Let’s talk Gladiator

obullfish

Carolina Trail Blazers
Trying to figure out how to have a trail rig and pull a sub 5k lbs camper. First started looking for something that my TJ Rubicon could pull and found nothing worth having under 2k lbs. Then thought about a RV to tow my TJ but just can’t talk myself into that expense. A JKUR and JLUR only can handle 3500 lbs of towing so that’s not going to cover what the wife prefers. So that’s where the JTR comes into play. Can tow 7k lbs so that covers the camper idea. Thinking hard about a 2021 V6 8 speed auto Rubicon Hard Rock edition to start with. Then add a 2.5” suspension lift, new wheels and 37’s, 5.13 gears and retain the factory lockers, skid plates, winch.

Talk me into or out of a JTR please.

Why not just buy a tow rig and trailer the TJ?

Wonder what the towing is on the V8 JL that is hitting the market?

Tow rating of the jlu is reduced to 3500 in the US for a reason I don’t know while the tow rating in Europe for the nearly exact same vehicle is over 5,000 lbs.

Damnit Troy your reading comprehension is as bad as mine. Ain’t buying a RV since I can’t justify the expense.
Eh, used vs the investment and upfitting marginally different. The peace of mind knowing my junk would get me home and I had a bed should the trip be extended.....priceless.
Even if I had a drivable trail rig, after having towed to the trail I would never do other wise. Just so much less stress knowing if the slightest break occurred I would make it in a reasonable timeframe to a warm bed. Having the warm bed back at the parking area or camp.....that much more enjoyable. "We broke late and got her on the trailer." My next hardest choice would be sleep it off where I was or drive home. Not "how the crap is my camper getting home, or who am I gonna ask a favor?"

Trying to figure out how to have a trail rig and pull a sub 5k lbs camper. First started looking for something that my TJ Rubicon could pull and found nothing worth having under 2k lbs. Then thought about a RV to tow my TJ but just can’t talk myself into that expense. A JKUR and JLUR only can handle 3500 lbs of towing so that’s not going to cover what the wife prefers. So that’s where the JTR comes into play. Can tow 7k lbs so that covers the camper idea. Thinking hard about a 2021 V6 8 speed auto Rubicon Hard Rock edition to start with. Then add a 2.5” suspension lift, new wheels and 37’s, 5.13 gears and retain the factory lockers, skid plates, winch.

Talk me into or out of a JTR please.
I was in the same boat. I bought an Ibex 19MBH. Dry weight 4,100lb, dry tongue weight 465lb. I had it in my head down the road I was going to trade my 1/2 ton towards a gladiator.

I towed this trailer 1,200 miles home with my wife's 2005 yukon XL and it was uncomfortable. After towing with my 2015 Sierra I won't have anything less capable as the primary camper tow rig.

I don't know loaded weight, but full 40gal fresh tank in front of axles and empty black and gray behind axles, propane and battery, the tongue weight is over 800lb.

The way I see it is you have a killer, capable, reliable Rubicon now. Ready to tackle the trails from here to California. I would seriously reconsider an RV, as it could tow the Jeep and have many uses even when not doing Jeep related things.
You’re how far from retiring? Doing well with no kids, serious travel could be right around the corner for you.

However that’s just my opinion. If you’d rather tow, I get it. A dually with a 34’ trailer and a 20’ camper on the front would be my answer but I know you won’t consider that lol.

If you’re in the position where you can financially justify buying a new Jeep, go for it.

I rent a lot of cars and trucks to drive for work, a lot
When I had the jt it handled like crap I did not think I could make it back to the airport in a small crosswind. When I got back home and hopped into my 24 yo xj it was far better than the jt. The top also leaked when it rained at the front curve of the door. I will never consider one as a rental again.

Well I guess I’m back to the drawing board. Wife really wanted me to go the JT route but probably not the best route.

I love my JT. And would not hesitate to tow 5000lb camper. My jt drives and rides great, even on 40” tires and Dana 60s. It turned 43k miles yesterday. I like it so much that I’ve ordered a 2021 diesel version. Aside from a lot of road miles, I’ve wheeled it in Moab, Colorado, and NC. People always mention the overhangs, but in my wheeling experience, I have never had an approach issue, even with flat tow brackets hanging below bumper. I did drag the trailer hitch several times in Moab.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back