New life of a 72 Jeep Commando

Yeap and a couple Jeepsters šŸ™„ šŸ¤£
Here's a Jeepster for ya!
1643223959491.png

Attachments

• 1643223873287.png
    1643223873287.png
    626.2 KB · Views: 98
It took a while but I got the engine running. I had two gremlins that I needed to work out. The first was the run on issue for the MSD system. And the other was the transmission would not shift.

The MSD issue required a big old style diode. It took a call to Holley to get it figured out, but once it was wired right it completely took care of the problem!

The shift issue was a vacuum leak on the transmission actuator. So put a new piece of hose on it and everything started working.

At this point I just needed to figure out the valve tapping.

It took a while but I got the engine running. I had two gremlins that I needed to work out. The first was the run on issue for the MSD system. And the other was the transmission would not shift.

The MSD issue required a big old style diode. It took a call to Holley to get it figured out, but once it was wired right it completely took care of the problem!

The shift issue was a vacuum leak on the transmission actuator. So put a new piece of hose on it and everything started working.

At this point I just needed to figure out the valve tapping.
I had that same run on issue with my old CJ5 when I put the MSD on it. Mine took a tiny little white diode with black stripe on the white wire coming off the alternator.

Funny how I can remember that from 20 years ago, but donā€™t recall what I had for lunch 2 days ago. šŸ˜

I had that same run on issue with my old CJ5 when I put the MSD on it. Mine took a tiny little white diode with black stripe on the white wire coming off the alternator.

Funny how I can remember that from 20 years ago, but donā€™t recall what I had for lunch 2 days ago. šŸ˜
Oddly, I remember when this happened to yours (20 years ago) and knew what to do when it happened to mine (don't recall if it was when doing the electronic ignition 18 years ago or TBI swap 12 years ago), but immediately knew the cause, grabbed the diode, and all was good...

Also, can't remember what I ate yesterday šŸ¤£

Finally found a set of rockers, nuts, and pivots. I found that this year was one of a few that they did a different setup on the rocker studs in jeeps. The Jeep runs like a sewing machine now! Well a sewing machine with flowmastersā€¦

Bringing this thread up to date finally. I am forever on the hunt for a ā€œbetter bodyā€ (arnt we all hahaha). Last week one popped up on a nc farm equipment page for sale. The guy had two and was going to crush them. Luckily I was the first person to contact the guy and was able to grab the better of the two (my 24ā€™ trailer wouldnā€™t fit both otherwise I would have brought both home for $1000). I ran down around Highpoint and grabbed this thing for $700 and I have to say it is better than my tub, but not by a huge amount. What is great is the tailgate and rear hatch are in great shape! Also this gives me a ton of spare parts, and a top that I can make a safari top from if I feel so inclined. Other than that I havenā€™t really spent much time looking it over.

I will say I absolutely am loving the fact that I put a rear 12k winch on my flatbed. This thing had seized front brakes and I drug her right up on the trailer.

I will take stock of this Jeep in a week or two when I finish my cutting table/draft hood for the shop. If you want to check that out itā€™s on my Instagram @hammeredpigironworks

Attachments

• FBB56CC0-C51E-46B9-89D8-43D5271D4B43.jpeg
    FBB56CC0-C51E-46B9-89D8-43D5271D4B43.jpeg
    280.6 KB · Views: 109
  • 5649DC46-2E21-4A55-BE17-790323180410.jpeg
    5649DC46-2E21-4A55-BE17-790323180410.jpeg
    298.7 KB · Views: 109
A few weeks ago the th400 (that had been leaking a little) developed a major leak. I didnā€™t have time to work on it till the other day. You know one of the hottest days of the year. Ended up discovering that the last time I checked the trans fluid that I pulled the dip stick tube out of the case.

Now I know that when you re seal a th400 you should put new o rings in it tooā€¦ now the tube and the vacuum actuator have new o rings. I even Teflon taped my drain plug! Looking good so far.

Also I just started my house so the Jeep is on the back burner for quite some time

Back