Lawn and Landscape

Two things. My front yard is pretty thin as it's relatively new and there are some bare spots. I know I can't really overseed til fall but is there anything I can apply to the entire yard to thicken it up? Just did pre ems few weeks ago.
cae28810670fb17ab676f78e2b9c8b6a.jpg

My backyard is different colors as I mentioned from them using a blend of fescue and Kentucky I think. The darker green grows great the other not so much. So wondering if whatever I can use for the front I can use in back as well?

aae388741a4c9e8ed49c168cdacf9a39.jpg

Now my backyard isn't as important sorta cause my two dogs limit it but still want to improve it

Front yard spots looks like where you had weeds last year. As you work it with pre emergents , regular feeding, Fall overseeding, and a good winter feeding it will get better. Right now it is struggling from drought. If you haven't applied any calcitic (fast) lime then now would be a good time. Our pre em and fert app was timed right, the dam cold snap we had was not!
A soil test from NC State/NC Dept of Agriculture OR one from SiteOne would be very helpful. You do these and send them in. Clean up those leftover leaves and debris as they create harmful bacteria that hampers growth.
Other than that you have done about all that you can do UNLESS you apply some iron. It's usually a spray app but you can buy Ironite granular.
Mainly just let Spring do it's thing.

Edit: You may want to raise your mower blades to 3.5"-4" also. It will look more full.

Yes the front yard those bare spots used to be bushes that were removed before I bought the house and a couple huge trees so I know it'll take time with that. I've applied like about week and half before pre em. I'll look into ironite application. Mower blades are about 3", guess I can move up. Should I do any additional watering in am/pm like I did in fall after aeration overseeing?

Can I kill this with broadleaf?

7930822d95376c0a4c78b07fd46a2b5d.jpg

Not even sure what it is but there's a decent amount of it. Was going to do broadleaf killer this weekend

Can I kill this with broadleaf?

7930822d95376c0a4c78b07fd46a2b5d.jpg

Not even sure what it is but there's a decent amount of it. Was going to do broadleaf killer this weekend
No that is Poa Annua, a total PITA weed! The best treatment is to apply pre emerergents to the entire lawn in Early September, and then November two years consecutively. Of course that means you can't over seed with fescue except in Spring... Round up will kill it but all of those white seed heads are just waiting to sprout the next Fall plus you have dead spots from the Round Up that you have to address. The heat will kill it once it warms up. It's best to learn to live with it until it's just too much to handle.

Luckily it's in the backyard so I'm not to bothered by it but I also don't want it either. The area it's in I'm going to be doing a paver patio and I'll be digging most it out anyway. Just don't want it to spread when I mow this week

Here is the area it's in

b57911205f8b5991c02a23fe33b9af73.jpg

I'll be doing a paver patio maybe I'll just extend it out further than planned and dig it all out. Can I kill it now though is the question?

Thanks. Guess I'll let it ride for now. Seeing that picture is lighting a fire under my ass to get this patio done and stop looking at this trash of an area!

Any idea why this area of my grass seems to be dying? Not the bare spots but the grass is turning brown where it was once growing. Not just the tips of the grass either

b7e767ae7348fd660ad2c1e81807661d.jpg

c7e6afe84d9f868b6f49d0b8aa31575b.jpg

bd538abc3fee307c74619b4f94959ab3.jpg

Could be ants or grubworms. Have you put any kind of insect control out? They eat the grass from the roots up.

I only know this because despite all I did my yard looked like a dog with mange until I started putting out insect control

I thought about fungus but thought that just browns the tips of the blades but I don't know much so could be wrong. And no, haven't put out any insect control but will if that'll help. Everywhere seems to be doing really well with what I've done so far and this area as well until recently

Could be ants or grubworms. Have you put any kind of insect control out? They eat the grass from the roots up.

I only know this because despite all I did my yard looked like a dog with mange until I started putting out insect control

Any specific brand you recommend? Can I do an insect and fungus control at the same time or spread them out?

