NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

2EA5F737-E7B4-489D-9B62-95B9B9A5A554.jpeg

Fellas, it's frickin cold.

I’ve got a stupid amount of layers on. Be easier to just piss in my pants when the time comes.
It was colder than I anticipated. I've got on layers, but my dumbass put my workbooks on out of habit.

As I'm sitting here thawing out in the sun watching the squirrels play, I'm thinking about next year already. I'd really like to get back to bow hunting. I was a good shot when I was shooting regularly but that's been at least 8 years ago. I have a browning micro adrenaline that has served me well I guess, but needs a good tune up. No idea where my arrows or release are. The browning is a tad short on the draw, about an inch. Wondering if I should just start from scratch or tune up the browning and use it a couple years.

As I'm sitting here thawing out in the sun watching the squirrels play, I'm thinking about next year already. I'd really like to get back to bow hunting. I was a good shot when I was shooting regularly but that's been at least 8 years ago. I have a browning micro adrenaline that has served me well I guess, but needs a good tune up. No idea where my arrows or release are. The browning is a tad short on the draw, about an inch. Wondering if I should just start from scratch or tune up the browning and use it a couple years.
I’d suggest getting back into archery with what you have. Upgrade later if you’re committed. You could get an inch more draw between your release and a d loop adjustment.

X2 on running the old bow. You can be $2500 or more into a slick bow with nothing these days. Tune old girl up and get in the woods.

I’d suggest getting back into archery with what you have. Upgrade later if you’re committed. You could get an inch more draw between your release and a d loop adjustment.
Yup. I ran a too short martin for a long time by stretching my release out to the very end. I would hit the trigger with the tip of my finger. Worked like a charm

I’d go with the old bow first. I did the same thing about 2 years ago. Had an old Hoyt Bear that wasn’t touched for about 10 years…decided I ‘needed’ a new Matthews…went all in on it, decided to have the Hoyt tuned up…and guess which bow I reach for most frequently. I think it’s primarily due to familiarity and comfort with the Hoyt…but the point remains.

No exaggeration, I’ve had the chance to kill probably 20 doe so far. Been letting them walk, but times a getting short. Might have to stack a few myself.
I don't really want to kill does up in the mountains not a ton of deer anyways. That was first hunt on the farm we hunt down here. so it was time. We only killed 7 deer off around 900 acres last year and there plenty of does down here.

I don't really want to kill does up in the mountains not a ton of deer anyways. That was first hunt on the farm we hunt down here. so it was time. We only killed 7 deer off around 900 acres last year and there plenty of does down here.
I only shoot does where I can drive right up and get them. To heck with dragging them half a mile

I only shoot does where I can drive right up and get them. To heck with dragging them half a mile
I watched a string of 7-8 make their way across the bean field from one cut over to the next. Sitting in the box blind sipping my coffee thinking if I shot and they go in cut over that's gonna be alot of work and I don't feel like working on Sunday. Never picked the gun up

If beans would have been cut and I could drive to edge of cut over I probably would have shot

I connected on a couple this weekend. The spike was yesterday with a .30-06, it was a long shot, and the deer ran off, I was afraid I had missed. I decided to go change into lighted clothes incase I had to track it for a while. Changed clothes and took my buddies range finder with me. It is a golf range finder so I am not sure how accurate it is but it said 144 yards :eek:. Well I got to the spot where he was standing started doing my usual circles looking for hair and blood, I look up in the woods about 40 yards and saw a white belly.

Attachments

• C4797E42-EECC-45FC-A7A9-918E85343B9C.jpeg
    C4797E42-EECC-45FC-A7A9-918E85343B9C.jpeg
    375.6 KB · Views: 55
And then today in the frigid cold I get this boy with trusty double barrel 12ga :D

Attachments

• FF5A1078-0C10-4F54-8B5B-EE4F5201DE32.jpeg
    FF5A1078-0C10-4F54-8B5B-EE4F5201DE32.jpeg
    348.8 KB · Views: 66
  • 2F21B400-80BA-41FB-94BD-78A0EAFF901D.jpeg
    2F21B400-80BA-41FB-94BD-78A0EAFF901D.jpeg
    406.8 KB · Views: 67
  • 58F1F959-7628-4186-884A-59DBB9C58E4B.jpeg
    58F1F959-7628-4186-884A-59DBB9C58E4B.jpeg
    386.1 KB · Views: 65
While I was at the GTG yesterday evening my wife got a nice little Moore county buck. Her fire power of choice: 2012 Ram 2500. When she pulled over and got to the deer it was still alive so she used her carry knife to slit its throat/ carotid as she didn’t have a gun with her. She loaded it up got it home and gutted/ hung it by herself. She checked all the internals and nothing was ruptured. The one hind quarter looks a little dark but we will just turn it to hamburger. She has made it very clear she is going to do all the processing on her own too. I’m very proud of her. It makes me so mad that so many deer go to waste on the side of the road. There’s almost alway at least some parts that can be used instead of left to rot.
824E5FE4-25C4-4278-A623-8B34022990ED.jpeg
D4063FC7-9CAE-4A1A-AE02-910ECBE2429C.jpeg

While I was at the GTG yesterday evening my wife got a nice little Moore county buck. Her fire power of choice: 2012 Ram 2500. When she pulled over and got to the deer it was still alive so she used her carry knife to slit its throat/ carotid as she didn’t have a gun with her. She loaded it up got it home and gutted/ hung it by herself. She checked all the internals and nothing was ruptured. The one hind quarter looks a little dark but we will just turn it to hamburger. She has made it very clear she is going to do all the processing on her own too. I’m very proud of her. It makes me so mad that so many deer go to waste on the side of the road. There’s almost alway at least some parts that can be used instead of left to rot. View attachment 385650View attachment 385651
Did it mess up the truck?

A little dent in the bumper right above the driver side tow hook. She saw the deer coming from the field and was laying on the brakes to stop it but it wasn’t enough to avoid as there was oncoming traffic and she had no where to go for evasion space.
I hit one years ago in my wife’s Honda Accord. Same situation. Saw it coming, got on the brakes, barely tapped it. It threw all the body lines off on that car. That little tap jacked it up. It was apparently made to disintegrate in a real crash. Doe was still alive but hurt pretty good. I ended it with my pistol.

Back