Killer Weldz Thread

bottom winch plate.jpg
tube weld bumper.jpg

Ran with .035 on my Miller 200 using 75/25 shield gas and Short Circuit Transfer. The top was two plate about 135 angle to one another with a open bevel and slight open root ( like 1/16 or so gap) single pass hammer down get er done style!

My stainless welds to me are crap! I can't seem to control the color!!!! I've gotten way to used to the fluidity of aluminum. I try to slow down but seems the slower I try to run the shakier I get. Like I said before I've never tried or watched someone proficient in "walking the cup."
This was some dirty stuff I had to repair at work by first grinding out a very porous mig weld from the original truck manufacturer but even when I do fresh clean work I get the same results.:(

stainless pipe to flat.jpg
stainless round dump.jpg

For me with stainless slowing down makes it harder to get the color. I get gray crystallized welds. Stainless is very heat sensitive. And it flows like water making it really hard to get a well shaped puddle. Where you feed the filler in the puddle like aluminum is key.
I don't get to weld it often but when I do it's a fight to get it right.

Looks like your using Cold Rolled Sheet stock or Polished and Oiled (PO) Either way you call it I'm digging the non mill scale stock to work with!

Yessir. Pickled & oiled. Once I bought the plasma table. I decided it was the way to go. Cuts better. Looks better. Shows all the cool HAZ and best of all I don't have to prep it!

index.php

Ran with .035 on my Miller 200 using 75/25 shield gas and Short Circuit Transfer. The top was two plate about 135 angle to one another with a open bevel and slight open root ( like 1/16 or so gap) single pass hammer down get er done style!

Welds like this are what make it easy to tell the "took 4 welding classes ace" from someone that has been there and done that a few times. It's easy to put a weld on a 6" pipe or .25"x2x6 piece of strap, running around an entire tube joint without looking like shit takes practice.

@MarsFab I agree....mill scale sucks ass! They'll blast anything that's getting welded at work, provided it's not attached to a large assembly...so I guess those guys don't really care. We also have a good sized flame cutter set up on oxygen and propane. They've been talking about getting a plasma head attachment for it for thinner material. I wish they'd go ahead and do it!

Yea it's nice. The cut surface is weldable fresh off the table. Though I usually still hit it with a wire brush.

My once in a lifetime contribution to this thread. ... My beads look much better after a cpl of days warming up. ..

1st & 2nd pass; .25x 2.5 receiver tube to .25 2x4. And a weld washer to prevent egging the pin hole.

uploadfromtaptalk1396146557406.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396146673993.jpg

.375 plate to .25 2x4 tube to 2x6 hvy channel- this chit sucks to weld to.

uploadfromtaptalk1396146775686.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1396146795752.jpg

From your buggy to the garage and on to the storage space and this, I don't think their is anything you haven't impressed me with. Nice work Cutler! I like the extra pin reinforcement. Fixed a few wallowed hitches myself.

This is taken from Instagram and I cropped out the owner. I don't like this weld at all and would not want it on a structural member such as a trailing arm. Looks nice but looks like gaps in the fusion between the "dimes" and I'm willing to bet the inside matches.

Stirring the pot with this one.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1396461183.381694.jpg

^That looks like the bullshit poison spider used to put out and defend.

Yeah I've seen some poison spider stuff that looked similar. Trent Fab also put out some welds that look similar to those. I was a little shocked to see it coming from Campbell.

This is taken from Instagram and I cropped out the owner. I don't like this weld at all and would not want it on a structural member such as a trailing arm. Looks nice but looks like gaps in the fusion between the "dimes" and I'm willing to bet the inside matches.

Stirring the pot with this one.

View attachment 151309
Dudes got good rhythm and steady hands but has no idea what it takes to make a sound weld. He's stepping so far that the leading edge is cooling. I always preach that gun English is what the dime stack takes but you have to understand the puddle to do it right. Never mind the fact that he welded it outside in 40mph winds and his wire feed was too fast.

I'm guessing that this was done by someone we've all heard of in the industry. It really pisses me off that shops like that make the big bucks and I can hardly get paid enough to break even smh.

that is Campbell Ent stuff on there new ultra4 spec class build..
like "Shannon Campbell" Campbell?? I haven't followed rags and mags like I used to, been working to much for like the last ten years. But I remember when hen build some of the first Real Chassis based rigs with rectangle sub frames and such. Has his work always looked like this close up or are the hired hands lost their minds??? uuuuggghhhhh!

Back