Killer Weldz Thread

Working on my late great aunt's f150 that my mom inherited today. Needed a fuel pump and filter to get it running.

Needed to pull the bumper off the fender and made this hook for the job.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427651245.991237.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427651314.249344.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427651400.123665.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427651547.163690.jpg

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1427651591.785659.jpg

so i'll ask the dumb question here: what is TIG welding..it looks very fancy and neat. i've always heard of tig welding but never really found out what it is.

Tungsten Inert Gas welding or GTAW

Uses a tungsten electrode and gas to shield the arc (much like mig) but the filler is hand fed with the other hand. Many machines have a foot pedal to control the amount of amperage.

Tungsten Inert Gas welding or GTAW

Uses a tungsten electrode and gas to shield the arc (much like mig) but the filler is hand fed with the other hand. Many machines have a foot pedal to control the amount of amperage.
holy cow...so for the ones who have really neat tig welds...that's impressive i guess since you feed the wire. now what is purpose of TIG welding? hotter better stonger? obviously neater lol

holy cow...so for the ones who have really neat tig welds...that's impressive i guess since you feed the wire. now what is purpose of TIG welding? hotter better stonger? obviously neater lol

It was first developed and is still widely used for welding alloys other than low carbon steel such as chromoly, aluminum, manganese, titanium, copper, stainless.

Gtaw's original purpose was to create weldments on aluminum structures for the military aircraft industry for ww2. This enabled the aircraft to be lighter and stronger than of the others using conventional construction practices of the time.

Today GTAW is commonly used for many varying uses. The advantage of TIG over MIG welding on low carbon steels is far greater user control of all aspects of the weld pool, including puddle size, welding current, deposition rate, puddle depth, etc. Another advantage of tig over mig welding is that the tig
Weld has far greater arc force than mig welding, as well the weld pool is much less affected by the force of gravity when working out of position.

Strength is the same between tig and mig welding as both commonly use the er70s2 or er70s6 alloys, both having a 70k lb tensile strength.

This only applies to accurately and correctly executed welds free of defects and other fusion related discontinuities.

This is definitely the condensed answer.

TIG is a lot cleaner, but REQUIRES the material to be a lot cleaner too. Clean material benefits all types of welding though.

well thank you all for the lesson. cool to learn finally. looks really cool.

@MarsFab is still the only guy Ive ever seen weld aluminum and the metal around the weld that isnt welded is jealous it doesnt look as good.

Chris welded a wheel for me once and a while later I traded the rim in for a replacement to a "professional" rim repair shop. The owner said, "Please give me the guys number that welded this and PLEASE dont give anyone else his number."

The funny part Chris was so disappointed in the way the weld turned out he refused to let me pay him.

::beer::

Finally got some much needed practice in.
I've learned a good bit from this thread. That, and it's great motivation seeing some of these welds.

The 1st two where horizontal pulling from right to left.
The last pic. Is vertical uphill. I suck at welding uphill and my welds always like to hump up in the middle. So if anyone has any pointers it would be greatly appreciated:)

20150403_142713.jpg
20150403_142725.jpg
20150403_150225.jpg

Those look great!

I was once told by a guy who's a great welder that gravity is your biggest enemy welding uphill and overhead and that once I thoroughly understood that I'd be able to make a good out of position weld.

That hump in the middle of your weld is where Gravity is pulling the molten metal/puddle down laying it on top of the last weave that has started to cool. Obviously you want the metal to stay molten but you need to change where that molten metal is slightly and you need to deposit less wire into the center of the weld.

I assume you're doing some sort of circle or c pattern as you go up. Try sticking with the same pattern but pause a little on the sides and cross the center faster. Just make sure you stay on that molten leading edge don't go above it.

I see a lot of guys do a figure 8 on its side weave uphill. Doing the circles on the sides instead of the center help deposit filler in the sides to cut down on under cut.

Disclaimer. I suck at uphill and rarely do it other than on an occasional tube joint so take this as unproven advice lol.

Thanks!

Yeah gravity sucks! I know it's not right but I always want to travel faster to keep it from pooling up in the center, then I get to far ahead and it makes it even worse!
I'll try to focus on pausing on the sides a little longer.

A weave sort of like in the picture is what I've been trying and seems to work best. I haven't seen or tried the figure 8 pattern but I will give it a shot.
tade9ume.jpg

Thanks for the pointers!

Grosses over 80k, 115ft Arial platform. Cross member repairs, replace. Both walking beams getting rebushinged and new torque arms. Third truck for the frame related fatigue. Off thread topic but here is picks of the second one in progress.0211151034.jpg 0211151702.jpg

Back