Lawn and Landscape

What's turning a couple of my green giants brown? 3 or 4 out of 9 have started turning brown. We have had plenty of rain and I water them if it doesn't rain for a couple days. My saltwater pool is just above this, could run off of the saltwater cause it?

These were planted around mid April.

81428db5f212b0e6d35cc92220a229dc.jpg
a0d6533b5c33f8bd47e5616ebcd45538.jpg
05cc2ce020966c89bb4062e016999e15.jpg

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

I've not had luck with Green Giants. I had 5, mature Green Giants planted in my yard a number of years ago. Two were planted in one area and those are still living. Three were planted in the front yard (shade in the morning, full sun from mid-day on) and all 3 turned brown and died but at different times. The first to go was probably 3 years after they were planted. Next one went 12 - 18 months after the first and the third went in approximately the same time frame. No idea what happened.

What's turning a couple of my green giants brown? 3 or 4 out of 9 have started turning brown. We have had plenty of rain and I water them if it doesn't rain for a couple days. My saltwater pool is just above this, could run off of the saltwater cause it?

What kind of soil do you have? Clay? Sand? Silt (clay/sand mix)? If you have a rich soil, you could be watering too much and causing root rot. They only need about 1" of water a week including rainfall during the first year of planting. You could add some mulch about 3-4" thick around them and it'll help hold the water in the soil as well and you wont have to water it nearly as often (if at all). Good rule of thumb is to take your finger and dig into the ground about 2 inches, if its wet leave it be and if its dry throw some water on them. Now if its not a watering issue, then it could be a leafminer pest issue which can be treated with an insecticide containing Spinosad.

What kind of soil do you have? Clay? Sand? Silt (clay/sand mix)? If you have a rich soil, you could be watering too much and causing root rot. They only need about 1" of water a week including rainfall during the first year of planting. You could add some mulch about 3-4" thick around them and it'll help hold the water in the soil as well and you wont have to water it nearly as often (if at all). Good rule of thumb is to take your finger and dig into the ground about 2 inches, if its wet leave it be and if its dry throw some water on them. Now if its not a watering issue, then it could be a leafminer pest issue which can be treated with an insecticide containing Spinosad.
Clay soil. I tilled a hole and mixed in 50% "lawn and garden soil" when planted.

It seems to be on the one tree all over and the others are on the side that is facing that tree. Almost seems like a pest or disease spreading from that one tree.

Clay soil. I tilled a hole and mixed in 50% "lawn and garden soil" when planted.

It seems to be on the one tree all over and the others are on the side that is facing that tree. Almost seems like a pest or disease spreading from that one tree.

I believe i would still lean towards the root rot assumption just due to the way the foliage is browning up. Even though you mixed the garden soil in with it, the clay can act more like a pot in its on and hold water just due to the fact that clay sucks at letting water pass through it. Even though its on the one tree more than the others, it could just be the way the water is draining in the soil.

Dig up the worst one and see if it is sitting in water. If they haven't been there long, it won't be a big deal.

I've only got one, but a Juniper, I brought home & replanted 7[?] years or more, back. It's doubled in size, sits next to my shrubbery, on the sunny end. It's slowly dying. Everything around it is doing fine. Haven't done anything to any of the greenery, in years. I leave it to nature. Maybe it's a life span?

Pool saltwater could def cause this. Also I see grass/weeds around them, are you weedeating around the bases of them? If so and it's cutting the bark, that could be your issue.

Checked for bag worms?

Here's mine. I have used Round-up, near it, for a long time, but try not to get on things I want to keep. And the bushes, climbing flower, & ornamental grass, are doing fine!

Attachments

• IMG_20200627_123612139_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20200627_123612139_HDR.jpg
    297.3 KB · Views: 182
Here's mine. I have used Round-up, near it, for a long time, but try not to get on things I want to keep. And the bushes, climbing flower, & ornamental grass, are doing fine!
That is a Parsoni Juniper. They do tend to die out with age. Spider mites are a problem and there is also a fungus (that I can't think of the name right now) that attacks them. To check for mites of any kind get a sheet of white paper and put it under the foliage and shake the foliage. Then bring the paper up and look for movement. If you see tiny specs moving around then those are mites. Spider mites are red and are much easier to see and create a red streak when you mash them. That plant is too far gone to save but check for mites because they affect the other plants too. You have to use a miticide to kill mites, regular insecticides only suppress them.

Pool saltwater could def cause this. Also I see grass/weeds around them, are you weedeating around the bases of them? If so and it's cutting the bark, that could be your issue.
Yes I have weedeated around them.

Yes I have weedeated around them.

Well check the bark to see if it's cut around the base. If so then that's the issue. All of the nutrients and moisture travel between the bark and the actual wood so that would be cutting their throat so to speak. It would be best to have about 3'' of mulch around them. The grass/weeds would have to be killed first and some of it's too close to get with round up so either pull them or cover with 4-5 layers of newspaper and then put mulch down. Make an entire bed under them and about 2'-3' out in front of them. If their bark is severely cut they won't recover so replace the worst and hope for the best on the rest. Stuff happens some times!

None of them fell were i wanted them to,between the big pine on the left and the big poplar on the right w the dead ivy on it.The feller seemed to be a bit green and a few if his cuts were off.Also 2 of them hung in other trees and rolled as the fell.

Last edited:

could be the saltwater but it would be affecting all of them

check moisture levels around those 2, if they are staying wet, it’s probably root rot or a Pythium type disease, Drench with subdue or generic mefanoxan

same could be true if it wasn’t getting enough water

90% of the time when things Stewart browning out it a root disfunction disease of some sorts

Haven't sent off for soil test yet, but any idea why the Kentucky fescue has taken such a horrible turn in the last month?

All cut soil. Approx 5ft of cut at this location. Applied lime and seed in april with straw covering. Watered every other day when not raining. Grew thick and fine. Added 10-10-10 and more lime in early may. Turned an awesome deep green and thickened up like crazy. Kept the watering on an every other day schedule. But just absolutely DIED here in the last 3 weeks

20200701_110710.jpg

Haven't sent off for soil test yet, but any idea why the Kentucky fescue has taken such a horrible turn in the last month?

All cut soil. Approx 5ft of cut at this location. Applied lime and seed in april with straw covering. Watered every other day when not raining. Grew thick and fine. Added 10-10-10 and more lime in early may. Turned an awesome deep green and thickened up like crazy. Kept the watering on an every other day schedule. But just absolutely DIED here in the last 3 weeks

View attachment 321166
All the grass I planted early this year has done the same thing. Looked great and then just flat out died.

Fungus? I've got some areas doing the same thing lately.

Back