Lawn and Landscape

When I get back from school (end of March) I have a pelletized lime treatment to do then looking to over seed the mess of mixed grass I have right now (1.5 acres). Initial plan is surround fence and to put goats on it to graze/ natural fertilizer. Eventually turning into a 4 place rotational pasture area. What is the best/durable spring/summer grass? Fall time I will overawed again with rye to keep green on and give something for them to munch on. Last year I put out $250 worth of bahia and it did nothing. Looking for something that’s gonna come up. Soil is a dark loam. Area is Aberdeen. And, go...
I'm a cool season turf guy so I'm not much help to you. If you're doing rye then maybe you just need to fert more in summer?

This and it’s STUPID $$ for pasture although it’s perfect for what the they like to graze on. If I was baling it, yes. Pasture? It’s hard to justify the $$ to return.
Your kinda on the Piedmont coastal line, I'm going to say just fescue, It seems to come back pretty good after a hard grazing/ winter. It's going to be hard to keep the weeds out, if it gets low. The hay field we have is the best looking one, a good stand helps to choke out the weeds.

Any idea what is going on with these shrubs the one is always green and great. The others have the brown going on. They are all planted about two feet apart.
PXL_20210402_131011658.jpg
PXL_20210402_131018697.jpg

So the previous owner of my house planted zoisia in the front yard. Genius move since it's shaded a fair amount of the day. It will only grow in the area that has the most sun. You can see in the pics what I'm dealing with. The rest i keep in decent shape with fescue. Do i have any options other than overseeing with rye in the fall? I wouldn't mind getting rid of the zoisia completely, but don't know if it's worth the work.
20210417_152618.jpg

Any idea what is going on with these shrubs the one is always green and great. The others have the brown going on. They are all planted about two feet apart.View attachment 342396View attachment 342397
Sorry I missed this when you posted. Looks like good old root rot. There is a widespread fungal disease affecting boxwoods called boxwood blight and it could be that too. They won't come back and if you replace with boxwoods they will most likely get it too. Seeing those soaker hoses makes me think that they may have been overwatered. Boxwoods don't like wet feet.

Last edited:
So the previous owner of my house planted zoisia in the front yard. Genius move since it's shaded a fair amount of the day. It will only grow in the area that has the most sun. You can see in the pics what I'm dealing with. The rest i keep in decent shape with fescue. Do i have any options other than overseeing with rye in the fall? I wouldn't mind getting rid of the zoisia completely, but don't know if it's worth the work. View attachment 344396
This is a great example of how species don't always co exist! Overseeding with rye in the fall will give you some green but it will also be a different shade of green, not deep and dark like your fescue. If youre gonna swith to all fescue then you got to kill it with repeated round up apps in August, sept, and then be ready to renovate Sept. 15 thru Oct, 1. Since it's shady you'll want to hit in the early part of the seeding season to get it started.

My biggest issue with our yard (Front and back) is I get caught up in one thing and then forget about something else and then when I finally remember, its too late. We have a natural area in our front yard that we have been working on for the past 3-4 years or so and working on getting stuff in there that blooms at different stages, so we always have blooms till late fall, but then months will go by and i will forget to fertilize the lawn or spray for weeds. So this year, I printed out a calendar that will help (hopefully) remind me of when I need to do what.

My biggest issue with our yard (Front and back) is I get caught up in one thing and then forget about something else and then when I finally remember, its too late. We have a natural area in our front yard that we have been working on for the past 3-4 years or so and working on getting stuff in there that blooms at different stages, so we always have blooms till late fall, but then months will go by and i will forget to fertilize the lawn or spray for weeds. So this year, I printed out a calendar that will help (hopefully) remind me of when I need to do what.
Pay the man...I honestly think the costs are on par with buying the stuff and doing it yourself. The guys that have accounts at places like SiteOne, Green Resource, etc. are buying in bulk and get it much cheaper than your typical homeowner doing it themselves. I was in the same boat as you, I'd plug and seed in the fall and then expect everything to be great while not doing anything else throughout the year. I've got a guy doing mine now and it's already looking much better than it ever has in the nearly 2 years we've been at our house. Since your in HP, he'd likely take on yours too if interested. PM me if so and I'll give you his contact info.

