Lumber prices and alternatives

Started looking into building a shed to tide me over until material prices become more sane for the garage build.

3/4 PT plywood for the shed floor is currently $81/sheet at the normal players. So that's probably $250 for the plywood shed floor, and......

Pretty sure Jody is in the same boat as us with lumber. We are making more money on volume but the margins are about the same as they were before the run up.

if we were getting rich on lumber I would be off the road and done repping.
the same % of a big number is more than of a small number.

Stay tuned for more insightful business tips. lol

the same % of a big number is more than of a small number.
74% of $100 is better than 74% of $28

At least some rich business owner once told me that

74% of $100 is better than 74% of $28

At least some rich business owner once told me that
see the insider secrets of a manufacturer's rep's life.
See we know our market position and the market will fix our margin %....so if an engineer over specifies a project and everyone quotes a larger number then our profitability increases.

Thats the game we are suppsoed to play. I suck at games though and revert to honesty - its served me well and Ive wanted for little

That is partially true , but the cost of doing business is rising as well so there is an offset to account for. Want to get into gmroi and ebitda to really break it down?
Only if you want spam pics of my next 37 BMs

Only if you want spam pics of my next 37 BMs
A43CA16D-E207-47DD-8C66-036C2D89BBCC.gif

Dimensional lumber is dropping fast. Panel products however are still rising.
Saw some chatter on this news yesterday and been watching this thread to see the take

Dimensional lumber is dropping fast. Panel products however are still rising.

Well, some good news at least with dimensional prices.

I'm planning on sheathing the shed with red Thermoply, because it's still like $10 a sheet. Well, maybe, unless the OSB demand has spiked it as an alternate material. I'll probably add some let-in braces though, because I still don't trust that stuff. Seems to work okay as my house sheathing, since 1989.

So why is this? Diferent markets?
Obviously Ill let the SME (the honorable Mr Humility himself) correct me if Im wrong, but my understanding is OSB has been hit by a massive 1-2 punch.

There was the wood product shortage that impacted all lumber price, and there was also a chemical supply chain issue for the bonding resin resulting from either the Texas snowfall or a plant fire, or maybe a hummingbird got caught in the weathervane or something.

But as Rodney's post surmises, we are all Nero fiddling along while we are inflated. Lumber prices fell the largets in history. However the new "normal" would account for the 2nd largest price increase in a 120 day span in the track of the commodity.
Its classic market manipulation.

Widgets sell for $1.00 and people buy them as needed.
OMG We are almost out of widgets better buy while you can.
We have no widgets must raise price to $5.
Panic buying, what will we do without widgets.
Demand is still out stripping supply. New Wdiget Price $7.
MORE WIDGETS
Ok Widgets are now $20.
Some people still need widgets. Others say screw a widget it aint that good.
Finally supply is starting to restore.
Oh crap we have way too much supply and storage costs money.
Widget prices slashed fro m new high of $23 to a free fall of only $6.50.
People: Thank you o much for the affordable $6.50 widgets. You are so great.
News, Widget value FREE FALLS biggest in history. Price still 6x what it was 90 days ago.
Widget King CEO rides off in sunset.
La Fin

Obviously Ill let the SME (the honorable Mr Humility himself) correct me if Im wrong, but my understanding is OSB has been hit by a massive 1-2 punch.

There was the wood product shortage that impacted all lumber price, and there was also a chemical supply chain issue for the bonding resin resulting from either the Texas snowfall or a plant fire, or maybe a hummingbird got caught in the weathervane or something.

But as Rodney's post surmises, we are all Nero fiddling along while we are inflated. Lumber prices fell the largets in history. However the new "normal" would account for the 2nd largest price increase in a 120 day span in the track of the commodity.
Its classic market manipulation.

Widgets sell for $1.00 and people buy them as needed.
OMG We are almost out of widgets better buy while you can.
We have no widgets must raise price to $5.
Panic buying, what will we do without widgets.
Demand is still out stripping supply. New Wdiget Price $7.
MORE WIDGETS
Ok Widgets are now $20.
Some people still need widgets. Others say screw a widget it aint that good.
Finally supply is starting to restore.
Oh crap we have way too much supply and storage costs money.
Widget prices slashed fro m new high of $23 to a free fall of only $6.50.
People: Thank you o much for the affordable $6.50 widgets. You are so great.
News, Widget value FREE FALLS biggest in history. Price still 6x what it was 90 days ago.
Widget King CEO rides off in sunset.
La Fin

Yup.
Some companies, somewhere are making an absolute killing off this (these) price hikes. All jokes aside, it isn't the local yards or even the middle-man distributors. We are all having mega sales months, but at the cost of mega purchase months.
It is however very true that xx% of $85 puts more in the bank than the same percentage markup of a $30 item.

Dimensional took another triple digit drop overnight. It's officially going down like #BTL after 2 White Claws.
Panels didn't move enough to make a difference.
So #btl drinks two white claws and then goes down on you?
I mean... umm....
Well you ARE in Asheville so I guess #mountainboy gonna mountainboy

Back