Lumber prices and alternatives

"Roll over granny and take what's coming..."
Effective tomorrow, expect panel prices to go up 250-300/m and lumber to rise between 100-200/m. Demand is higher than ever and plywood mills are off the market. Combined with shutdowns for maintainence and trucking shortages, here we go again.
2x6 SYP went from 4XX/m to almost 900/m this week alone (granted that's a higher demand size)

My supplier sheet good pricing is all over the place. I was invoiced $105 for CDX FT at two branches my salesmen is not at. He is charging me $57.00 per sheet, but he doesn't have any. LOL. They are selling it for what they bought it for and he is selling it to me at his cost today, but always can't fulfill my order. Others are at $58.00 and $65.00.

R-19 is non existent in Charlotte right now but shouldn't be a problem to get in two weeks I'm told. Waiting on freight carriers.

Anything that has Silica, fiberglass or exterior gypsum sheathing is also going up and shortages are coming.

I spoke to a roofer today he told me his insulation is 12-16 months out!!!

"Roll over granny and take what's coming..."
Effective tomorrow, expect panel prices to go up 250-300/m and lumber to rise between 100-200/m. Demand is higher than ever and plywood mills are off the market. Combined with shutdowns for maintainence and trucking shortages, here we go again.
2x6 SYP went from 4XX/m to almost 900/m this week alone (granted that's a higher demand size)

Want to buy some fence posts? 🤣

My supplier sheet good pricing is all over the place. I was invoiced $105 for CDX FT at two branches my salesmen is not at. He is charging me $57.00 per sheet, but he doesn't have any. LOL. They are selling it for what they bought it for and he is selling it to me at his cost today, but always can't fulfill my order. Others are at $58.00 and $65.00.

R-19 is non existent in Charlotte right now but shouldn't be a problem to get in two weeks I'm told. Waiting on freight carriers.

Anything that has Silica, fiberglass or exterior gypsum sheathing is also going up and shortages are coming.

I spoke to a roofer today he told me his insulation is 12-16 months out!!!
If we can help you out, you know we will. We are fully stocked at my yard with dimensional and 1/2, 5/8 and 3/4 FRT.

You got fence posts?? I am hunting for a few truckloads!

Haha yeah I have about 90 5-6” x 7’ treated posts. But they’re not for sale. The joke there is I hit up @Jody Treadway for a couple of bundles which he didn’t have available. Then I won two bundles at auction a few days later.

My neighbor has 500 he bought a few years ago. He plans to fence off some of his place this spring. I had no idea there was a shortage.

My neighbor has 500 he bought a few years ago. He plans to fence off some of his place this spring. I had no idea there was a shortage.
They're on allocation from most mills to places like TSC, Southern States, farm supply places, etc.
My treater has had none available all year outside of contract sales.

Call Culpeper and listen to them laugh at ya. Happened to me 3 weeks ago!
Lol! It's a mess. I went by one of my local manufacturers yesterday only to find out he quit making them... Heck of a market and margins right now to step away from making them!
Haha yeah I have about 90 5-6” x 7’ treated posts. But they’re not for sale. The joke there is I hit up @Jody Treadway for a couple of bundles which he didn’t have available. Then I won two bundles at auction a few days later.
Dang! I was hoping you were making them! Lol

Do y’all really need fence post? We’ve got a place down that road that does nothing but fencing and stuff. They get a tractor trailer load at least twice a week.
I personally don’t right now but eventually do want to fence in my pasture for some critters. People used to make them from locust and they’d last a right good while 🤷🏼

Maybe soak the bottoms in used motor oil. Modern problems require old solutions in supply chain crisis 😎

I personally don’t right now but eventually do want to fence in my pasture for some critters. People used to make them from locust and they’d last a right good while 🤷🏼

Maybe soak the bottoms in used motor oil. Modern problems require old solutions in supply chain crisis 😎
They’ve got some treated stuff now that lasts a long ass time but I still like a good locust posts for corners and bracing. Let me know if you need some. I can probably have shipping took care of if needed.

They’ve got some treated stuff now that lasts a long ass time but I still like a good locust posts for corners and bracing. Let me know if you need some. I can probably have shipping took care of if needed.
I’ve got a few old creosote phone poles too that will do nice on corners but ai may just take you up on that.

I’ve got a few old creosote phone poles too that will do nice on corners but ai may just take you up on that.
If you use old telephone poles and put the cut end in the ground you need to treat the end you put in the ground of they will rot from the middle out. I put tar on the end i put in the ground.

Heres the difference in some of the numbers I was given in May vs yesterday. Im glad we were nowhere near ready to build in May. Still not cheap as it used to be, but just glad it's not as bad as it could have been. About to make a big order....

Screen Shot 2021-12-11 at 9.12.32 PM.png

Well, I best begin preparing my wife to stay in this tin can another year. I am not paying double for material. If it is the new forever normal we’ll reassess at that time.

@trailerlyfe

Back