Lots of interesting news today

well obviously you're not at peak heart rate and utilizing every single second for 5 hours and we are not demanding 100% focused attention for 5 hours. No doubt that is unreasonable.

and obviously you're tailoring kindergarten a bit different than 10th grade.

they have work time, reading time, one on one time, time to pass out papers, take up papers, go over computer lessons, snack time, some activities you're sitting, some you're standing, sip drinks, watch a 15 min instructional vid, open discussion time, rotate teachers for art and music and whatever, on and on.

Oh, and the teachers get to go home earlier to make up for that slightly elevated work pace.

its not hell on earth....but we sure are trying to make it that way.
Seriously, have you ever been in a position like that, where you had to be in sole control of a group of kids of this size for that long with no breaks for anybody?
Also, if you're not going to switch classes, how TF does 1 teacher know everything, and plan everything?

The solution is simple. Live simple, have a stay at home parent, and homeschool your kids. Any halfway intelligent person can teach any k-12 subject when the have the book in front of them. Yes, having a stay at home parent changes the dynamic and can make the budget tighter, but the benefits of you RAISING your kids instead of a .gov school TRAINING your kids is invaluable in my opinion.

man...i'm just wasting time in a meeting, brainstorming about better use of my tax dollars.

Where in the world did I say no breaks? Bathroom, snacks, the teacher gets a 30 min break when the music teacher comes in, NOT talk about race/gender/sexuality, chill for a sec while the class is reading or working on something, sit and have discussions, etc. Its 5 hours. then you get to go home at 1pm! How lovely! That would make up for some negatives I would think.

I had one teacher for everything K-5? sometimes we were sent to a music class or the spanish teacher rolled her cart it. what has changed?

Of course there would be some tweaks for HS, but lets start somewhere!

The solution is simple. Live simple, have a stay at home parent, and homeschool your kids. Any halfway intelligent person can teach any k-12 subject when the have the book in front of them. Yes, having a stay at home parent changes the dynamic and can make the budget tighter, but the benefits of you RAISING your kids instead of a .gov school TRAINING your kids is invaluable in my opinion.
Tried that. Worst thing we could have done for my autistic oldest son. He is so much better off in public school. There's more to it than just the book material.

It's pretty clear you've never spent 5 hours in a room full of 25 kids with only a 15 minute break.
Oh come on. You sound like my wife (teacher). She bitches and moans about ony getting 20mins for lunch, but always neglects to mention that 1/4 of her day is her "planning period".

I had one teacher for everything K-5? sometimes we were sent to a music class or the spanish teacher rolled her cart it. what has changed?
Decades of research showed that kids learn more when they get to move.

Oh come on. You sound like my wife (teacher). She bitches and moans about ony getting 20mins for lunch, but always neglects to mention that 1/4 of her day is her "planning period".
I'm not talking about the teacher.
I'm talking about what happens to kids when they have to sit and do boring as shit stuff for 5 hours. They become very difficult to teach.

well obviously you're not at peak heart rate and utilizing every single second for 5 hours and we are not demanding 100% focused attention for 5 hours. No doubt that is unreasonable.

and obviously you're tailoring kindergarten a bit different than 10th grade.

they have work time, reading time, one on one time, time to pass out papers, take up papers, go over computer lessons, snack time, some activities you're sitting, some you're standing, sip drinks, watch a 15 min instructional vid, open discussion time, rotate teachers for art and music and whatever, on and on.

Oh, and the teachers get to go home earlier to make up for that slightly elevated work pace.

its not hell on earth....but we sure are trying to make it that way.
The "extracurricular" stuff is to entice engagement. Same reason churches have basketball gyms. Make kids want to come to school.

Tried that. Worst thing we could have done for my autistic oldest son. He is so much better off in public school. There's more to it than just the book material.
this.
Plus how many parents can actually teach trigonometry?
I have a home w/ 2 pretty smart parents, and I am 100% certain homeschooling would be a disaster for us.

