Mini Excavators

So, I've been looking on Craigslist using Search Tempest, Facebook Marketplace, Machinery Trader, and Equipment Trader.

It's looking like I need to focus on early to mid 2000s Bobcat 331s, 335s, and maybe 337s. The Kubotas are high dollar apparently unless you get really old ones.

I got my new one. Ended up trading my bobcat t650 for it, the guy delivered it too. He had rigged the starter switch (it was sticking) by adding a starter button. He said the bad switch cost him a starter and a set of batteries. Well lucky me the cheap starter button hung and fried the starter again.

So $22 for a new switch (eBay) and $202 for a new starter (eBay) and I should be good to go, still waiting on the starter. Switch was $120 and starter was $1800 from James River equipment....

So if anyone needs some excavator work done give me a call haha.

IMG_20180310_145007.jpg

Last edited:
All the really good deals I've found are on ones too big for me to move...go figure. That's sweet though, how much did you give for it?

All the really good deals I've found are on ones too big for me to move...go figure. That's sweet though, how much did you give for it?

Traded my t650 bobcat for it that I had bought on auction. Was a good deal for me but ended up costing me more $$ in the end to get a replacement for the t650. All good though, the foot controls on the bobcat absolutely killed my knees, so now I have pilot controls, A/C, and hi-flow hydraulics...

IMG_20180310_174052.jpg

I got my new one. Ended up trading my bobcat t650 for it, the guy delivered it too. He had rigged the starter switch (it was sticking) by adding a starter button. He said the bad switch cost him a starter and a set of batteries. Well lucky me the cheap starter button hung and fried the starter again.

So $22 for a new switch (eBay) and $202 for a new starter (eBay) and I should be good to go, still waiting on the starter. Switch was $120 and starter was $1800 from James River equipment....

So if anyone needs some excavator work done give me a call haha.

View attachment 264292
What's the deal with heavy equipment starters being so expensive? I thought $1500 for my dozer starter was crazy. $1800?!?!

What's the deal with heavy equipment starters being so expensive? I thought $1500 for my dozer starter was crazy. $1800?!?!

Yea I knew when I called it would be outrageous. Was mainly calling to get the part number (which the parts guy offered without me asking). He told me I better be sitting down before he gave me the price and recommended getting the one I had rebuilt.

The starter for it is apparently the same one used on about a gazillion other things (all with different part numbers of course).

2001 Bobcat 337 Excavators, Waynesboro GA - - EquipmentTrader

Well, I found this jewel in Georgia and I've been talking to the guy about it for a day or two now. He's got all of his service records, a 1000 page repair manual on a thumb drive, some new bushings in the bucket/knuckle area, and he painted the body and put new decals on it a year or so ago. He even put a new starter on it today because the bendix was hanging up. I can get it for 16,500.

What do you guys think? I've been looking at earlier 331s, 334s, 335s, and 337s. This is the best deal I've found for its size, hours, and the shape it's in. The only other thing I'd want sooner than later is a 36-48" ditching bucket.

With that being said....where's a good place to get buckets from? The dealers will break it off in you, so I know better than to get one from them.

Last edited:
2001 Bobcat 337 Excavators, Waynesboro GA - - EquipmentTrader

Well, I found this jewel in Georgia and I've been talking to the guy about it for a day or two now. He's got all of his service records, a 1000 page repair manual on a thumb drive, some new bushings in the bucket/knuckle area, and he painted the body and put new decals on it a year or so ago. He even put a new starter on it today because the bendix was hanging up. I can get it for 16,500.

What do you guys think? I've been looking at earlier 331s, 334s, 335s, and 337s. This is the best deal I've found for its size, hours, and the shape it's in. The only other thing I'd want sooner than later is a 36-48" ditching bucket.

With that being said....where's a good place to get buckets from? The dealers will break it off in you, so I know better than to get one from them.

Sprocket looks pretty worn, not that it will matter, but it is worn, so who knows if the idler or rollers are needing replacement as well. Worn undercarriage is not good on the tracks either and causes them to wear faster.

I absolutely DESPISE the 'paint job' machines. Every skid steer I called or emailed about that had a paint job had major flaws (in my eyes at lease). Most often heavy rust. The seller does sound 'honest' by the description, but I'd rather have a machine that needs paint than one that has just been painted.

My Kubota has scuffs here and there but nothing major, no rust (well, no more than one would expect). Even the ~2002 Hitachi that has who knows how many hours (meter doesn't work) doesn't have rust on it and no need for paint.

In short, if it had to be repainted it makes me wonder how rough they were on it for it to NEED paint.

I had to dig back through some of our email exchanges...

He replaced the planetaries a few years ago and the front rollers at the same time. He didn't mention the rollers specifically though.

