Looking for some advice for "Lease On" Power only Hotshot

I have full confidence in being able to put that many miles + on pulling with my setup given the extensive work I've done to it without being stranded. But I digress. If no one signs me with an 03' trailer or not I'm not in a position to dive into my own authority. Moving on.

Does anyone have any experience in the dump trailer business?
I think the point that you are severely missing is NOT your trucks capability as much as the fact that with that truck, you would get looked over for so many loads due to the age of your equipment. They don’t care what’s done to it, they’re not gonna know, they’re not gonna ask, and you won’t be able to tell them.

Again why not just get a CDL and get on with someone else and drive THEIR truck, make more, learn the ropes and go from there?

I think the point that you are severely missing is NOT your trucks capability as much as the fact that with that truck, you would get looked over for so many loads due to the age of your equipment. They don’t care what’s done to it, they’re not gonna know, they’re not gonna ask, and you won’t be able to tell them.
I understood the point

It comes down to maintenance and I understand that most companies want the assurance of reliability without having to look that deep into vehicle history which more often than not translates into something new unless its a Power stroke and sometimes a Duramax.

I'll keep that in mind going forward.

I'll have to read into the current state of CDL company truck driving, it was really out of my purview in my research in light duty transport.

Does no one have anything to say about intrastate hauling opportunities with a light duty?

For the record, you're going to need a cdl for hotshot driving anyway unless you can get away with exclusively towing RVs

This. Its not hard to get over that 26k limit. My personal truck and trailer are rated at 32k and I don't for a living.
You'll still need credentials, insurance and possibly DOT HOS to do so.
As soon as you become a fore hire/for profit carrier, it changes everything.

X100. I kept looking at my truck that wouldn't move for a month or more and thought I needed to use it more. Looked into hotshoting cars part time from atlanta to the charlotte/winston/statesville aera. By the time you got all set up, it just wasn't worth all the effort. That was me already owing the truck and a 3 car trailer outright.

By the time you got all set up, it just wasn't worth all the effort. That was me already owing the truck and a 3 car trailer outright.
My buddy Kevin has a 2012 Duramax and 3 car. Ran hot shot for a couple of years. Last year he sold out and bought a clapped out sleeper with single axle and now ALL he does is move single wide and double wide trailers.

This. Its not hard to get over that 26k limit. My personal truck and trailer are rated at 32k and I don't for a living.
Since we are in a public forum and all...the weight kinda doesnt matter.
Once you move freight for a profit you need a Commercial Driver's License....

Since we are in a public forum and all...the weight kinda doesnt matter.
Once you move freight for a profit you need a Commercial Driver's License....
or cross state lines... we have had tool guys cross state lines and get popped even thought they are "not for hire" but still have to have dot ### and cdls even under the 26k rating, My tool truck is derated to 25,999ls so no cdl needed as long as I do not cross state lines. (I really confused the lady at the DMV when I asked for an airbrake indorsement on my non cdl license!)

I would sell your truck right now during these crazy times and get top $$,$$$. Buy a cheap 1/2 ton truck as a DD, get your CDL, and get a job driving for a company if you want to haul freight.

I would sell your truck right now
You're funny. "I know what I got and so do you"

I'm getting mixed information on weather I need a CDL class A for a dump trailer. I don't think I'll need one if I don't exceed 26k + 1lb. According to NCDOT If I put a skid steer in the back of it I'll need a class A. There is a local dump trailer company "Junk Dogs" that run 2500s I'll give them a call tomorrow and pic their brains on the specifics.

On DOT numbers I don't have to have one according to this FMCSA guide.

On MC numbers I don't have to have one according to this FMCSA guide.

I have to follow up on insurance and tax code after I make some calls and ask some questions. That could change number requirements potentially.

As far as the option of starting a dump trailer company, it would be Intrastate only.

You're funny. "I know what I got and so do you"
I was being serious. I keep reading about how absolutely crazy the used truck market is right now. It sounds like you have a very nice truck. You might be able to get a REALLY high price for it, plus it sounds like it has already been determined that it doesn't qualify (too old) and isn't ideal (not DRW) for hotshotting.

