Lil' Smoke kid mini buggy rock crawler

The motor has 2 outputs on it. The transfer case is mounted backwards and due to rotation of the motor versus rear engine and axles, we had to flip the rear 3rd to make it all work out

Awesome build! I want one but in a single seat version for me. Let the kids defend for themselves lol jk

The motor has 2 outputs on it. The transfer case is mounted backwards and due to rotation of the motor versus rear engine and axles, we had to flip the rear 3rd to make it all work out

Im not following here. I figured the case was backwards, and hence the flipped rear housing. are you driving 1 axle off the atv trans and the other off the case? If both are off the case, then you should need to flip both 3rds, unless the engine is rev rotation. Probably just something I am missing.

Im not following here. I figured the case was backwards, and hence the flipped rear housing. are you driving 1 axle off the atv trans and the other off the case? If both are off the case, then you should need to flip both 3rds, unless the engine is rev rotation. Probably just something I am missing.
One of the motor outputs is not used, only the rear motor output is.

The transfer case is the only thing driven off of the motor.

The case is mounted backwards and the engine is pushed off to the right. But... The rear axle is flipped to have the diff closer to the driver side to align with the transfer case output and allow the diff to clear the engine. Then, we flipped the 3rd to get the rotation back to normal.

In the pic you can see the diff off to the driver side instead of more to the passenger like a stock samurai

image.jpg

The transfer case is the only thing driven off of the motor.

The case is mounted backwards and the engine is pushed off to the right. But... The rear axle is flipped to have the diff closer to the driver side to align with the transfer case output and allow the diff to clear the engine. Then, we flipped the 3rd to get the rotation back to normal.

In the pic you can see the diff off to the driver side instead of more to the passenger like a stock samurai

View attachment 210803

Ok, this is what I originally assumed. Trying to make sure I wasn't missing something revolutionary if it wasn't.

Did you consider moving the engine to the left and flipping the tcase vs the diff?

Awesome build! I want one but in a single seat version for me. Let the kids defend for themselves lol jk

Ive had this same idea... but be able to swap in a kids bench, so I could "justify" the extra build.

Ok, this is what I originally assumed. Trying to make sure I wasn't missing something revolutionary if it wasn't.

Did you consider moving the engine to the left and flipping the tcase vs the diff?

We did until we found that the shifter for the TCase can't be sealed up and all the oil would pour out in the ground.

Shifting it would have been a real pain the ass too. I think the only way we could seal the shifter was to put it in either hi or Lo and pull the shifter and seal up the housing. Then, if we ever needed to shift the case we were SOL. So, we avoided that plan.

We even considered just making a chain driven reduction box that wasn't shiftable or anything but kept it simple and just flipped the axle and the 3rd.

The hardest part of this setup will be to cut off the diff cover and fab a new one. ;)

Also, with a small storage area and other items in the left beside the engine and the off chance there is only one person in the buggy, an engine offset to the right would help to keep the weight distribution more even

It will make for interesting conversation when someone knowing samurais will see the rear diff on the driver side. :D

Ive had this same idea... but be able to swap in a kids bench, so I could "justify" the extra build.

I think these seats should last until the kids are nearly grown so long as they aren't bugger than a size 4 or so. If they are anything like their mother, they should stay a size 0 or 2 until they have kids.

But in the off chance we need bigger seating, a 36" wide suspension bench seat should fit in there.

11" of seat adjustment should allow for them to grow about 2' taller (about 5.5') and still be comfortable. After that, they may be a little cramped

I think these seats should last until the kids are nearly grown so long as they aren't bugger than a size 4 or so. If they are anything like their mother, they should stay a size 0 or 2 until they have kids.

But in the off chance we need bigger seating, a 36" wide suspension bench seat should fit in there.

11" of seat adjustment should allow for them to grow about 2' taller (about 5.5') and still be comfortable. After that, they may be a little cramped

What if they end up a sturdy size 16, like their dad? ;)

We did until we found that the shifter for the TCase can't be sealed up and all the oil would pour out in the ground.

Shifting it would have been a real pain the ass too. I think the only way we could seal the shifter was to put it in either hi or Lo and pull the shifter and seal up the housing. Then, if we ever needed to shift the case we were SOL. So, we avoided that plan.

I have looked at my tcase 100 times, and while everyone says it will leak out the shifter, I don't believe it. I'm likely going to have to run cable shifters on mine. Don't think it'll be too bad.

I have looked at my tcase 100 times, and while everyone says it will leak out the shifter, I don't believe it. I'm likely going to have to run cable shifters on mine. Don't think it'll be too bad.

There is no seal, why would it not leak?

I searched and searched and searched for someone that had flipped a samurai T case and while I found a few threads discussing it, the general consensus was that it would leak out because there was no seal for the shifter. I was t ready to challenge it as it wasn't really necessary.

There is no seal, why would it not leak?

I searched and searched and searched for someone that had flipped a samurai T case and while I found a few threads discussing it, the general consensus was that it would leak out because there was no seal for the shifter. I was t ready to challenge it as it wasn't really necessary.
The shifters come out of the bottom on the stock case. By flipping it to drivers drop you would have the opening upside down, but the rails/housing would be higher on the case. If oil can't get past the rails and push out the cup now, I can't set how it would then.

Maybe I'm just crazy. One day I might have something to test it out on.

Here's a pic of one just for reference:
aimg15.hostingpics.net_pics_3440936.jpg

If one was good enough on a mill, they could make a new housing with the shifter flipped too.

Im guessing the oil slingers would sling it up around the rails and it would run right out the shifter.

I'm sure it could be done, I just didn't need to pay Chris to spend 10 hours to figure it out when we had a better option. So, we just made some slight adjustments everywhere else and I think it turned out better.

I had considered flipping the case and just running it dry with some heavily packed bearings. The low amount of use and load the case would see would likely not even affect it one bit.

With a design like this, what do you think would be the biggest cc engine that could fit? Without making extreme mods or redesigning the whole thing?

Also the more I think about it, it wood look cool with a long arm ifs/irs.

It still awesome! Can't wait to see it completed

Back