Plus I think @JSJJ388 has no concept of what that would do to the economy. And... single parent homes...?

I dont know man.

I had 2 kids.
One I could have taught - in theory though we butted heads and he dint learn from me.

By 10th grade, my daughter had exceeded my knowledge base to educate despite me having a bachelor degree.
I'm a big believer in SAHM - but I dont think its best for the kid for stay at home school. The kid needs a break from Mom as much as mom needs a break from kid. And different vocies and perspectives make better more well rounded humans. Kids need to learn (IMHO) ridicule and failure to develop mental toughness.

It's ok, we can just follow the Britney Griner playbook, when Kyle Busch is locked up, we can trade a dangerous cartel terrorist for him and get him out!

He's not going to jail though because he's "insert reason here"

Duane

But the solution is simple! :D
So, being an early adopter/test case for modern homeschooling methods in the '80s, I can say not everyone is cut out to homeschool. But you don't need to teach your kid trigonometry or calculus. There are curriculum courses from some very prestigious schools that even offered telephonic sessions with a teacher long before the interwebs. Now, I'd assume curriculum courses through Seton Hall or others would offer all the assistance needed.

One fallacy of homeschooling is that it is always done at home in isolation. Most of the successful homeschool families I know are constantly on the go. They replace the extracurricular events offered by the school with other events.

As far as the married/single wage earning family, it is needed to homeschool in most cases and it's sad that our economy has come to a point where it is seen as a burden. But that is reality. That reality would also throw a big monkey wrench in @benXJ 's idea of school getting out at 1pm. That would leave four hours of time where most families have to keep the kids supervised and engaged. Once again, it's sad, but that is the world we live in.

That would leave four hours of time where most families have to keep the kids supervised and engaged. Once again, it's sad, but that is the world we live in.
They can get jobs. Duh.

There are YT channels teaching everything from piano to watercolors to Spanish and there are people selling curriculum and instruction specifically for homeschoolers in music, art, writing, economics, and college prep science. Secular or Biblical worldview?, take your pick. There are more extracurricular options than there are hours available and there's this other thing called rec league sports that even kids who go to public school have available...

So, being an early adopter/test case for modern homeschooling methods in the '80s, I can say not everyone is cut out to homeschool. But you don't need to teach your kid trigonometry or calculus. There are curriculum courses from some very prestigious schools that even offered telephonic sessions with a teacher long before the interwebs. Now, I'd assume curriculum courses through Seton Hall or others would offer all the assistance needed.

One fallacy of homeschooling is that it is always done at home in isolation. Most of the successful homeschool families I know are constantly on the go. They replace the extracurricular events offered by the school with other events.

As far as the married/single wage earning family, it is needed to homeschool in most cases and it's sad that our economy has come to a point where it is seen as a burden. But that is reality. That reality would also throw a big monkey wrench in @benXJ 's idea of school getting out at 1pm. That would leave four hours of time where most families have to keep the kids supervised and engaged. Once again, it's sad, but that is the world we live in.

home school is not the solution.
the solution is not simple (well it really is, but will take a long time to implement)
quick question, why are my tax dollars going towards other kids child care? why are you ok with that? There are at least 2 hours 'wasted' at public schools every day....Times hundreds of days a year times tens of millions of students. You're telling me there is nothing to cut? We can't start somewhere?

So, get them out at 1pm and let the free market, private sector capatilism figure it out. Yea buddy!

Think of all the new private businesses that will spring up....more classes that are useful and relevant, sports, tutors, daycares, transportation, private food programs, restaurants busier at lunch!

And we all can afford it becuase our property taxes are way down! You choose what you do woth YOUR money! Why have we strayed so far from that simple idea?

Oh, and newsflash....99% of kids aren/t going to wack ass public school cause the art and recess program 'entices' them.

home school is not the solution.
the solution is not simple (well it really is, but will take a long time to implement)
quick question, why are my tax dollars going towards other kids child care? why are you ok with that? There are at least 2 hours 'wasted' at public schools every day....Times hundreds of days a year times tens of millions of students. You're telling me there is nothing to cut? We can't start somewhere?

