Mini Excavators

Here's a few pics I've taken along the way...

The top pin is the one I made. It's 4130 that's heat treated. It's in the high 40s on the Rockwell C. Not the ideal material, but the price couldn't be beat!

20180730_175607.jpg

20180730_175545.jpg

The only measuring device I had that would measure 10" was a tape. I had to make four spacer/washers in this area, but them bitches fit like a glove. Two of them are .218 thick and the other two are .343 thick. The much thicker ones are 1.320. Everything worked out surprisingly well!
20180731_195347.jpg

I made another spacer to go on that left side. The original coupler had a latch around that dog bone and these make up that difference.
20180731_195336.jpg

20180731_195304.jpg

20180731_195402.jpg

20180801_192814.jpg

That three foot bucket looks massive...my old two footer needs a new coupler welded on to fit the pin-on style x-change coupler, but I'll get around to that eventually.

When can I drop mine off for similar treatment? :lol:

I might find out I can make more money fixing equipment than I can using the equipment to do odd jobs!

Probably so. I'm pretty easy on equipment so it'll last as long as possible. In a few years, once I rebuild the undercarriage, it'll pretty much be new and I'll still have less in it than most people want for a much smaller machine.

This is how niche businesses start. Good job so far. I'd say the 4140ph pin will last you the rest of the life of the machine
Except it's 4130, not 4140, so it will probably shear just from it's own weight!

Seeing prices on equipment and repairs on these things makes me think I should just hire someone to clear land and not even toy with the idea of getting something like a bobcat or mini excavator. Good info guys.

Last edited:
023E4EB5-3DC8-4A47-BED1-84E258E3436A.jpeg

Repair help question for you guys? Bobcat 325 Mini X pictured above. Today, the boom cylinder (closest to cab) decided to shoot the cylinder seal out. It’s dry rotted something fierce. Got all the lines unhooked from the cylinder and retainer bolts out of the pins but the pins won’t budge. Any tips of tricks? Usually we can just drive them out with a sledge and punch on most of the equipment but this one is being a bastard.

View attachment 274012

Repair help question for you guys? Bobcat 325 Mini X pictured above. Today, the boom cylinder (closest to cab) decided to shoot the cylinder seal out. It’s dry rotted something fierce. Got all the lines unhooked from the cylinder and retainer bolts out of the pins but the pins won’t budge. Any tips of tricks? Usually we can just drive them out with a sledge and punch on most of the equipment but this one is being a bastard.
I assume you got the weight and pressure off the cylinder. How worn are the pins? Could they be grooved from wear? If you can get a bite on them, try rotating them 90 degrees.

My thumb cylinder is the same way. I also need to pull the bucket curl cylinder, the eye on the end of the rod is worn out and the bushing slides right through it.

I assume you got the weight and pressure off the cylinder. How worn are the pins? Could they be grooved from wear? If you can get a bite on them, try rotating them 90 degrees.

Got the upper one out this afternoon after some more time with the hammer. Lower one wouldn’t budge so it’s soaking in some penetrating oil. No way to get a bite on them. Just hammer and punch. Of course they’re the only two pins on the whole machine that don’t move freely :lol:

Since the weather in eastern NC is more indecisive than a woman when you ask her where she wants to eat....I said screw it and went and got my excavator and finished getting rid of the few smalls trees I was taking out. It never did rain today :rolleyes:

20180812_181754.jpg

20180812_181609.jpg

I'm "digging" this thread back up :D

I split a track and it rolled off. The tracks are toast and I'm due for an undercarriage rebuild. I'll need two tracks, two idlers, two sprockets, and 10 bottom rollers. The tracks are the originals along with all of the undercarriage, aside from one of the front idlers. They're 18 years old and have 4100 hrs on them. I don't think they owe anyone anything.

Does anybody know of a good place I can get all this stuff from? I've been looking at Pentom Supply because they have an awesome website, but I feel like I can probably do a little bit better than 5600 bucks...

Here's pics because everybody likes pictures.

20190331_160505.jpg

20190331_160515.jpg

What about that final drive company? I can't remember the name right off but I think it's "final drive something another" they were The Cheapest on rebuilt final drives, I would think they would sell the idlers and stuff too.

Have you checked with Bobcat? Most of their stuff is outrageously expensive, but some things are surprisingly cheap.

Can you pm me part numbers? I might be able to help.

The track is split, so it won't stay on. I also haven't found another one that was anywhere close to the price I paid for this one.

Put the track back on it and sell it for a small discount and let someone else figure it out and buy another one with less work needed

The track is split, so it won't stay on. I also haven't found another one that was anywhere close to the price I paid for this one.
:( I have been on this receiving end. Small discount?:confused: hmmmmmm. I read coupon from asshole.
Even when it's shit an honest man relays it.

Have you checked with Bobcat? Most of their stuff is outrageously expensive, but some things are surprisingly cheap.

I thought the same thing, but this definitely isn't one of those things.

With Bobcat tracks, it's 7876.04 before tax and with Earth Force tracks, it's 7264.24.

I thought the same thing, but this definitely isn't one of those things.

With Bobcat tracks, it's 7876.04 before tax and with Earth Force tracks, it's 7264.24.
What's the machine worth? I'm with @rockcity Knock $4k off of the going rate, sell it with full disclosure, and get another.

Most of the ones I've seen for sale where $15K - $20K.....

At least if you fix this one, you know you are at 100% underneath, and that part should be problem-free for quite a while. Another machine, you might be in the same boat again.

How many hours have YOU put on it? Have you run it enough to be sure engine, pump, motors, etc are in good shape?

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've had it for over a year and put a few hundred hours on it. Everything works fine. It had a new hydraulic pump put on in the past and new planetaries. I just replaced 4 hydraulic hoses, the quick connects, and the bucket coupler. Once the undercarriage is back together, it'll be as close to new as it can be.

It's no fault of the previous owner. I even called to confirm that he never put tracks on it, so that's how I know they're from 2001.

I have no intentions of selling it and I don't buy stuff to turn around and get rid of it, unless I can make some money...not lose it. It's the only machine of its size that I've found recently and I gave 16,500 for it. Around the same time, MUCH smaller machines were going for 22-28k. As far as I can tell, they still are. So, if I sell this one for what I paid for it and get another one, I'll be out 6,000+ on another one that'll likely be smaller. Doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm thinking more like @kaiser715 here. I'll know what I have once I fix it and it should last me many more years.

I just figured yall might know of a good place to source some parts.

Back