NC4X4 Hunting and Fishing

Shot this old funky buck. It's been a rough 3 day permit hunt, he stepped out at 300 yards long enough to range him and get gun up and shoot and he dropped. Packed him out in one trip about 3/4 mile to the truck up hill almost the whole way.
DO NOT RECOMMEND for fat guys

Attachments

• 20231111_104202.jpg
    20231111_104202.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 88
  • 20231111_125220.jpg
    20231111_125220.jpg
    358.3 KB · Views: 84
They were moving this weekend. I passed on decent bucks morning and evening. Either I'm becoming a more discerning hunter or I'm just getting lazier and didn't want to clean dear in the cold drizzle.

Yea I've noticed that for me as well. It's a lot of work to go from deer to dinner.

Had three does in the field Saturday morning in the drizzle. Another one came in and ran them off. At first I thought it was a mature doe, but it turned and walked through the hedgerow and I could see it was a spike running does. Hunted again this morning before work, no deer but a good cold morning.

What do you do when you get off work early in the rut? You hunt!

20231113_164614.jpg

Do any of you bowhunters use anything other than a compound?

Do any of you bowhunters use anything other than a compound?

I just bought a crossbow, but its for my boys to start on.

You guys that hunt after work. If you are in an industry where you will smell from a shop atmosphere, what are you doing before you hit the stand? I want to start going otw home from work. Normally i just hunt weekends.

You guys that hunt after work. If you are in an industry where you will smell from a shop atmosphere, what are you doing before you hit the stand? I want to start going otw home from work. Normally i just hunt weekends.
I use dead down wind. But I just hunt the wind best I can.

Try and play the wind if possible, or throw your hunting clothes in something sealable and put it in the truck. Change before you hit the woods. I use the detergent and spray, but them bastards will still smell you. It’s impossible. Get up high and play the winds as best you can.

If the temps are 50/40 etc. that night Ill hang a gutted carcass high of the ground and wrap it w a tarp. If the temps stay cool I'll hang it for days maybe 4 or 5. The best tender and tasting deer I've eat this way.

I use dead down wind. But I just hunt the wind best I can.

Try and play the wind if possible, or throw your hunting clothes in something sealable and put it in the truck. Change before you hit the woods. I use the detergent and spray, but them bastards will still smell you. It’s impossible. Get up high and play the winds as best you can.

All good stuff and appreciated. I was afraid of hearing the wind scenario, even though i know it's important. My stand is where it is. The one thing i have going for me is that I'm not really remote. I figure they are used to smelling people, to a certain extent.

I will have my hunting clothes packed up to change into, for sure.

If the temps are 50/40 etc. that night Ill hang a gutted carcass high of the ground and wrap it w a tarp. If the temps stay cool I'll hang it for days maybe 4 or 5. The best tender and tasting deer I've eat this way.
My shop fridge is 36 degrees. I usually quarter one out and leave it in there 6-7 days. You loose a little meat cutting the dried layer off hut it's worth it

Deer cross the road when a car is coming. I think y’all worry too much…

In my yard a few minutes ago. Not a huge buck, but taste just as good. I didn't shoot it, just thought it was kinda funny. I just don't get excited about deer hunting like I used to. Opening day of dove season is my favorite day of the year. Just because that's what me and my daddy always did before he died when I was 15.
20231113_213537.jpg

My Uncle that owned most of the land we hunted on had an old tobacco barn that hadn't had leaf in it in decades.
The door stayed open to keep it aired out until deer season and then it would stay around 40 degrees ....... let'em hang for days!

All good stuff and appreciated. I was afraid of hearing the wind scenario, even though i know it's important. My stand is where it is. The one thing i have going for me is that I'm not really remote. I figure they are used to smelling people, to a certain extent.

I will have my hunting clothes packed up to change into, for sure.
Don’t worry about it. I hunt all the time with the wind not in my favor. Get in the woods and enjoy it. You can’t kill one from the couch, so just being out there gives you a shot. Good luck and post a pic when you drop one.

Deer cross the road when a car is coming. I think y’all worry too much…
Truth. There's been times when I'm running my excavator, smoking like a chimney, and burning brush, that I could almost club them over the head they walk so close. I think the hunter ninja aspect is a little over emphasized.

Last edited:
Truth. There's been times when I'm running my excavator, smoking like a chimney, and burning brush, that I could almost club them over the head they walk so close. I think the hunter ninja aspect is a little over emphasized.
I do agree, they will come thru anyway. I think the main thing is to not have there senses heightened while you are trying to get into shooting position. If they don't think anything strange is going on, it's a lot easier to not be seen.

Are any of y'all planting your own food plots? I'm doing some research for spring. The innernets seems to suggest you can't plant a couple acres of clover and brassicas without a sprayer, spreader, disc harrow, and cultipacker.

Are any of y'all planting your own food plots? I'm doing some research for spring. The innernets seems to suggest you can't plant a couple acres of clover and brassicas without a sprayer, spreader, disc harrow, and cultipacker.
You can, people did it for thousands of years. But implements and machinery make it much more enjoyable.

Oats and clover will take off without actually planting. I’ve started with a fairly bare area and dragged a plugger around behind the mower, lime, fertilizer and seed. Last yr it was great, this year is awful due to the lack of rain down here. Thought all my clover would be toast but I’d say 70% is still alive. One half I actually dragged a pulverizer behind the tractor, Cleaned & prepped that area up nicely.

Back