He also mentioned that he is the original owner of the machine and that he bought it new, so with that, I feel like he painted it solely based on the fact that it "looked" like it needed to be freshened up. Basically the same reason I was planning to paint and re-sticker whatever machine I wind up with. If I don't have to though, I'm cool with that :D

Sorry to hijack, but since we're on the subject, does anybody know of any equipment salvage yards that might have some Link Belt parts? My dad has an older 2650 that is in need of a drive hub. The gears are gone in it.

That's where the planetaries in mine came from. They appear to function quite well.

Got some time today before work to mess with my new toy. I lifted up each side and checked the track tension, rollers, and all that good stuff. The left side was kinda loose, but the ride side wasn't too bad. Only one roller is trashed, but it'll stay put until the day I do tracks, rollers, sprockets, and front idlers.

Next on the agenda is addressing some knuckle bushings. He replaced some before I got it, but not all of them. I also need to see how much Bobcat will want to break it off in me for a new X Change coupler. Oh, and I need to get the fuel gauge working. Probably some chaffed wires or it just needs a sending unit.

All in all though, I'm pleased with my purchase. It runs very well and the hydraulics are responsive and strong. It's in pretty good shape for a 17 year old piece of equipment with almost 4000 hours on it.

Welllll...maybe it'll be alright after all :D If that was for a 331, I'm sure it'll be substantially more for a 337.

I got the bucket off and pulled the pins and such out to give everything a good once over. I've got some issues with the bore in the bottom of the arm. All three bushings fell right out, so I've got some work to do with that. The upper pin for the coupler/thumb mount had some wear, so I made a new one. I just need to harden it and it'll be ready to go. One of the bushings in the curl yoke casting fell out also, but at least that part is small enough that I can weld it up and clamp it down on a Bridgeport table and make it round again. Aside from that, I just need to knock the rest of the bushings out, clean everything real good, take some measurements, and go see how much some new bushings will set me back.

Sucks to not be using it just yet, but I figure if I go ahead and get it right it'll last me for a long time and I shouldn't have to worry about anything...at least not pins and bushings.

Those pins & bushings always wear on those units.. best solution I can figure out was to ream oversize and go with a larger pin or sleeve or after reaming to take a stock size pin. Costly whichever route is taken unless you do the work yourself. I think my customer was quoted 1500-2000 to rework the knuckle end of the boom.. I'm a mechanic, not a machinist. All that is beyond my realm, just the tools to do it would cost half that much i'm nearly certain. Sounds like you got it pretty well got it taken care of. Also if the alternator goes out on it, you can swap in a gm 2 wire fairly simply. Just need to swap the pulley and it'll bolt in otherwise. The wiring is simple. And even the discharging light will work.

Yea it stinks spending time and money to fix something you haven't even used. I have spent probably 400-500 on the Kubota for all new fluids and filters (even the hydraulic filters in the tank). But I at least know everything is new now.

The excavator I still need to change the motor oil, and fix some leaks. It has one hydraulic leak that shouldn't be hard to fix, the pump head leaks the lube oil, but it might be one of those things that isn't worth fixing, just keep it full. Gotta pressure wash it and see where the leak is.

It's not the end of the world. It gives me a chance to get really familiar with how it all works and will make me think twice about doing something stupid with it so I don't tear it up..again :D

Thankfully, the guy I got this from was really good about keeping the hydraulics clean. The E42 I had looked at was milky and the saleman told me it was normal because of condensation...uh huh, suuure. He had also just serviced it in January, so at least I don't need to do that for a while.

Check the hyd pump drive coupler. Make sure the steel is tight on the shaft and the plastic tube condition. The pump main shaft is $900.. steel coupler is $50, plastic is like 150. Don't hold me to that, it's from memory. The center swivel hydraulic thing all the lower hydraulics run through isn't bad to rebuild when it starts leaking. Bunch of seals.

Dropped the rig off today to have the main eye fixed on the boom. Instead of line boring and sleeving it, they're cutting the end off and welding on a new one. Should only set me back 500 bucks or so. I'm good with that!

Here's a small update on my machine.

I finally got it put hack together with a new coupler, pins, and a new to me 3' bucket that I scored for 400 bucks!

The coupler kit, three bushings, and six grease seals was 2650 bucks.....but I should be good for a loooong time. I made a new main pivot pin and all of the spacers/washers to fit between the boom eye, coupler, thumb, and dog bone.

The previous owner told me the fuel gauge didn't work, but it does now. Maybe the 6 hour ride home back in March cleaned it with fuel sloshing around...who knows?

I'm ready to get to work and start collecting more buckets and a Rut Manufacturing brush cutter :D I do need four quick connects, three hydraulic lines, and to fix the curl cylinder rod end, but it's functional enough to use!

Back