I was being serious. I keep reading about how absolutely crazy the used truck market is right now.
I made BANK on buttercup

Had no intention on selling her...but shit...now was the time

I made BANK on buttercup

Had no intention on selling her...but shit...now was the time
Dang. When did you sell it? I'm a fan of that generation of Fords

I was being serious. I keep reading about how absolutely crazy the used truck market is right now. It sounds like you have a very nice truck. You might be able to get a REALLY high price for it, plus it sounds like it has already been determined that it doesn't qualify (too old) and isn't ideal (not DRW) for hotshotting.
Not selling.

I said its just as capable.
It doesn't even have an exhaust brake.

What I'm getting from this thread is that you've never driven a newer truck. If you had, you'd know this argument that the 03 is "just as good" is nonsense.

What I'm getting from this thread is that you've never driven a newer truck. If you had, you'd know this argument that the 03 is "just as good" is nonsense.
Have you ever driven an 03 Cummings?!?!?

His truck is old, but its not a rusty POS pissing oil as fast as it drinks it. Outside of moving a load reliably does he have to have an off season SEMA show truck? Since when were newer post emission equipped trucks more reliable? (Anyone know a person whos dealt with a CP4?) There seems like a disconnect between the back slapping talk of "That's when knew how to build trucks to last, no BS all torque" and when someone wants to start working with an late 90s or early 00's truck.

To him a deleted lower mileage 6.7 is more questionable in terms of reliability than a quarter million mile 5.9 with a fresh drive train and air/fuel overhaul ready for the next quarter to half a million.

There are plenty of class 8s decades old still on the road pulling just as much as they did off the assembly line. It comes down to maintenance and he understands that most companies want the assurance of reliability without having to look that deep into vehicle history which more often than not translates into something new unless its a Power stroke and sometimes a Duramax. (Because Cummins? :confused: )

I don't know what they ever did without a factory exhaust brake in 03. Parachutes?, Large kites?, rear facing jet engines?, anchors?

What I'm getting from this thread is that maybe some of you are to old to drive an 03. Heated seats, lane assist, back up cameras, and nail clipping pedals have gotten the better of you. ;)

Somewhere along the way I got interested in hot shots or CDL class type freight moving. Mostly because of my lumber brokering business and the need to move smaller loads at times (like 8-15k lbs or so). I have been looking at trucks and have started studying for my CDL just to have it. I would recommend checking out a few YouTube channels for some good info like you were originally looking at. Couple to look up are "Humble Hotshot", "CP Steve Miller", "Banks Shipping", "Tow Piglet" "South Georgia Hotshot" and I am sure there are others. The fella from Banks Shipping started out very similarly to what you are thinking of doing. Mostly with local type hauls, etc. Steve Miller has about the same year Dodge IIRC... Lot of good info in there.
As these guys have said, finding someone to bring you on with an older truck is doable it seems, but not super easy to find...
I am sure the local dump trailer business can be solid as well, I am not sure of what that business model looks like overall though.

Steve Miller has about the same year Dodge IIRC...
He has an 04.5 2500 with a 12v and dually swap. He broke rings on his CR and his extensive idle time overnight wasn't helping it as he neared 400K on that engine. 04.5+ trucks have a different bowl and injector nozzle tip design that often break rings in normal operating stock conditions anywhere from 150K and up typically. He's still lease on with RV Mafia I believe.

I've seen a few of them but I take a lot of things with a grain of salt.

I don't know what they ever did without a factory exhaust brake in 03. Parachutes?, Large kites?, rear facing jet engines?, anchors?
Nah, you just get used to changing the rear pads.

Having just upgraded my favorite truck, a moderately built 06 6spd 2500 it too should have put down 500 and 1100. Towed great on like a plus 75 or 100 tune. It was a blast to drive around town and i towed 6 to 12k pounds weekly. Having said that, would it take that truck across across the country yes... would i have drove that truck across the country every week... NO. Also 6 spd doesn't do shit slowing down a load without an exhaust brake.

96 F350 hand shaker with a 460 would rule the hot shot industry.
You need any lumber hauled and would you hire a fat feller?

I’ll put can marker lights and chrome curb feelers on her and you can call me supa trucka

Back