Motorcycles

JSJJ388

GREEN GREMLIN
The itch has hit for me to get back on 2 wheels. Thought about a dirtbike, but for what people want for a good one I can get a motorcycle.

What are some of the good entry level bike out there for a good price? I'm not in a position to buy right now, but am putting away pennies and watching the market. I've always been partial to a Honda shadow, as it's what my stepdad had and what I learned on. But what are some other options in that style that you've ridden?

Also, what's the deal on getting a motorcycle endorsement in nc?

I don’t know if they still do them, but back in the day I took a motorcycle safety course, believe it was a weekend, let’s you omit the riding portion of test for endorsement and also gave me a discount on insurance from what I remember. I started out with a little ninja 250 then went to a CBR 600 then to a sportster 1200 and currently have a Heritage, I’m a smaller guy 5’5 so I always felt more comfortable on a smaller bike, but I’m getting used to the big boy

The itch has hit for me to get back on 2 wheels. Thought about a dirtbike, but for what people want for a good one I can get a motorcycle.

What are some of the good entry level bike out there for a good price? I'm not in a position to buy right now, but am putting away pennies and watching the market. I've always been partial to a Honda shadow, as it's what my stepdad had and what I learned on. But what are some other options in that style that you've ridden?

Also, what's the deal on getting a motorcycle endorsement in nc?
BMW S1000RR HP4 Race is a good starting point. It has enough technology to keep you safe ;)
1619548833684.png

But more realistically, any 300-500cc streetbike is a good starting point because you can get them dirt cheap, and if you drop it in a parking lot, it doesn't really affect the value. My first streetbike was a Kawasaki Ninja 500, and everything about it was simple and easy. I think I paid like $1400 for it, and sold it for $1800ish a couple years later.

Last edited:
BMW S1000RR HP4 Race is a good starting point. It has enough technology to keep you safe ;)
View attachment 344788

But more realistically, any 300-500cc streetbike is a good starting point because you can get them dirt cheap, and if you drop it in a parking lot, it doesn't really affect the value. My first streetbike was a Kawasaki Ninja 500, and everything about it was simple and easy. I think I paid like $1400 for it, and sold it for $1800ish a couple years later.
I would NOT trust myself on that

I've thought about a dual sport, especially to get started and cover both bases. Would probably be good as I've spent a lot of time on dirtbikes.

I've thought about a dual sport, especially to get started and cover both bases. Would probably be good as I've spent a lot of time on dirtbikes.
Initially, riding a DS on the road makes you feel like a kid breaking the law and riding a dirtbike on the streets. Good stuff. Plenty of good options in that market and if you decide to be goofy you can go full motard like @CasterTroy

you can go full motard like @CasterTroy
No...never point in that direction....because that's the path of high insurance rates and idiotic behavior!!!

NEVER EVER buy a motard!!!

wheelie4.jpgwheel3.jpgcmp43.jpgkart10.jpg

Any old standard makes a great all around bike. When I say standard I mean Nighthawk, Yamaha Seca, Old school CB750Four. I assume you're looking CHEAP right?

nighthawk.jpg

A dual sport is great as well. DR-z400 is a GREAT bike.

drz410.jpg

And just heavy enough to not loft the wheel in every gear to get you in trouble but it's easy to flick and rides smooth. It will be pricer than other DS but you can get the same money for it after riding it 5 years.

KLR is also a great options. Both making passing the riders test a breeze. And both lets you hop a curb and head across that field or yard to avoid getting a ticket....errr um I mean....have fun on fire roads.

I would discourage a small displacement cruiser or sportbike...as it'll just piss you off and make you wish you'd got a bigger bike in like 3 weeks. However, that's the smart path (small displacement to start).

Never owned a Hardley-ever-runs...for various reasons (POS, image, heavy, expensive)

Last bike I owned was a Yamaha Raider. 1/3 the cost of a harley and would stomp a hole in every one I ever twisted the throttle against

00k0k_hwPcwS3QZRl_600x450.jpg

Last edited:
I'd also recommend a dual sport, I've absolutely loved the ones I've had in the past. They're great on gas and fun as hell. I currently have a Triumph Bonneville Thruxton and its a blast, you can usually find Bonnevilles for not a lot of money and they're a fantastic all-around bike. I've had everything from DS to Harley touring bikes and it's a great time to be a motorcyclist, there is something out there for everyone! The bad thing about looking right now is that everyone has increased the price since it's prime riding season.

I would discourage a small displacement cruiser or sportbike...as it'll just piss you off and make you wish you'd got a bigger bike in like 3 weeks. However, that's the smart path (small displacement to start).

Never owned a Hardley-ever-runs...for various reasons (POS, image, heavy, expensive)
The ninja 250 I had I bought to “learn” on as well, get used to being in traffic on a smaller bike and such, it was when they introduced the newer style though so it looked like the 600’s just didn’t go like one, agree though, you’ll be ready to move up within a month.
Valid points on the HD as well, HD really stands for Hundred Dollars as in everything is gonna be at least $100, I had a screw puncture the tube in the rear tire of mine....I did all the labor as far as removing the rim/tire from the bike, took to HD for them to replace tube in it, $100....we now have our own tire changer and do that ourselves.....I like HD for the sound, that’s what I pay for and I’m ok with that :bounce2:

@CasterTroy imma have to disagree with you. When I rode the most fun I had was on a buddies ninja 250 on the parkway. It’s light enough to really throw into a corner at higher speeds than the bigger bikes.... but they’d run you down in the straights. That said it wasn’t long after that I decided I better not keep a bike as I was loosing all fear and I was smart enough to know that probably wasn’t the best in the long run.

Touring: Honda VFR 800
Adventure: Triumph Tiger 800
Sport: Triumph Daytona 675
Death Rocket: BMW S1000RR
Harley: Dyna FXR
Jap Harley: Yamaha Raider
All around: Yamaha FZ09.

If I ever decide again that I trust my right wrist, and everyone else on the road, a Triumph Daytona 675R is basically at the top of the list.

@CasterTroy imma have to disagree with you. When I rode the most fun I had was on a buddies ninja 250
You're feedback is lame and completely invalid....

it wasn’t long after that I decided I better not keep a bike
Because you are a quitter that didn't even stick with it long enough to have skin grafts nor insurance points.

Touring: Honda VFR 800
Adventure: Triumph Tiger 800
Sport: Triumph Daytona 675
Death Rocket: BMW S1000RR
Harley: Dyna FXR
Jap Harley: Yamaha Raider
Damn good list....and while I LOVED the Viffer....especially with the right pipes....I felt my Busa was a MUCH better touring bike...(I promise..not a flex....just really missing that Busa right now)

I loved the hell outta that Busa..and rode it from NC, to floriduh, and over to Mexico and back one year

packed1a.jpg

Just something about 90mph in 1st gear and instant torque in ANY gear while riding like a Cadillac that was so appealing. Only bike I ever regretted selling

Back