NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Around 2004 I saw the biggest buck I've ever seen in my life in the field on the left/north of the 90* turn, heading towards lake wheeler rd. on Mid Pines rd.There were about 40 deer in the field just after sundown. I stopped and turned about sideways in the road and shined my headlights on them. The bucks eyes were a foot higher than all of the rest. and he looked to be 36" wide.
God Bless Mid pines road. My buddies had the last house on the right before the fences start heading to the 90° turn. I don't think I have had as much fun or drank as much beer in one other place my entire life as I did that house. Got slung into that fence in the curve a few times sledding behind my buddies 4 runner too. Good thing RPD didn't venture out that way......

tell him to stay away from Penny Rd!!!!

so now everyone knows where the farm is that we hunt
Dang that's funny. We used to hunt pretty much all the land on old sorrell road, right off blaney franks Rd.

I've seen public hunting shows where they access by water & I've been thinking of picking up a kayak to do a little fishing without the hassle of trailer/boat parking, registration, etc. I might have to pull the trigger and get one for double duty!

I've heard this too. Look at aerials & maps to get ideas, but scout & follow the fresh sign(s) for your setup. I've talked to a guy in Lumberton who used to hunt the Butner game lands and swore the best hunting was behind people's houses as kids got home from school.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I don't want to ruin someone else's hunt and/or piss anybody off by not knowing where access & parking are....probably need to study the public maps & call a wildlife officer to make sure I'm not out of line. I've done duck hunting on public before, but was with people who've done it before so I could just follow their lead & ask questions before hand to not be as much of a newb. I'm hoping to move closer to my folks next year (i.e. - get away from jerk neighbors) and get some more land, but I'll keep the permit hunts in mind & definitely look into the archery only zones.

That settles it, I'll start looking at maps this weekend while I'm on-call (definitely won't answer the phone while in the stand) and start looking at saddles/climbing sticks & possibly picking up a kayak.

Is public deer hunting like public duck hunting? If you leave a stand out overnight & I show up first tomorrow morning its mine until I leave?

Didn’t do a final update cause we didn’t get in till midnight. I saw 6 deer last night only one came close to giving me a shot. Pulled my stand down at dark and moved it 30 yards. My buddy shot a doe at last light. Remember he was in a tree that if looking you could spot him from the main road through the gamelands. I’ll hunt wherever the sign is close or far but if the sign is close I won’t go looking for it deep.

We are doing a permit hunt right now. Suppose to be 8 people hunting it. So far it’s just us two.

I will say we have a slight advantage because my buddy works for wildlife but I had spots picked out to scout before I got down there and that’s where I’m hunting at

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

tell him to stay away from Penny Rd!!!!

so now everyone knows where the farm is that we hunt

It was more than a decade since he saw that buck.He obeys the laws and only hunts w a bow.But he had his bow in his truck and said if that bigun would tryed to cross over the road he would have tried to stick him.A year or 2 ago I drove the new roads at old mill trace and snooped around.I found lot's of sign of big bucks but I never hunted there.

I've seen public hunting shows where they access by water & I've been thinking of picking up a kayak to do a little fishing without the hassle of trailer/boat parking, registration, etc. I might have to pull the trigger and get one for double duty!

I've heard this too. Look at aerials & maps to get ideas, but scout & follow the fresh sign(s) for your setup. I've talked to a guy in Lumberton who used to hunt the Butner game lands and swore the best hunting was behind people's houses as kids got home from school.

I'm probably over thinking it, but I don't want to ruin someone else's hunt and/or piss anybody off by not knowing where access & parking are....probably need to study the public maps & call a wildlife officer to make sure I'm not out of line. I've done duck hunting on public before, but was with people who've done it before so I could just follow their lead & ask questions before hand to not be as much of a newb. I'm hoping to move closer to my folks next year (i.e. - get away from jerk neighbors) and get some more land, but I'll keep the permit hunts in mind & definitely look into the archery only zones.

That settles it, I'll start looking at maps this weekend while I'm on-call (definitely won't answer the phone while in the stand) and start looking at saddles/climbing sticks & possibly picking up a kayak.

Is public deer hunting like public duck hunting? If you leave a stand out overnight & I show up first tomorrow morning its mine until I leave?

If you look at google maps you can see where the hardwoods are on the gamelands. If you look at GIS maps you can see topo maps.2 good tools to find good places to access and hunt.As for game land etiquette there is none in most hunters in my opinion.I've been burned many times over the years and now I only hunt remote, hard to get to places w my boat.I've have not seen anybody else for many years.

If you look at google maps you can see where the hardwoods are on the gamelands. If you look at GIS maps you can see topo maps.2 good tools to find good places to access and hunt.As for game land etiquette there is none in most hunters in my opinion.I've been burned many times over the years and now I only hunt remote, hard to get to places w my boat.I've have not seen anybody else for many years.

I’ll agree that sometimes the best places need to have something to turn the weekend hunter away, long hike, boat ride in, deep river or steep ridges/cliffs or pieces that don’t look like they have access.

A favorite spot of mine in the mountains you have to cross a waist deep creek and then climb a 15ft near vertical bank on the other side but at the top of the bank wildlife has food plots. They access the property through some private but you can’t access the same place they do.

My current work schedule has gotten in the way of my morning and evening hunts this week. Have any of you guys just done a midday hunt? I know it’s not the best time with 80 degree temps. They get sluggish in the heat especially if they’ve already started the winter coat. I just want to hit the woods. Either way, you can’t kill anything from your living room. I think I’m gonna hunt from around 10 or 11 to 2. See what happens. I’ve got a climber on a water source. Supposedly they hang near water and low areas where it’s cooler when temps are up. We’ll see.

