Lumber prices and alternatives

Not the news I wanted to hear/read today. Thank you for sharing though!
Same here.
I'm very well stocked for my day to day large wholesale accounts and a couple pseudo local large projects.
Beyond that, it's time to use what I learned in the late spring this time around.

I think this one is running a couple weeks behind:

1639676470135.png

If people would just stop buying the prices would plummet. We are so stupid and our own worst enemy.
I dont disagree, but that sounds an awful lot like a "2wks to flatten the curve" kinda statement.

If people would just stop buying the prices would plummet. We are so stupid and our own worst enemy.
These are both facts. The context is less simple.

I mean, that is how supply and demand work, but... then what?

I mean, that is how supply and demand work, but... then what?
We start a Facebook group called "Don't buy lumber for 2 weeks". Circulate it widely and we can all stick it to the man.

Edit: make this group to where Jody can't see it so he doesn't get butthurt.

Here's a Bid, Jody wouldn't touch! Article in hometown paper, about the Chronicle Mill, in Belmont, NC, being converted to apartments. When the Mill was built 1901, the bricklayers got $1.75, per thousand bricks, set. Timber & Lumber used cost "$13 per thousand board feet, Delivered, to the site"!
$13 dollars today, might buy you a 2x6x? ! :lol:

Here's a Bid, Jody wouldn't touch! Article in hometown paper, about the Chronicle Mill, in Belmont, NC, being converted to apartments. When the Mill was built 1901, the bricklayers got $1.75, per thousand bricks, set. Timber & Lumber used cost "$13 per thousand board feet, Delivered, to the site"!
$13 dollars today, might buy you a 2x6x? ! :lol:
I'm supplying 2 of those type mill projects now. One in Spartanburg and one in Greensboro. Did one in Inman SC 2 years ago. They can be a challenge to match and procure 120 year old decking and timber patterns.
Luckily, I know a guy who can handle just such a challenge :D

I'm supplying 2 of those type mill projects now. One in Spartanburg and one in Greensboro. Did one in Inman SC 2 years ago. They can be a challenge to match and procure 120 year old decking and timber patterns.
The one in Greensboro on Howard st?

Mid-week print came out this AM.
Plywood up $60-$90/m which is $2-$3 per sheet since Friday. Lumber upnearly $100/m which can be from $0.07-$0.20 per lin/ft. That adds up quickly.
Plywood mills and SYP mills are offline and out of stock.
It's about to get crappy again.

Yea those mill conversions are a biotch. We did the Glenn Raven one.

Mid-week print came out this AM.
Plywood up $60-$90/m which is $2-$3 per sheet since Friday. Lumber upnearly $100/m which can be from $0.07-$0.20 per lin/ft. That adds up quickly.
Plywood mills and SYP mills are offline and out of stock.
It's about to get crappy again.
Don’t the mills typically go down this time of year for a couple weeks for upgrades and maintenance?

The reason it’s going to effect us is because they don’t have the back stock?

Don’t the mills typically go down this time of year for a couple weeks for upgrades and maintenance?

The reason it’s going to effect us is because they don’t have the back stock?
They do. However...
Biden doubled the tariffs on Canadian SPF, then buyers started snatching up SYP since it was cheaper. Then big box stores did what they did in the spring and made HUGE contract purchases with treaters. This is the same scenario as this past spring.
Now, 3 weeks later and we're getting 2-3 price increases each week. I got a fresh one this am actually. Another 65/m on panels and 85/m on dimensional.
No mill has CDX sitting there for the open market currently.

Was at Home Depot last night. They have all the 7/16 OSB. All of it.

Was at Home Depot last night. They have all the 7/16 OSB. All of it.
HD and Lowe's buy trainloads, not train cars at a time when it's low in price. Then they sit on it for ever how long they wish. As the market rises, they sell and make terrific profit.
They each actually have the volume to control and change the OSB market.

HD and Lowe's buy trainloads, not train cars at a time when it's low in price. Then they sit on it for ever how long they wish. As the market rises, they sell and make terrific profit.
They each actually have the volume to control and change the OSB market.
And don't forget those train loads might take 3 months to get picked up and delivered.

Back