Lumber prices and alternatives

Geez...

I wonder how much PT 12’ 4x4s are. I need 6 for my new shelters. Was thinking 6x6 but not now.
10 footers were $28 when I was there yesterday. 4x4 prices seemed to scale linearly by length so I'd wager about $34

I'd buget around $28ish.
@RatLabGuy around here, those same 6x6 cost the lumberyards around $58 each. So that's a "good" price actually.
Now that I do some math... I guess it makes sense. By that I mean the price fitst he logic, not tthat the price isn't looney toons.

A 4x4x10 is $28, and 160 ci. a 6x6x12 is 432 ci.
Thats a difference of ~2.7.... and the per ci price is about the same.

I guess its just easy to overlook howquickly things change when working in squared and cubic measurements.

All that said, I find it interesting that the 3x4 rounded-side landscape timbers are way cheaper than 4x4s. Swapping from 4x4s to those dropped my bill by 2/3rd for the same linear distance. I guess the overall demand is just not as high

I have a neighbor with some old power poles. Might ask him where he got em.

All that said, I find it interesting that the 3x4 rounded-side landscape timbers are way cheaper than 4x4s. Swapping from 4x4s to those dropped my bill by 2/3rd for the same linear distance. I guess the overall demand is just not as high
It's lower-quality wood.

if you dont mind me asking what local sawmill are you using?
Depends on what I'm working with. For Cedar I use Scott Cornwell over near the White water center. I don't remember the name of his sawmill. For walnut and other "nicer" species, I use Appalachian Walnut Company in Lincolnton.

193840680_10160947530082588_6971912334223363510_n.jpg

Meanwhile, @Jody Treadway over there:

Pay Day Money GIF by MOST EXPENSIVEST
Dave Chappelle Reaction GIF

Super League Money GIF by Anderson .Paak

Pretty sure Jody is in the same boat as us with lumber. We are making more money on volume but the margins are about the same as they were before the run up.

if we were getting rich on lumber I would be off the road and done repping.
We're doing well. Biggest issue is we have to float 3x the purchase costs that we used to for many times, longer periods of time.

Guess who found 2 loads of 2x4x16 under 850/m?
Woot! Its like winning the wood lottery...

I am thinking a small correction is slowly coming as the mills are calling us trying to sell full loads.

We are being very conservative in our purchasing and only keep enough for the houses we have sold with a little extra for our smaller contractors. Over 1/2 of what we have on the yard is already paid for .

Woot! Its like winning the wood lottery...

I am thinking a small correction is slowly coming as the mills are calling us trying to sell full loads.

We are being very conservative in our purchasing and only keep enough for the houses we have sold with a little extra for our smaller contractors. Over 1/2 of what we have on the yard is already paid for .
I spoke with my SYP mill today. They said even with lumber futures dropping, ALL mills are so far backordered, the prices and costs will remain high for some time. I know #2 dropped noticeably, but panels are still increasing.
I'm not sensing a panic drop anytime soon as long as demand is high and supply is low.

I spoke with my SYP mill today. They said even with lumber futures dropping, ALL mills are so far backordered, the prices and costs will remain high for some time. I know #2 dropped noticeably, but panels are still increasing.
I'm not sensing a panic drop anytime soon as long as demand is high and supply is low.
Agreed no panic drop , but more of a slight correction. I was shocked to get OSB at 35 a sheet . We still cant find much #1 , which is what we are known for selling.

Back