jake. Yes

@MarsFab. To be honest I have never welded with anything else. That is all we have ever had at school. It welds everything pretty well, but I have heard very good things about the e3.

These welds were on a 2 year old dynasty 350, but I honestly prefer the old Lincoln square wave 355 for most of my tig work.

@catfishblues thanks. I think I could mess with the balance for hours getting it dialed in better. 60-70% balance and 220-300 hz are my go to ranges for ac. Turns out we are out of 5356, but I have some at my personal shop I want to bring in and test them side by side. I remember liking 5356 better, but it's been a couple years going in depth on aluminum.

Wurd. The frequency range of a dynasty is awesome. My thermal arc tops out at 150hz and it's crazy what you can do with the arc. I can't imagine the control you'd have at 260hz. Really comes in handy when you're welding near an edge or if you have to weld next to a counterbore/countersunk hole. You can literally push the puddle where you want it.

We have a few Dynasty machines at work and they are so infinitely adjustable I could get lost just fiddling with the set up, but since I don't get paid to play I get to run very limited dialed in set ups. Its gotta be PRODUCTION" get er doon what you messing around for?" I hope that made since:confused:. But I seriously need to brush up on my stainless tig and mig. I've run so much aluminum over the last 12 yrs other alloys have suffered. And the whole cup walking thing I have never picked up the nack. My old instructor was old school and high SMAW oriented. He taught GTAW but primarily using Gas welding techniques. In my twenties I was steadier and just got used to putting it in hot and rolling with it in any position. This cup walking looks like a good way to steady my older tired arms and eyes. I put in 60 plus hrs. a week between my business and a full time job and fatigue is my number one worst enemy. Any good links to info and technique I could browse on the inner webs. My free time consist of about 30 or so minutes each evening around this time so getting some hands on from anybody is very limited. And NOBODY I'm around daily could care less about expanding their welding horizons.:kaioken:

ok guys and gals im just starting out on welding here's some of my very first stick welds any pointers??
note: these welds were done on ac.

Attachments

• IMG_0704.JPG
    IMG_0704.JPG
    186.4 KB · Views: 312
  • IMG_0707.JPG
    IMG_0707.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 285
  • IMG_0708.JPG
    IMG_0708.JPG
    143.9 KB · Views: 276
ok guys and gals im just starting out on welding here's some of my very first stick welds any pointers??

Those look fine, weave & travel looks good.

Keep an eye on your edges so your weld lines stay straight. Clean your steel better first too. You want no contamination. Anything over 1/4" thick, bevel the material 1/2 thickness. IE; If I am welding 1/2" plate I will bevel the plates about 45* (grinder) till I see about 1/4" of bevel surface. This is for structural areas.

Rusty metal=6011 (AC or DC) or 6010 (DC only)

Then to pretty it up and strengthen, run over the root with a 7018 or 7014. The 7014 will be easier for a beginner due to the high iron content making it easier to strike. The 7018 (DC only unless specified AC rod on the box) or lo-hi is better for blending different metals (high nickel content) and has a higher elongation before breaking. Best used for high impact areas. bumpers, cages, frames etc..

What rod type and size and what amperage did you make those welds?

Jeff's advice was excellent. Inter pass cleaning is critical so chip away, brush, pick all of the slag out before making next weld. Keep posting pics and we will be glad to give advice getting you in the right direction.

She was using a 6013 1/8 at 90 amps AC

Some small stainless practice. Need some more time to work on consistency.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1395887854.677859.jpg

@WARRIORWELDING I'll see what I can find on walking the cup. If I get some time I'll make a couple quick videos and do a write up on it for you, if I can't find anything good out there.

It's pretty simple, just a couple tricks with it. I learned from two other students when we all were taking class together. My instructor wouldn't teach us on it, mostly because of the danger of running too hot, and walking the cup into a still molten puddle and contaminating the weld.

Back