Lumber prices and alternatives

The guy who did my remodel 3 years ago has a good chunk of acreage. With the storms that have rolled through the last few years, he had some good sized trees that had fell/broke. So a couple of years ago, he bought one of those bandsaw mills. He extended it to be able to saw a little over 16'. He already had a couple tractors. He bought a tractor trailer load of old power poles. So far, he has pulled several trees out that he had cut to length and limbed. I went over to dinner a couple weeks ago and he took me down and showed me his operation. I was impressed with the lumber he has/is cutting. It looks a hellova lot better than what you pick up at Lowes! He has made a large shelter for his sawmill, And is currently building a livestock barn. Did I mentiojn he has every type animal just about except for cows and horses! After the barn, he's going to build another large shelter to store the lumber he cuts. With what he is saving on lumber, the bandsaw will more than pay for it's self long before his current projects are finished!

Two booms flying today. One lifting the steel to replace the LVLs that are scarce to find and the other flying trusses that were delivered 3 weeks late. Building continues...

Attachments

• 20210527_132931.jpg
    20210527_132931.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 140
  • 20210527_133001.jpg
    20210527_133001.jpg
    171.6 KB · Views: 143
  • 20210527_133113.jpg
    20210527_133113.jpg
    225 KB · Views: 140
All i know is I waited too long to replace the boards on our equipment trailer. lol

What is the preferred lumber for trailer floors?
The sawmill I deal with in Hillsville will cut true 2” oak in whatever length. Treat it with a good oil and it will last a looong time.

Shiller says housing prices will likely continue to increase for the next 2 years, and the price increases may be exacerbated by the current slowdown in housing starts.

@CasterTroy or anyone else who did it, who is a good company to discuss barndominium or other steel framed/sided homes with?

We need to see some plans and prices.

Shiller says housing prices will likely continue to increase for the next 2 years, and the price increases may be exacerbated by the current slowdown in housing starts.
what are they saying about the houses that are default on loans that the gov. is keeping from being foreclosed on now? Ive seen several places think that when the gov. stops kicking the can down the road there will basically be a market reset on housing and prices "SHOULD" come down some.

what are they saying about the houses that are default on loans that the gov. is keeping from being foreclosed on now? Ive seen several places think that when the gov. stops kicking the can down the road there will basically be a market reset on housing and prices "SHOULD" come down some.
Didn't mention it

Didn't mention it
I think its a real concern. What level of concern - Im not sure.
Ive been blessed through this, but a friend who owns a bunch of local rentals has 8 in default and the tenants are saying "I can pay - I aint going to because you cant evict me" according to him.
You know the same has to be happening at the lender level, but then again there isnt a job crisis there is a workforce crisis so I suspect the deadbeats will get a job before they are homeless. I think. Maybe. But Im not confident.

@CasterTroy or anyone else who did it, who is a good company to discuss barndominium or other steel framed/sided homes with?

We need to see some plans and prices.
There's a Barndominium FB page and a few folks on there running solidwerks kind of software that gives you a great walk thru and helps you understand their design. No idea what they charge but if you ask about it, several folks will reply willing to design you anything.

As far as price, last year this time I would have said with confidence what Carolina Post and frame quoted me was accurate:

$90 a sq ft for heated areas, $25 a sq ft for workshop areas, $10 a sq ft for leantos or extended gable canopy areas, $25 a sq ft for finished porch areas. This includes turnkey work. Concrete the whole works. Fixtures included in the heated area along with all painting and flooring

But that's gone with the wind. I would venture to say it's likely more than double that now.

Morton buildings in Lexington will turnkey a project for you. It's expensive though.

I think its a real concern. What level of concern - Im not sure.
Ive been blessed through this, but a friend who owns a bunch of local rentals has 8 in default and the tenants are saying "I can pay - I aint going to because you cant evict me" according to him.
You know the same has to be happening at the lender level, but then again there isnt a job crisis there is a workforce crisis so I suspect the deadbeats will get a job before they are homeless. I think. Maybe. But Im not confident.
My question is, what kind of BS will .gov come up with to stop the moratorium? I know that currently people cant be evicted/foreclosed, but what happens when that stops? Are owners/lenders supposed to forgive the last 18/12/6 months? Will they be required to give them a certain time to catch up? I know the Democrats look at lenders/owners as "the rich" and will likely continue to screw them, but just how much.

Sitting in the 7600 this am getting unloaded at Asheville Regional Airport. Allegiant is building a new terminal here. Across the runway is a plant, GF Linamar, we supplied last year.
PXL_20210528_144556133.jpg

BTW- panels jumped another $50/m BF last night. Or about $1.60 per sheet Some narrow dimensional dropped $5-15/1000. Not enough to make any difference.

My question is, what kind of BS will .gov come up with to stop the moratorium? I know that currently people cant be evicted/foreclosed, but what happens when that stops? Are owners/lenders supposed to forgive the last 18/12/6 months? Will they be required to give them a certain time to catch up? I know the Democrats look at lenders/owners as "the rich" and will likely continue to screw them, but just how much.
what ive read is they expect 1/2 the people that are past due to basically start making payments again as soon as they are required. but the back amount not payed, i havent seen anything how they expect to deal with that. seems like the gov. is expecting the banks to take it on the chin, but seems like a fair trade since they bailed them all out not to long ago.

The banks don't care. The loans are held by Fannie and Freddie. We're going to take it on the chin, just like last time
what ive read is they expect 1/2 the people that are past due to basically start making payments again as soon as they are required. but the back amount not payed, i havent seen anything how they expect to deal with that. seems like the gov. is expecting the banks to take it on the chin, but seems like a fair trade since they bailed them all out not to long ago.

I'm just glad that most of the material I use hasn't risen in price. I just picked up 6, 4"x6"x10' cedar posts for a new build from a local sawmill. $3 a bf. My walnut prices have stayed relatively the same as well. If those prices start moving upward, I'll just have to pass it on to the clients and hope they understand.

It's to the point that I'm seriously considering re-flooring my deck with cedar from a local sawmill. I'll spend about .50c more per board than pine decking but it will look amazing and last a lot longer.

W.
T.
F.?
20210531_200819.jpg

I mean I know prices are high as giraffe vagina but.... what's this all about?

I had accepted my fate of paying $28 each for a handful of 4x4x10s to use to contain the rock on my shed foundation, then literally outside the door I saw landscape timbers for only 6.50 and happily returned all that and save 100 bucks.

Geez...

I wonder how much PT 12’ 4x4s are. I need 6 for my new shelters. Was thinking 6x6 but not now.

Back