Lawn and Landscape

I need to cut a few larger tree limbs off. Is there any specific time of the year to do it? Any proper way besides just taking a saw to it? I don't want to kill the tree, just get the limbs out of the was so I don't have to mow that area of the lawn on my knees.

Sent from my VS985 4G using Tapatalk

Here's a good video too....

How to Hand-Prune Trees

Roundup won't kill Bermuda grass anyway, maybe 4 apps two weeks apart

Try it, spray it, it will turn brown, then start greening back up after two weeks

Roundup won't kill Bermuda grass anyway, maybe 4 apps two weeks apart

Try it, spray it, it will turn brown, then start greening back up after two weeks
The only way to eradicate bermuda is to spray it when it is ACTIVELY growing, re apply in 7-10 days, and then again in another 7-10. Then till 4''-6'' and pick out any stems and root matter that you can find. It's a total renovation and can work if you are judicious about getting out the leftover roots and debris from it.
I used to do this for people but don't anymore because it's such a PITA an the cost is crazy

We've been hitting the Bermuda in the beds with round up and it seems to be taking, but it just pops up somewhere else. Spectracide seems to hurt it if the concentration is up, but it doesn't seem to last. I need to kill about 10ksf of it later this summer to replace with fescue, so I'm all ears on suggestions.

I have found that the warm season grasses don't seem to do well in high traffic areas in the winter. They get torn up while they're dormant. They come back in May, but it takes a bit before they fill in the bare spots.

We've been hitting the Bermuda in the beds with round up and it seems to be taking, but it just pops up somewhere else. Spectracide seems to hurt it if the concentration is up, but it doesn't seem to last. I need to kill about 10ksf of it later this summer to replace with fescue, so I'm all ears on suggestions.

I have found that the warm season grasses don't seem to do well in high traffic areas in the winter. They get torn up while they're dormant. They come back in May, but it takes a bit before they fill in the bare spots.

I had thought about renting a sod cutter and cutting it all out in my problem area, then replacing with fescue. I know it probably wouldn't get all of it, but I think it would eventually be shaded out by the fescue. Someone might even buy the sod if it's in decent condition ...

Right, and that's where I wonder if regular Spectracide applications at fescue strength would help finish it off.

Right, and that's where I wonder if regular Spectracide applications at fescue strength would help finish it off.
Any weed or grass that you are trying to kill, be it with Round Up or any other has to be actively growing so it can uptake the herbicide so your best bet is to start spraying when growth is optimum for that variety of weed/grass. Bermuda had underground rhizomes that trail just like the above ground vine part of the plant. That's why its so hard to kill, (see my above reply)
If its creeping into your beds it is best to edge the beds with a weedeater or better yet a mechanical edger to cut the ''tillers'' (viney parts) as they infiltrate the beds.
Bermuda grass was designed by the Devil!:kaioken::D

Bermuda rhizomes will grow under a driveway and come out the other side. Your weed whacker is only doing superficial damage.

Thanks! Worked perfectly and now I don't have to crawl around to mow that part of the lawn. I need to cut some of the branches on my peach tree, but they are currently bearing fruit so I'll leave them be for now.

I like peaches.... Lol

Can anyone tell me what these little fawkers are?!?! I pull em, spray em and they keep coming back in different spots. Root system is pretty thick... they're green with redish orangish leafs
auploads.tapatalk_cdn.com_20160706_6cf77764782ff2947209389bc2d18f5b.jpg

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Hard to tell from pic but look like crepe myrtle saplings. Woody stem growth takes a different chemical to break down the waxy leaf surface so it will absorb 2-4d. Triclopyr is such chemical. Try spraying crossbow (Dow brand) or check at tractor supply for a generic brush killer with ~35% 2-4 D and ~15% Triclopyr.

Edit: Home Depot apparently sells crossbow

Southern AG Inc 24863 Crossbow Herbicide 2,4-D + Triclopyr - Qt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Can anyone tell me what these little fawkers are?!?! I pull em, spray em and they keep coming back in different spots. Root system is pretty thick... they're green with redish orangish leafs
View attachment 222713

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Crepe Myrtle.

This is depressing. I will be having a sprinkler system installed early next spring.

My lawn in early spring of 2016:
Lawn in spring.jpg

My lawn in mid September of 2016 after about 2.5-3 months of 90+ degree heat and no rain for about 7 weeks:
Lawn end of summer.jpg

What you need is some bermuda...

Beautiful house on a fantastic lot!

Thanks. We just had the house built about 3 years ago. I am 42 yrs old and I plan on living there until the grim reaper comes for me.

My yard didn't he same 4 years ago.
I'd bet you had a lot of rye in that green stand.

This is depressing. I will be having a sprinkler system installed early next spring.

My lawn in early spring of 2016:
View attachment 229386

My lawn in mid September of 2016 after about 2.5-3 months of 90+ degree heat and no rain for about 7 weeks:
View attachment 229387

Mine looks just as bad even with irrigation. The grub worms have played havoc this year again

Mine looks just as bad even with irrigation. The grub worms have played havoc this year again
Same here. It was beautiful until mid-late july, then just started slipping away. I tilled up half of it yesterday in preparation for reseeding because it had NO vegetation in it.

Back