Pay the man...I honestly think the costs are on par with buying the stuff and doing it yourself. The guys that have accounts at places like SiteOne, Green Resource, etc. are buying in bulk and get it much cheaper than your typical homeowner doing it themselves. I was in the same boat as you, I'd plug and seed in the fall and then expect everything to be great while not doing anything else throughout the year. I've got a guy doing mine now and it's already looking much better than it ever has in the nearly 2 years we've been at our house. Since your in HP, he'd likely take on yours too if interested. PM me if so and I'll give you his contact info.
IF the MAN is worth a crap! :D

On a recent pool job, & even my boss was there. We got to talking to the homeowner, & we noted how Green his grass was, plus 3 adjoining neighbors yards. Home owner said he started it with his, & the his neighbors hired him to do theirs. That's pretty darn convient! :)

This is a great example of how species don't always co exist! Overseeding with rye in the fall will give you some green but it will also be a different shade of green, not deep and dark like your fescue. If youre gonna swith to all fescue then you got to kill it with repeated round up apps in August, sept, and then be ready to renovate Sept. 15 thru Oct, 1. Since it's shady you'll want to hit in the early part of the seeding season to get it started.
If i decide to round up i have a couple questions.

Will i have to get up the dead grass? How long from the last round up treatment till i can seed?

If i decide to round up i have a couple questions.

Will i have to get up the dead grass? How long from the last round up treatment till i can seed?
Zoysia is easier to kill than common bermuda. So if you decide to go that route I would start the kill on August 15 when you have mowed 3-4 days prior, then another complete spray 10 days later, and then another in 10 days. Renovate Sept 15-30. I like to core aerate first, apply half recommended amount of starter fert, then slit seed in the fescue and add other half of fert. You don't have to remove dead grass and it can actually act as your "mulch" in place of wheat straw or other top dressings. You can use peat moss over top of completely bare areas. Remember to keep the water to it so it doesn't dry completely out but don't keep it swamped.

Got a question for the grass growers. I am about finished building my road into my property and that consisted of building the first 600' of road up 4ft. I want to plant grass on the side of the gravel and down the slope. I'm being told by people to go buy seed and just throw it out now even though it is winter. Any advice?

Got a question for the grass growers. I am about finished building my road into my property and that consisted of building the first 600' of road up 4ft. I want to plant grass on the side of the gravel and down the slope. I'm being told by people to go buy seed and just throw it out now even though it is winter. Any advice?
Thats about all you can do unless you got that sod money. Winter Rye should come up well and hold the dirt in place, but will die out in spring.

Rye will still come up but this summer if you don’t plant a warm season grass you will have no grass during the heat.

You are in a bad situation for growing real grass. If you don't do something, you'll possibly get bad erosion, and being in Winston, you'll likely not get germination even with this warm weather we are having. That being said you should scarify the surface and seed with a rye mix and mulch with wheat straw to hold the soil. It sucks to waste the effort and funds but if we get rain it'll wash out your road and you'll be starting over.
Rye grass will germinate at some degree and help hold the soil, along with the wheat straw. Fescue wont do crap right now so dont kid yourself with it.
Site One has a "Contractor Mix" that has rye or just buy Rye Grass and seed at a very light rate along with a good AG grade 17-17-17 or 19-19-19 or even regular Starter Fert.
Plan to re do it next season if you want actual grass on it.
If you're going to proceed, hit me up on PM and I'll try to help further.

It's about that time. Up until the past week, my yard has been a nice light brown of dormant Bermuda. I thought I needed to wait a few weeks to put out pre emergent but I noticed Saturday that I have all of a sudden sprouted a nice crop of weeds. I ordered some Prodiamine off do your own pest control yesterday and plan to spray it and some trimec this weekend. I think I need to wait a little longer until my Bermuda is ready to come up to fertilize. Solid plan?

It's about that time. Up until the past week, my yard has been a nice light brown of dormant Bermuda. I thought I needed to wait a few weeks to put out pre emergent but I noticed Saturday that I have all of a sudden sprouted a nice crop of weeds. I ordered some Prodiamine off do your own pest control yesterday and plan to spray it and some trimec this weekend. I think I need to wait a little longer until my Bermuda is ready to come up to fertilize. Solid plan?
Yeah don't put any nitrogen on it until about May. I'm a fescue guy but have to deal with warm season turf on occasion. Knock out that broadleaf before it flowers if possible.

Back