Let the Red Neck jokes begin...

FYI - your friend hit www.importatlanta.com forums this afternoon.
http://forums.importatlanta.com/showthread.php?t=8977

Thread title: "Redneck engineering at its finest - bwa hahaahha I promise this wasnt my engineering firms design!"

just thought it was funny, you guys try to keep right side up, happy motoring.
burnout.gif

as you can see i'm new this is my first post, i like the idea and all and think you did a good job, but do you plan to off road with this truck? what happens when the box and cab twist? is this braced or is there any kind of buffer space for when that happens?

Buffer space on the bed side. And yea it'll get off roaded as soon as I get a trans that has first gear. (And a new clutch since 2nd is killer on hill starts).

And welcome to the board!

rattlecan....any update on this?

any problems with vibrations killing it? or with the amp draw killing the battery? or with the bed/cab flexing?

Greg

I remember reading it was starting to kill his alt., he said something about replacing it anyway. :confused:

Oh man, It's back!

It's still doing good, Doesn't cool as well as everyone thought it would on the really hot days, but today I had to turn it off cause I was getting cold. I've been kinda wondering about vibrations since the truck rides like a tank, but no problems with that yet. It has a scroll compressor in it which is a lot tougher than a regular piston type. It squeaks like hell over big bumps, but on the road you can't hear it over the wind/road/other noises the truck makes.

Not sure if it really is killing the alternator, There for a while I thought it was only charging at 12-13 volts, but today and yesterday it was back up to 14.5 or so. (The power inverter has a battery gauge on it and a low voltage cut off). I am still planning on getting a bigger alternator (100 amp at least) as soon as funds allow and I figure out where to get one and what all I need to do to mount it. (See thread in newbie tech). It still beats riding without any A/C at all. Came up with a good idea for a label for it. I'll take a pic when I get it done. :D

even as far away as Perth Western Australia, nicely done mate that thing is goin to kick ass in summer

www.perth4x4.net

06-02-2005, 11:35 PM #20
Wolfpack OffRoad
It is summer.
Not in Perth, it's not. ;)

rattlecanpaint said:
Oh man, It's back!

yeah...I had somebody over on JeepForum ask if it was possible to add a window unit to a TJ, and I remembered this thread...I told them I'd post up to see if there was an update...

thanks for the info...

Greg

Air conditioner has a remote. Just point it over my shoulder and go. (How lazy are we getting to need a remote for our air conditioner?) But it works good for me.

Still going! haven't replaced the alternator yet, but it's still working. I'm working to kill some of the heat that comes through the floor right in front of the unit. Got some carpet and pad. Maybe I'll go do that today... Used it today a fair bit and it sat there idling for like 5 min without cutting off on low voltage. But it did cut off a couple of times while driving in traffic. I try to keep the R's up a bit while at the lights to charge as much as possible, but it doesn't always last.

Update, This thread popped up on google when I searched NC4x4. I've recently replaced the battery with a yellowtop Optima and the A/C runns much longer now before cutting off on low power. Still need to upgrade the alternator, but right now I'm just fixing stuff as it breaks. And the stupid alternator won't break! Anyone have any idea how much it will cost to rebuild/increase the capacity of the current one?

haha, i love this thread

Anyone have any idea how much it will cost to rebuild/increase the capacity of the current one?

Call Lonnie at Alternators and Starters.. He can build ya whatever you need

919-787-3157

he is on westgate rd in Raleigh

Make a bracket for that Bosch alternator I've got, and your charging problems will be over.

Re-winding a small alternator to put out big power = short life, high heat.

Just like willness33, this is the first thread I ever saw on Nc4x4 and it's felt like home ever since!

Glad it's been a hit for you guys! Rich, how much do you want for your Bosch unit?

I am asking 50...

Back