Lots of interesting news today

Haha, our tower speakers are only on if we are riding, and I would probably have the boat louder if the family didn't tell me to turn it down.
I now consider you an asshole.
haha

Last edited:
Your boat owning friends have more money than mine. My broke ass buddies cut the motor every second they're not moving.
I don't know many people with boats, but yes, they all enjoy throwing money in the hole in the water.

I would just stick a 12v deep cycle in there to run the stereo on, if it was an issue. You could run it a long time before needing to charge it back up at home.

Yep, thats basically our setup, 2 12v deep cycles on a perco switch. If it was to die, switch to the other one, but has never happened (knock on wood)

Battery powered boats have a long way to go. Moving a boat through the water at planing speed requires a significant amount of energy. It would be comparable to towing up hill with your electric truck at near max tow capacity. That's why most boats only get 1.5-2 mpg at their most efficient cruise - it just takes that many BTUs to make it happen. So for those in the battery powered boat segment it's my opinion this is a hopeless endeavor. Not that a more efficient boat propulsion system isn't on the horizon, but by the time battery technology and power to weight density levels become reasonable for boating there will likely be a much more suitable "fuel cell" for the marine environment.

And for all those that just want to doink around at 7 knots and save the whales - buy a sailboat...

As for me, I'm happily burning dinosaurs all the way out to the Gulfstream and back to kill fish for fun and food of course. If the weather turns I can outrun it and still not run out of fuel. Being 35 miles from land in the open ocean on a vessel with the limitations of a battery powered boat doesn't sound like fun to me.

Hopefully everyone else buys all this electric frufru stuff so I can have all their fuel...

2movh5.gif

Duane

Battery powered boats have a long way to go. Moving a boat through the water at planing speed requires a significant amount of energy. It would be comparable to towing up hill with your electric truck at near max tow capacity. That's why most boats only get 1.5-2 mpg at their most efficient cruise - it just takes that many BTUs to make it happen. So for those in the battery powered boat segment it's my opinion this is a hopeless endeavor. Not that a more efficient boat propulsion system isn't on the horizon, but by the time battery technology and power to weight density levels become reasonable for boating there will likely be a much more suitable "fuel cell" for the marine environment.

And for all those that just want to doink around at 7 knots and save the whales - buy a sailboat...

As for me, I'm happily burning dinosaurs all the way out to the Gulfstream and back to kill fish for fun and food of course. If the weather turns I can outrun it and still not run out of fuel. Being 35 miles from land in the open ocean on a vessel with the limitations of a battery powered boat doesn't sound like fun to me.

Hopefully everyone else buys all this electric frufru stuff so I can have all their fuel...

I am a bit curious for some of the bigger surfing boats if electric might make sense (or maybe even a hybrid?). These boats often get filled with 3000+ lbs of ballast to get the waves the way you want them. Exchange that out for batteries, maybe you have enough battery to go for a while? The problem though is you can't ever drop that weight which you normally do when you are done for the day.

Offshore boats though, hell no!

It looks like Nautique stopped making them though, it was ungodly expensive at about 300k though, and the tech overall still has a ways to come I think.

the only way i would think an electric boat would be decent is if you could reduce the friction the boat has to fight. if you could design a boat to be electric and use a hydrofoil its efficiency would go way up. then again it would only be efficient at cruising speed.

I am a bit curious for some of the bigger surfing boats if electric might make sense (or maybe even a hybrid?). These boats often get filled with 3000+ lbs of ballast to get the waves the way you want them. Exchange that out for batteries, maybe you have enough battery to go for a while? The problem though is you can't ever drop that weight which you normally do when you are done for the day.

Offshore boats though, hell no!

It looks like Nautique stopped making them though, it was ungodly expensive at about 300k though, and the tech overall still has a ways to come I think.

I just wish they'd sink every wave boat to the bottom of the ocean. (dont want them cluttering up the lakes)

Horrible junk that destroys the environment and the fun of every other lake user.

Its the ultimate 'look at me no one in the world but me matters'

No regen through braking, but maybe you could regen through the prop while you're anchored out?
Just drag a turbine blade behind the boat, use that to regen the battery while to go.

You could go indefinitely like that right?

I just wish they'd sink every wave boat to the bottom of the ocean. (dont want them cluttering up the lakes)

Horrible junk that destroys the environment and the fun of every other lake user.

But what do you really think?

Just drag a turbine blade behind the boat, use that to regen the battery while to go.

You could go indefinitely like that right?
Or pump water out of the lake and let it fall across a waterwheel, and use that to power the pump. You could even make the waterwheel out of solar panels for extra green points.

I know that the tech isn't there but I do think hydrogen powered boat using filtered water is the future.
Thats a great theory... until you've used up all the lake water for your boats. Hahaha

Asshole owners of every kind.

I have seen plenty of people on all kinds of boats on the lake ruin the fun of others.

We wake/surf/tube and we try to stay away from other boats, stay in the middle so we aren't messing up shores, etc.

Plenty of people fishing leave fishing line, hooks, etc on shorelines, docks, etc also.

Same could really be said for people offroading, they destroy hills, and the environment also.

Basically there are ways to be an asshole in everything in life, not all people that participate fit into the asshole mold, but the assholes always stick out more.

At least the term "motorboat" will be accurate now. Wonder why we don't currently call them "engineboats"
Because "You engineboating son of a..." sounds racist?

Or pump water out of the lake and let it fall across a waterwheel, and use that to power the pump. You could even make the waterwheel out of solar panels for extra green points.
This is starting to sound like some people I work with!

Just like with everything else ..the first battery powered boats won't be a fit for everyone. The tech will evolve, more people will be exposed to it, and it may be come mainstream.

Battery powered pontoons would be fine for the retired lake couple that has a 30hp on the back of their pontoon for afternoon cruising a few hours a week. Add and delete battery/power units if you need want to go faster/slower.

Just like with everything else ..the first battery powered boats won't be a fit for everyone. The tech will evolve, more people will be exposed to it, and it may be come mainstream.

Battery powered pontoons would be fine for the retired lake couple that has a 30hp on the back of their pontoon for afternoon cruising a few hours a week. Add and delete battery/power units if you need want to go faster/slower.
plenty of lakes that have engine size restrictions as well.

I can absolutely see this in our future. My parents live on Lake Gaston. They maybe take the pontoon boat out once a month, a little more in summer, but not much this year bc of Mom's PPPD (not a good thing for being on a boat lol).
A usual trek around the lake is maybe an hour. Even when we're all out on it & pulling the tube, its two? 3 at most? Electric makes tons of sense.
It's good exercise for Dad to schlep gas cans down to the dock, but the day will come when thats not easy for him anymore.

My wife's family has a lake house, lake house has a boat, boat get's used a half dozen times a year for 1-2hrs each time. They pay a gazillion dollars a year to winterize and maintain it, and its always low on gas from the last guy. Last year the engine had an oil leak. Also, it never idles well, and they don't like going fast when i drive because its "too loud". Electric would solve basically 100% of the problems for this use case.

My wife's family has a lake house, lake house has a boat, boat get's used a half dozen times a year for 1-2hrs each time. They pay a gazillion dollars a year to winterize and maintain it, and its always low on gas from the last guy. Last year the engine had an oil leak. Also, it never idles well, and they don't like going fast when i drive because its "too loud". Electric would solve basically 100% of the problems for this use case.
See also: me and weed whacker, hedge trimmer, chain saw. Hell I'd buy an electric snowblower if I didn't have a sandwich-powered teenager.

Back