Post up your weekend project!!

I tried to find a picture of the before but evidently I didn't take one. You'll just have to imagine them not there.

These columns don't support weight. They're just decorative but I think they came out all right.

View attachment 289661

View attachment 289662

Also, not pictured, I pressure washed the wicker furniture. Then I primed and painted it. So that's done too. The next project for the Mrs is to redo the deck railing with new balusters.

Might as well make the columns the same up top too while you're at it!

Bought a 40ft hi-cube container for storage of my tractor, and to keep my shop clutter down.

20190404_154540.jpg 20190404_154642.jpg

Needed shelving

Thought about used pallet racks down one side. 36" or maybe 42" But the only thing that came in less than 12ft high was 36" with 9ft beams.

Asked around and found forsyth mechanical in Winston was closing up shop. Owner is 73 and ready to chill. Apparently he had butt-tons of "shelving" from renovation of all the JC penny stores across the country.

36", 30", 24" , 15" and 12" and all are 48" sections. Most 12ft tall but WOOD, so they can be easily cut.

I scored 145 shelves that are 48" wide and 30" deep with 10ft uprights.

20190405_150322.jpg

20190406_094950.jpg

I had to cut 12" off the bottom, and relocate the bottom support on all the uprights

20190406_094923.jpg

Started lining one side with shelving only at the supports for now

20190406_094942.jpg

But the uprights have anchor points for shelving every 1-1/2" so your shelving options are nearly limitless

20190406_095904.jpg

It took all day saturday, but I finally got all the uprights set, and shelves on every support beam

20190407_164206.jpg

And then saturday night I see the gardening tool organizer thread and decide now's the time to get THAT organized as well

20190407_164156.jpg

and room for the tractor

20190407_170900.jpg

Bought a 40ft hi-cube container for storage of my tractor, and to keep my shop clutter down.

View attachment 290338 View attachment 290339

Needed shelving

Thought about used pallet racks down one side. 36" or maybe 42" But the only thing that came in less than 12ft high was 36" with 9ft beams.

Asked around and found forsyth mechanical in Winston was closing up shop. Owner is 73 and ready to chill. Apparently he had butt-tons of "shelving" from renovation of all the JC penny stores across the country.

36", 30", 24" , 15" and 12" and all are 48" sections. Most 12ft tall but WOOD, so they can be easily cut.

I scored 145 shelves that are 48" wide and 30" deep with 10ft uprights.

View attachment 290340

View attachment 290341

I had to cut 12" off the bottom, and relocate the bottom support on all the uprights

View attachment 290342

Started lining one side with shelving only at the supports for now

View attachment 290344

But the uprights have anchor points for shelving every 1-1/2" so your shelving options are nearly limitless

View attachment 290345

It took all day saturday, but I finally got all the uprights set, and shelves on every support beam

View attachment 290347

And then saturday night I see the gardening tool organizer thread and decide now's the time to get THAT organized as well

View attachment 290348

and room for the tractor

View attachment 290349
Damn nice setup you got there

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Im sure the ducks will love the batten you put on that box.

Is that a squirrel shield on the post?

I hadn’t intended to do a board and batten box but who doesn’t like a little style? Even ducks!

Really, the cypress and cedar boards were only available in 5.5” widths, so the batten, naturally, provides some additional barrier from the elements and looks good at the same time. :D

Yes, that is a rodent shield to keep pesky rodents out and away from the chicks.

I hadn’t intended to do a board and batten box but who doesn’t like a little style? Even ducks!

Really, the cypress and cedar boards were only available in 5.5” widths, so the batten, naturally, provides some additional barrier from the elements and looks good at the same time. :D

Yes, that is a rodent shield to keep pesky rodents out and away from the chicks.

Box looks good. Just busting your chops a little. I really like the pic having the 2 storage units, I mean buggies, in the background.

I see them for squirrels mostly, didnt know if there were other animals in the swamp that it worked for.

Box looks good. Just busting your chops a little. I really like the pic having the 2 storage units, I mean buggies, in the background.

I see them for squirrels mostly, didnt know if there were other animals in the swamp that it worked for.
They're mainly for snakes on bird boxes I believe.

I really like the pic having the 2 storage units, I mean buggies, in the background.

Ha! I saw all the storage the buggies are being used for after I posted it. Actually they appear cluttered because my miter saw and table saw were tucked away pretty good and I had to move a lot of stuff to get to them. :lol:

#needmoregarage

Nah, just better storage (see weekend project above yours :cool:)

Lol. I already have 2’ deep multi level shelves on all walls up to the ceiling, a full size and width sheet of plywood shelf above the garage door, and kayaks and 40’ extension ladder hanging from the ceiling. Oh and a work 2’ work bench, 10’ long with 15’ long, 2’ deep shelving above it. I’d say I have at least 300 sq ft of shelving just in the garage. You can even see some of the shelving on the back wall of the garage.

It’s a complete mess. Way too much crap in too small of a space.

Lol. I already have 2’ deep multi level shelves on all walls up to the ceiling, a full size and width sheet of plywood shelf above the garage door, and kayaks and 40’ extension ladder hanging from the ceiling. Oh and a work 2’ work bench, 10’ long with 15’ long, 2’ deep shelving above it. I’d say I have at least 300 sq ft of shelving just in the garage. You can even see some of the shelving on the back wall of the garage.

It’s a complete mess. Way too much crap in too small of a space.

Im guessing you are rectifying that at the new property?

Took a break from my moms house and got good jump on cleaning out a bay in the farm shop for the lift I scored a few weeks back. 4 of the 5 bays have primarily been storage for the better part of a decade and getting the lift lit a bit of a fire under my FIL to finally let me start scrapping stuff and organizing the shop. Taking it one bay at a time. There is everything from old tires to a Cessna 150 in there.

Last edited:
Took a break from my moms house and got good jump on cleaning out a bay in the farm shop for the lift I scored a few weeks back. 4 of the 5 bays have primarily been storage for the better part of a decade and getting the lift lit a bit of a fire under my FIL to finally let me start scrapping stuff and organizing the shop. Taking it one bay at a time. There is everything from old tires to a Cessna 150 in there.

Your FIL sounds like my grandpa! He's finally given us the green light to start getting rid of stuff in his barn/hanger. That's how I got the C30 & my brother is working on seeing what it'll take to get a '46 Cessna 120 taildragger back in the air. Probably has 2 trailer loads of old tires on his property and who knows what else we'll find.

Back