Lots of interesting news today

I guess they could try some Lottery tickets!
GM Cruise Lost $500 Million In Second Quarter Of 2022
GM-Cruise-Origin-Prototype-Spy-Shots-Human-Driven-July-2022-Exterior-001-297x140.jpg

Plane coming into RDU with landing gear issues and somehow lost a passenger. I've seen a few posts on FB that it was the co pilot who was trying to free the landing gear and fell.

Duane

Plane coming into RDU with landing gear issues and somehow lost a passenger. I've seen a few posts on FB that it was the co pilot who was trying to free the landing gear and fell.

Duane
I would think if he had to open a door and exit the plane to fix the gear he would be in a harness and strapped to the plane so he could get back in. It's sad because the plane landed kinda softly and he didn't need to die.

Last edited:
I would think if had to open a door and exit the plane to fix the gear he would be in a harness and strapped to the plane so he could get back in. It's sad because the plane landed kinda softly and he didn't need to die.
Agreed.
Although... It's a pretty good cover for the pilot disposing of a "friend" mafia style

I would think if had to open a door and exit the plane to fix the gear he would be in a harness and strapped to the plane so he could get back in. It's sad because the plane landed kinda softly and he didn't need to die.

I mean *I* would think that too, but I'm just a dumbass firefighter, not a pilot. or co pilot, or whatever he was lol.

Duane

nice to see this at home, but I always wonder what happens when the support runs out... and where does it come from in the first place

nice to see this at home, but I always wonder what happens when the support runs out... and where does it come from in the first place
I see they rejected my name for the bill.. It should have been the Chips and Development of Industrial Potential Act. The Chips and DIP act would have had far more support.

As for where the money is coming from, didn't they mainly identify unspent COVID funds? It's still funny money that we are just pulling out of thin air. But I think this is something worth investing in.

You are spot on about the sustainment question though. It doesn't do any good if companies take the money only to divest five years later when the government tit goes dry.

"China had lobbied against the semiconductor bill."
FTMF
How is this even possible?
It's like a Ford press release saying "GM lobbied against the 7.3 gasser." Who even allowed them a seat near the table?

I see they rejected my name for the bill.. It should have been the Chips and Development of Industrial Potential Act. The Chips and DIP act would have had far more support.

As for where the money is coming from, didn't they mainly identify unspent COVID funds? It's still funny money that we are just pulling out of thin air. But I think this is something worth investing in.

You are spot on about the sustainment question though. It doesn't do any good if companies take the money only to divest five years later when the government tit goes dry.
There's no question, every person I know in the tech hardware, including chip design & fab industry, wants this to be in the US. Including the MFRs. The stakes of having them in China is much bigger than just control and competition, its a serious ecurity problem, both for DoD and just normal private business.

There's no question, every person I know in the tech hardware, including chip design & fab industry, wants this to be in the US. Including the MFRs. The stakes of having them in China is much bigger than just control and competition, its a serious security problem, both for DoD and just normal private business.
Look no further than the "high-tech" UAVs of the Russians and the issues they have producing anything without international components. If China produces ANY item we need for guidance systems, logic processing, etc for military or critical hardware, we are screwed if they "sanction" us like what we did to Russia.

There's no question, every person I know in the tech hardware, including chip design & fab industry, wants this to be in the US. Including the MFRs. The stakes of having them in China is much bigger than just control and competition, its a serious ecurity problem, both for DoD and just normal private business.
Then why aren't they? I'm not normally of this position, but it seems like .gov should have just told mfgs to produce X% of chips on US soil or be prepared to pay XX% tax on total revenue.

Then why aren't they? I'm not normally of this position, but it seems like .gov should have just told mfgs to produce X% of chips on US soil or be prepared to pay XX% tax on total revenue.
I can't even begin to talk intelligently about global economy and multinational corporations. But I would see a flat ultimatum like that crushing any international business. Market leaders like Intel, Qualcomm, and many others would have been killed in the international market place if we had hit them with a stick vs. offering a carrot. The reality is that Germany, Japan, China, and many other nations offer incentives to cultivate domestic production. Heck, look at how much we subsidize agriculture to keep domestic food production.

Back