Lots of interesting news today

Its in the original source - the paper - which they linked.
Here's a fulltext version
Phys. Rev. Fluids 4, 064802 (2019) - Pancake making and surface coating: Optimal control of a gravity-driven liquid film

BLUF: rolling the pan around is the trick, and getting it just right is in the technique for pan rolling.
I'm glad you condensed the contents of the article, it's unavailable to us common folk.
Screenshot_20191007-022433.png

I'll remember you got access to those sites if I ever need a physics article to finish my neutrectronical particlate accelsmasheratorizer.

I'm glad you condensed the contents of the article, it's unavailable to us common folk.
View attachment 304079
I'll remember you got access to those sites if I ever need a physics article to finish my neutrectronical particlate accelsmasheratorizer.
Not necessary. Here it is, freely available on ARXIV.
Pancake making and surface coating: optimal control of a...

Pro tip - in physics and several other fields, its common for authors to post a preprint in ARXIV prior to peer review submission to ensure an immediate timestamp of their name on the work AND free access.
Its then updated later after acceptance.

Have a wreck like that and come back the next day and win. I wonder how much those leathers cost

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For him, nothing lol.

His air vest is about 1200
Suit retail is around 2500 (plus whatever they would charge to custom fit it, probably a few hundred bucks for that, plus money to do custom colors and sponsor patches)

For him, nothing lol.

His air vest is about 1200
Suit retail is around 2500 (plus whatever they would charge to custom fit it, probably a few hundred bucks for that, plus money to do custom colors and sponsor patches)

Honestly I figured they would be more expensive

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I wonder if it’s the pattern or the paint itself. The ones completely covered had the best results but that doesn’t really say which helped.
If you read the actual research article, it's pretty clear. They had two control cows - one that was left alone, and another painted all one color (black) using the same paint as the stripes. There was no difference between black paint and no paint, only striped paint.

It's a visual problem. Flies can't resolved the striped area as a solid surface, and so do not try to land on it, they either avoid it, or crash w/o biting. They mention several other studies on this phenomenon, like that a rotating drum of striped colors attracts fewer flies than a solid one.

If you read the actual research article, it's pretty clear. They had two control cows - one that was left alone, and another painted all one color (black) using the same paint as the stripes. There was no difference between black paint and no paint, only striped paint.

It's a visual problem. Flies can't resolved the striped area as a solid surface, and so do not try to land on it, they either avoid it, or crash w/o biting. They mention several other studies on this phenomenon, like that a rotating drum of striped colors attracts fewer flies than a solid one.

I read it differently. It said there were the black and white (fully painted), black stripes only (so not fully painted) and not painted at all. I like the visual theory though.

And so, the researchers painted six Japanese Black cows with black-and-white stripes, which took just five minutes per cow. They then observed the cows for three days, taking high-resolution images of them at regular intervals to count the insects on the animals and also recording any fly-repelling behaviors like leg stamping, tail flicking, and skin twitching. The same cows were also observed for three days with painted-on black stripes (to see if it was the paint chemicals, not the coloring, that repelled flies) and and with no stripes at all.

Last edited:
so is that why barber shop lights have the rotating center?? To keep flies away?
No, that is a carry over as a symbol from when they used to do bloodletting on the side...

Back