Mall Crawling Racer...... #4410

Well the next week or so should be fun:).

MCutler's garage- builder of the Ultra4 'Manche- is helping with some green flag prep on the 4410. Matt started going over the KOH prep plan with me and it was like examine the chassis something something and replace a bearing ball unit something something. Honestly, I started glazing over because the new season of Gilmore Girls is out on Netflix and I'm like super pumped about it.

image.jpeg

Got the 4410 Redlyner Racing bomber stripped down for cleaning and inspection. No severe red flags have been uncovered. Some minor repairs to be made, marked by the yellow tape. Once repairs are done, it will be on to r&r on the diffs, bearings, and replacement of the heims with new Ruffstuff units.

5a27c58aff046d84263e1f9f88982335.jpg

da112a3e492a1a76de999b6942f044bf.jpg

bd9be28f310bee829f3bd02f65ff3878.jpg

6ab98c311c3e95410fd4ad305e3f8f71.jpg

585cd6067c8300f7531f9ab772580353.jpg

Matt

Just curious...I looked at the pictures for a while and I'm still trying to figure out what's being used to keep the lower links from rotating. I don't see any wobble stoppers or anything like them. At first I was just curious about the front with the sway bar, but then I checked the rear and noticed the shocks are mounted above the centerline of the links along with the sway bar and whatever else.

Just curious...I looked at the pictures for a while and I'm still trying to figure out what's being used to keep the lower links from rotating. I don't see any wobble stoppers or anything like them. At first I was just curious about the front with the sway bar, but then I checked the rear and noticed the shocks are mounted above the centerline of the links along with the sway bar and whatever else.
I'll get you a pic here shortly

Matt

Forgot to get a close up pic for you, but this is the same concept. Bushings on the shock eye around the misalignment bushings keep rotation down.

Think this is/ was on Sam's buggy, iirc Will Carter does something similar as well as many U4 teams.

ae23abf4fbfb4fb685050e0f4b4245f2.jpg

Matt

We are about to do the exact same thing to my buggy just because its so light it will help with tuning

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Forgot to get a close up pic for you, but this is the same concept. Bushings on the shock eye around the misalignment bushings keep rotation down.

Think this is/ was on Sam's buggy, iirc Will Carter does something similar as well as many U4 teams.

ae23abf4fbfb4fb685050e0f4b4245f2.jpg

Matt

Wayne said Shannon Campbell original setup was just like this and there was never any signs of wear in the shocks.

I figure if it's good enough for SC, it'll work for me haha.

Pretty sure Waylan has that buggy now, and SC current buggy has trailing arms similar to matts Manche.

@REDLYNER good luck and HAMMER DOWN in the desert. Looking like you have an unfair advantage with @mcutler giving the car the once, twice, three times over.

It's basically 90% prep, 10% driver.

Having someone as meticulous and knowledgable as @mcutler on the team is critical for a successful campaign.

Wayne said Shannon Campbell original setup was just like this and there was never any signs of wear in the shocks.

I figure if it's good enough for SC, it'll work for me haha.

Pretty sure Waylan has that buggy now, and SC current buggy has trailing arms similar to matts Manche.
Yep, talked with Dan @Ruffstuff for an hour or so one Saturday morning (before he released them) about this subject. He told me about Shannon's design, and that they would soon be licensed SC component builders, hence the new Campbell trailing arms. Per the website, my arms are only a couple pounds more than the Campbell signature arms.

Matt

Also; he mentioned that under Shannon's car, they only last 3-4 races...bending sideways...expendable items!

Matt

Are they using slugged tubing like you did yours? If so, that seems hard to believe it would be hitting that hard sideways. I believe I would redesign vs having to replace a few times per year.

Are they using slugged tubing like you did yours? If so, that seems hard to believe it would be hitting that hard sideways. I believe I would redesign vs having to replace a few times per year.

They were bending sideways due to hard cornering, as it was explained to me. "Bending moment"

Screenshot_20170104-092720.png

Screenshot_20170104-092756.png

Screenshot_20170104-092731.png

Mo work

2eedbdc438cafed709b95b7e3f854c8e.jpg

Someone asked how I keep it organized in my chaos...

a66687f8d9aaaddb6049428ff5e39ace.jpg

Wear parts are inbound...thanks ruffstuff and spidertrax.

If I can kick this cold my boys gave me, should have all the mechanical back together by Friday night, do some small fab tid bits, and weld repairs Saturday and Sunday before that guy with all the products in his hair, (and an out of season tan) gets back- for the 4410's trip back to Mooresville...

Matt

It's basically 90% prep, 10% driver.

Having someone as meticulous and knowledgable as @mcutler on the team is critical for a successful campaign.

Interwebz quote of the day award winner right here @REDLYNER.
@mcutler is the only person i know who has OCD worse than me.
Details,details,details= good times on the trails.

Nut/bolt check is done and painted, rear bearings are packed, both axles sealed back up, everything is greased, cracks are welded-(including one in the bottom hole of the rear housing bolt pattern; which I didn't discover until it was sealed up and full of lube....redo...), right knuckle rebuilt, shock/bypass/bump pressures are checked, two more links left to r&r heims, and ruffstuff pinion guard installed.

7a1949d98dbcfd52d728d4b0cbe4a1c3.jpg

5604f435a442c09c2d709d1f83c47c8c.jpg

4bed2ebaf3f6b584766008b87f2a69b8.jpg

ccea7534e409df33e0da59e16ab2e64d.jpg

9fd13b86c5355e03e328e641b7804f01.jpg

Tomorrow will be finishing the last 4 heim replacements from ruffstuff, then make some number plates and a few other small tasks. The Redlyner 4410 bomber may have an extended stay due to the frozen tundra which is my parking lot right now...

Matt

Back