I'd say grubs too. Dig up a section or two bust up the dirt with a shovel, grubs are easy to spot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I have this thread "watched" but this didn't come up in my alerts... Looks like fungus and I am seeing it already in a lot of places. I'll be spraying next week on several. Grubs are active now too and its a good time to treat for them. Again, go to SiteOne and get your supplies! So much better than the box store crap. SiteOne had Headway granular for fungus and it works but not as good as a quality spray. They also have great granular grub control products. You can put them down at the same time or a day or two apart. The consumer brand fungus products at box stores that go on the end of the hose are $17 for a bottle that covers 3000 square feet and it only lasts 5-7 days. It's the most expensive and least effective that you can buy.

Yes, everything is attacking now and you did good to apply insect control

There's a SiteOne even closer to my house than lowes or Home Depot, didn't even know! I'll get this addressed asap as this area of my lawn is my thinnest as well. Is there a reason why fungus is hitting everywhere right now? All the rain?

There's a SiteOne even closer to my house than lowes or Home Depot, didn't even know! I'll get this addressed asap as this area of my lawn is my thinnest as well. Is there a reason why fungus is hitting everywhere right now? All the rain?
Ive actually been surprized at the amount of fungus we have had already. With the cooler temps I figured we had a couple more weeks before we would see it. It is triggered by soil temps. We had a couple weeks of hot muggy weather and once it is set in, it's here for the summer. Yours doesnt look like traditional brown patch which is a better defined round spot but it can show up in different ways. Take your pics with you and show them at SiteOne and they can identify better. Buddy up with them some and ask for a better price, they have room to work, even tell them you do lawns on the weekends or something so maybe you get contractor pricing.
One more thought on this, is this where a dog might pee regularly? Or did it used to be a natural area that you seeded last Fall?

Ive actually been surprized at the amount of fungus we have had already. With the cooler temps I figured we had a couple more weeks before we would see it. It is triggered by soil temps. We had a couple weeks of hot muggy weather and once it is set in, it's here for the summer. Yours doesnt look like traditional brown patch which is a better defined round spot but it can show up in different ways. Take your pics with you and show them at SiteOne and they can identify better. Buddy up with them some and ask for a better price, they have room to work, even tell them you do lawns on the weekends or something so maybe you get contractor pricing.
One more thought on this, is this where a dog might pee regularly? Or did it used to be a natural area that you seeded last Fall?

Sorry just seeing your response. This is my front yard and absolutely no dogs are allowed in the front. I procrastinated to long and have several spots now but put out some treatment Friday to halt any more.

What I am still fighting are crepe myrtle saplings. I thought I killed me off last year but they've sprouted again. Last year I killed surrounding grass and I'm not trying to do that so I've been clipping and using a soaked rag/towel to wrap around stem so it absorbs the stuff but it's not working well. Next to digging up the yard I'm at a loss. I'll pay anyone to fix these little fawkers and get rid of them for good!

Sorry just seeing your response. This is my front yard and absolutely no dogs are allowed in the front. I procrastinated to long and have several spots now but put out some treatment Friday to halt any more.

What I am still fighting are crepe myrtle saplings. I thought I killed me off last year but they've sprouted again. Last year I killed surrounding grass and I'm not trying to do that so I've been clipping and using a soaked rag/towel to wrap around stem so it absorbs the stuff but it's not working well. Next to digging up the yard I'm at a loss. I'll pay anyone to fix these little fawkers and get rid of them for good!
They grow from the roots. Not too hard to kill with broadleaf weed killer. It may take two applications per year for a couple years.

They grow from the roots. Not too hard to kill with broadleaf weed killer. It may take two applications per year for a couple years.

So just keep cutting and applying to the bases? Also I'm assuming since fescue is a bunch type growth grass, the area fungus killed is done til fall when I can reseed?

Back