So, get them out at 1pm and let the free market, private sector capatilism figure it out. Yea buddy!

Think of all the new private businesses that will spring up....more classes that are useful and relevant, sports, tutors, daycares, transportation, private food programs, restaurants busier at lunch!

And we all can afford it becuase our property taxes are way down! You choose what you do woth YOUR money! Why have we strayed so far from that simple idea?

Oh, and newsflash....99% of kids aren/t going to wack ass public school cause the art and recess program 'entices' them.
I'm not sure where you got the impression I was ok with the status quo. But I recognize it will take a lot to fix things and give opportunities to those who are at the bottom third of our society. At least the current system gives kids an imperfect opportunity to advance. Looking at the outline you mentioned above those kids would have zero chance. And without them having minimal education and training, we would lose them in the work force.

Keep in mind, my parents were a single income family with four kids that used private school or homeschooling because the sexual issues and subpar academics in public school in Oregon were already present starting in 1975. So, they contributed my dad's mill wages to property taxes and received very little for it.

My bridge solution would be a voucher system. Yes, this is a wealth redistribution method. But it allows the parents to take those vouchers and use them towards some of the programs you mentioned above. People on limited incomes would finally have a choice on where to send their kids.

The solution is to abolish taxes. Everything else will follow.

Seriously, have you ever been in a position like that, where you had to be in sole control of a group of kids of this size for that long with no breaks for anybody?
Also, if you're not going to switch classes, how TF does 1 teacher know everything, and plan everything?
Elementary school teachers do it.

There's more than one way to skin a cat. One size doesn't fit all, but the .gov indoctrination fits none.

this.
Plus how many parents can actually teach trigonometry?
I have a home w/ 2 pretty smart parents, and I am 100% certain homeschooling would be a disaster for us.

Plus I think @JSJJ388 has no concept of what that would do to the economy. And... single parent homes...?

Literally any parent that is capable of holding a steady job and understands how to use a computer at a basic level.

As far as the economy, it'll do what it'll do. It survived on single income in the past, and family life was a much higher quality.

I dont know man.

I had 2 kids.
One I could have taught - in theory though we butted heads and he dint learn from me.

By 10th grade, my daughter had exceeded my knowledge base to educate despite me having a bachelor degree.
I'm a big believer in SAHM - but I dont think its best for the kid for stay at home school. The kid needs a break from Mom as much as mom needs a break from kid. And different vocies and perspectives make better more well rounded humans. Kids need to learn (IMHO) ridicule and failure to develop mental toughness.

Maybe it wouldn't work for yall. But I truly believe that in most situations homeschool is the better option. The internet knows everything we don't that's needed to teach kids. I do agree that breaks are needed on both sides.

Another important, and great, factor in homeschool is socialization. Around here homeschool groups take at least one trip per month to go do something fun and informative, as well as meeting at a park or the community building often to keep kids interacting with others.

I should also say, I would be much more supportive of public school if it wasn't purely an indoctrination camp. If schools were run more at the state and local level (like it was in times past) everyone would benefit more.

For all the supporters of YouTube and various programs ….how do those respond when a kid asks a question the teacher doesn’t understand?

How do those encourage thought exercise.

@trailhugger - before you mis understand my half drunken ramblings ….if there are 5 people I’ve met in my life that I think are qualified to home school and actually pull it off and produce awesome vibrant productive members of society - you are unquestionably at the top of the pool. That isn’t intended as a slight. But yet… I still believe at some point kids need parental separation and socialization

For all the supporters of YouTube and various programs ….how do those respond when a kid asks a question the teacher doesn’t understand?

How do those encourage thought exercise.
Read the comments. Someone always knows the answer in the comments! And talk about some thought exercises...it's downright mental gymnastics!

Back