Lumber prices and alternatives

Last edited:
Amazingly, this is a time lapse of the same piece of wood, and just like the rest of us, the wood has gotten smaller and softer as it aged! :laughing: :(

Few pics of some of the pines that have either fallen or I've had taken down and having milled into lumber. The blocking pieces are 2x6s and this log came down in the winds that came through last weekend

1641768965931.png

1641769022466.png

1641769042926.png

1641769064476.png

1641769083951.png

1641769109114.png

Now go find one that straight, dry, and uncracked :laughing:
I told a guy there once “if this is prime I’d hate to see seconds”.

Seriously, $10 for a 2x4 😐

2x4x8 is 6.98 at local HD - do I need to go stockpile?

EDIT - yeah PT is 9.88

Last edited:
That price was for PT, fellers

That price was for PT, fellers
Just got my new mill direct price sheets- that 2x4x8 #2 PT would cost us $8.98 each. We're talking that price based on a fulkl truckload of mixed stock. Our PT mill is the same on HD buys from for reference.
Once again, plywood went up another 125/m ($4) per sheet and dimensional lumber on average $85-$100/m BF. That's around $0.07-$0.20 per lin/ft.
It ain't getting better (for y'all consumers :flipoff2:)

But the wholesalers are taking it to the bank.
All joking aside, the mills are the ones cleaning up right now. We have been cutting margins all along to help out our regular customers. When replacement costs go up 5-10% weekly, it's tough not to do the same.
On a truly wholesale level, dimensional SYP stayed pretty flat this week. Since treated and FRT lags a couple weeks behind, it may indicate we've reached a peak. Hopefully the prices will ease up or at least stop increasing. I'll know better next Friday after seeing this week's trends.

Well, after reading Jody’s post to her, my wife has finally accepted we’re trailer people til things get better. Guess we’ll do the kitchen, everything else has been upgraded.

We’ll have the only mobile home with granite counters in Surry Co 🤣

All joking aside, the mills are the ones cleaning up right now. We have been cutting margins all along to help out our regular customers. When replacement costs go up 5-10% weekly, it's tough not to do the same.
On a truly wholesale level, dimensional SYP stayed pretty flat this week. Since treated and FRT lags a couple weeks behind, it may indicate we've reached a peak. Hopefully the prices will ease up or at least stop increasing. I'll know better next Friday after seeing this week's trends.
Correct me if Im wrong and I probably am but dont most plywood/osb come from Canada and if so how is the looming trucker walk out in Canada gonna affect prices.

Correct me if Im wrong and I probably am but dont most plywood/osb come from Canada and if so how is the looming trucker walk out in Canada gonna affect prices.
Nope. Most is made regionally. There are huge mills throughout SC, GA, the deep south as well as around Raleigh.
99 percent of white wood (spruce) comes out of Canada. A lot of cedar does also.
Southern yellow pine (what treated lumber is made with) comes out of Camden, Dudley, Prosperity among other places in NC and SC.

There is a big plywood place in Darlington, SC. We use to haul for them when we had flat beds. Had to google it. Diamond Hill Plywood and Darlington Veneer Co. are the one I was thinking about.

There is a big plywood place in Darlington, SC. We use to haul for them when we had flat beds. Had to google it. Diamond Hill Plywood and Darlington Veneer Co. are the one I was thinking about.
Yup. They're distributors.
Georgia Pacific has a huge plywood manufacturing mill in Prosperity and Boise Cascade has one in Chester. I used to pick up truckloads there back in the day.
No CDL either. Nobody told me I needed one.

True. I asked my father in law. That was my first mistake!
I went through so many weight stations and somehow never got red lighted.
I worked one summer at the Chester board plant. Back then it was owned by Willamette …anyway man you talk about eye opening. My job was intake QC…so we’d sit in the scale house and if a load looked suspect we’d have to unload it spread it inspect it and determine if it was up to par or how much cull was in there. There were also regular schedule random spreads …anyway that scale house the average truck coming in was 88-90k lbs. saw plenty of triple digits loads.
Two times that summer the DOT man would set up there on highway 9 with scales…you’d know because you got to go home at lunch because the CBs would light up and no drivers would haul

In the summer of 1986 I did a college internship at the lowes manufacturing facility in Thomasville. I worked in shipping and receiving for a bit. Me and another co worker would measure every board of every bundle of every load that came in to make sure we were not getting shorted on board feet. The driver did not have to wait after it was unloaded. We just wrote on the invoice "subject to later count".

I’m not sure if any other builders are having people come in and wanting to build and not understand why everything is so expensive. In the last two weeks we’ve had the “you don’t have enough money for what you want” talk with clients.

One guy thought wormy chestnut was a easily sourced lumber and wanted all his floors done in it

Back