Lawn and Landscape

Against my better judgement I prepped a section of my yard and seeded it with fescue about 2 weeks ago (~250sf previously mulch/natural) when we had some unseasonably warm weather in Raleigh. It’s coming in very good, but is there anything I can do to protect it against a potential late season frost? Water, tarp, etc? It’s likely going to die out this summer but I’m was just trying to see if I can get grass to grow in this area before spending big $$$ on sod

Against my better judgement I prepped a section of my yard and seeded it with fescue about 2 weeks ago (~250sf previously mulch/natural) when we had some unseasonably warm weather in Raleigh. It’s coming in very good, but is there anything I can do to protect it against a potential late season frost? Water, tarp, etc? It’s likely going to die out this summer but I’m was just trying to see if I can get grass to grow in this area before spending big $$$ on sod

I typically setup sprinklers and have them run early in the morning, before the frost sets in. In my experience, watering them heavy helps prevent the frost damage. You will also need to water them thoroughly this summer to keep it alive in the heat.

Frost won't hurt just make sure its watered well before like Para..he said, I wouldn't even worry about watering early in AM just don't let it be dry so the cold and wind can zap the moisture from it.

Getting rid of wild onions?
Manor or metsulforan-methyl

2-4d ester not the amine formulation, similar to what’s in the herbicide called cool power does very well on onions and wild garlic

I actually reduce rates of both products and mix them together for weed control on all broadleaf weeds and some grassy weeds

My grass is looking good this spring.

PXL_20220410_175700817.jpg

2nd summer after seeding and the Bermuda is finally starting to look decent. I missed the boat on pre-emerg this year, but other than a few random patches of fennel and crabgrass she's looking right. Zero irrigation and one application of fertilizer.

IMG_20220723_172726458_HDR.jpg

Mosquitoes have been horrible at the house this year,
has anyone rigged up a mist system for a backpack leaf blower?

Any better way to spray besides the mister tip on a pump sprayer?

Mosquitoes have been horrible at the house this year,
has anyone rigged up a mist system for a backpack leaf blower?

Any better way to spray besides the mister tip on a pump sprayer?
I feel like Ken did something. @BRUISER

I feel like Ken did something. @BRUISER
Dang you are good :)

I purchase my own backpack mister and I spray my yard and my neighbors. BifenIT is the chemical.

Last about 1 month per spray.

My neighbor did the backpack leaf blower with the sprayer attachment he found online. His works ok but not great.

I know this is probably a losing battle, but i figured i'd ask here. The grass around my cabin is infested with poison ivy. Way too much poison ivy to try to spot spray it, i would literally have to kill the entire area around the cabin to hit all the ivy. I think i could control it if i was able to make it up there regularly enough to keep things mowed, but that isnt really an option either. Is there any broadleaf herbicide strong enough to tackle the poison ivy, but leave my grass intact?

I know this is probably a losing battle, but i figured i'd ask here. The grass around my cabin is infested with poison ivy. Way too much poison ivy to try to spot spray it, i would literally have to kill the entire area around the cabin to hit all the ivy. I think i could control it if i was able to make it up there regularly enough to keep things mowed, but that isnt really an option either. Is there any broadleaf herbicide strong enough to tackle the poison ivy, but leave my grass intact?
Check out Crossbow. They even sell it at LowesDepot

It does a pretty good job on the hearty stuff, and doesn't destroy the grass. It will turn it brown for a few weeks though depending on how heavy you apply and time of year.

Get a goat.

Attachment for normal back pack blower

Get a goat.

I had these two strays show up and for a couple years they took up residence in the old log cabin, but i have no fences and eventually they found a predator, or some greener pastures somewhere else and left. I only get up there 3-5 times a year, so I wouldn't feel right leaving animals up there to fend for themselves.
Goats.jpg

Check out Crossbow. They even sell it at LowesDepot

It does a pretty good job on the hearty stuff, and doesn't destroy the grass. It will turn it brown for a few weeks though depending on how heavy you apply and time of year.

I will definitely check this out. I figured this would kill grass but I've never read the label. Thanks for the tip.

I had these two strays show up and for a couple years they took up residence in the old log cabin, but i have no fences and eventually they found a predator, or some greener pastures somewhere else and left. I only get up there 3-5 times a year, so I wouldn't feel right leaving animals up there to fend for themselves.
View attachment 377287
i gotta say that cabin looks like it is in great shape

X2 on the crossbow. I used it in Louisiana to keep the wysteria at bay after I cleaned up a large area of the yard along the fence line to the neighboring property that had been overran.

I want to get some grass out where we're building our house to help keep the dirt in place. Pokeweed and other native stuff has come in thick and is doing the job in front of the house, but the bank in the back yard has nothing. When/what should I put down to have a decent chance of getting some grass to grow?

Back