My current work schedule has gotten in the way of my morning and evening hunts this week. Have any of you guys just done a midday hunt? I know it’s not the best time with 80 degree temps. They get sluggish in the heat especially if they’ve already started the winter coat. I just want to hit the woods. Either way, you can’t kill anything from your living room. I think I’m gonna hunt from around 10 or 11 to 2. See what happens. I’ve got a climber on a water source. Supposedly they hang near water and low areas where it’s cooler when temps are up. We’ll see.

I didn’t see a deer yesterday until 11:45 and they were still there when I climbed down at 1

Either way, you can’t kill anything from your living room.

Fake News!

Exhibit A, from my living room
20200606_195504.jpg

Thanks fellas. I’m heading to the woods shortly.
Good choice! Be sure to carry some snacks a magazine and a piss bottle! I've seen lots of nice bucks in the middle of the day. They seem to bed down around mid morning and get back up around mid day to stretch their legs, grab a bite to eat and drink. Just have to be careful not to push them off the bed getting in there.

Good choice! Be sure to carry some snacks a magazine and a piss bottle! I've seen lots of nice bucks in the middle of the day. They seem to bed down around mid morning and get back up around mid day to stretch their legs, grab a bite to eat and drink. Just have to be careful not to push them off the bed getting in there.
The spot I’m hunting I can reach without disturbing much. It’s off of an old logging road about 25 yards into the wood line. It overlooks a deep cut with a flowing creek. Only bad part is you’ve got to climb high or you’re looking straight into the opposite hillside.

Spike down. Had to get the first deer of the year off my back. 11:45 at 17 yards with a bite of sandwich in my mouth. Heart shot and took our opposite shoulder. Full pass through. Not a drop of blood on the ground but that don’t matter when they go less than 20 yards. Single bevels and heavy arrows for the win.

It was more than a decade since he saw that buck.He obeys the laws and only hunts w a bow.But he had his bow in his truck and said if that bigun would tryed to cross over the road he would have tried to stick him.A year or 2 ago I drove the new roads at old mill trace and snooped around.I found lot's of sign of big bucks but I never hunted there.

we normally end up with 15-20 different racked bucks on camera in the area, and it’s not a very big piece of land

I’ll go back and walk it off, but I think around 45 yards. I wouldn’t stick a deer on that tree line, it’s out of range. Based on some early observations, most traffic will be coming from directly behind me.

Small update, I went and walked it off this morning. 41 yards from my stand to the far edge (where the sxs is).

6494FC2D-897C-4A7B-8B4D-F9D32F461797.jpeg

That’s a good looking spot. Be a great food plot. Plant a mix of stuff that will come up all year.

This is the first time planting it, so it has clover and ryegrass with maybe a hint of radish. Tough to get equipment in there, so we’ll see how it turns out. I did not fertilize this time Unfortunately, but the other 3 fields got fertilized.

I snapped a few pics of our 3 other fields as well. Two fields are in one giant cut over (hunted from the same stand). This is just our second season owning the land, so still have a long way to go.
93F48919-B489-4C05-95A7-871287E7A959.jpeg
79B0F849-AD2E-49DC-85B9-6D11A268CB83.jpeg
38CA6ABD-977E-49BE-988C-5B5C1E027750.jpeg

This is the first time planting it, so it has clover and ryegrass with maybe a hint of radish. Tough to get equipment in there, so we’ll see how it turns out. I did not fertilize this time Unfortunately, but the other 3 fields got fertilized.

I snapped a few pics of our 3 other fields as well. Two fields are in one giant cut over (hunted from the same stand). This is just our second season owning the land, so still have a long way to go. View attachment 329060View attachment 329061View attachment 329062
How many acres you got?

there are some monsters growing in the area
A lady I work with owns a few acres in the Raleigh city limits and always complains of deer eating her vegetable garden. I've offered to thin the herd during urban archery, but she's an animal activist and her eyes bugged out of her head when I mentioned it!

As for game land etiquette there is none in most hunters in my opinion.I've been burned many times over the years and now I only hunt remote, hard to get to places w my boat.I've have not seen anybody else for many years.
Well I don't want to join those ranks! If you ever see a tall goofy sasquatch looking dude feel free to take a pic & call me out!

Either way, you can’t kill anything from your living room
Disagree! I've got a persimmon tree, feeder, water hole & mineral site 40-50 yards from my back door. When muzzle loader season comes in I plan on hunting from my bedroom window!

Fake News!

Exhibit A, from my living room
View attachment 329039
Exhibit B: bedroom window, yesterday @ 8am. Only 2 fawns...not as impressive as @awheelterd !
20201022_080318.jpg

A lady I work with owns a few acres in the Raleigh city limits and always complains of deer eating her vegetable garden. I've offered to thin the herd during urban archery, but she's an animal activist and her eyes bugged out of her head when I mentioned it!

Well I don't want to join those ranks! If you ever see a tall goofy sasquatch looking dude feel free to take a pic & call me out!

Disagree! I've got a persimmon tree, feeder, water hole & mineral site 40-50 yards from my back door. When muzzle loader season comes in I plan on hunting from my bedroom window!

Exhibit B: bedroom window, yesterday @ 8am. Only 2 fawns...not as impressive as @awheelterd !
View attachment 329084

I've killed 3 deer in 2 different backyards in 30 years. I don't consider it hunting, it's too easy and not as satisfying as taking one deep in the woods.That said, if a huge buck struts up in my backyard I'm gonna have some backstraps and might put it on the wall.

Back