Project Zucoma

Benji

Web Wheeler
I've been here for a while, but i have never posted a build thread... So i guess i'll start one now.. There will be alot of pics to start with to get ya caught up to speed over the past 4 years... I started out with a stock Suzuki Samurai and have been transforming it into a fun low budget rig. So lets get started.

Started off as a 1988 samurai. i wheeled it for about a month on the street tires with a welded rear and had the time of my life!
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_zuki2.jpg

I wanted more.. so the first build was the typical zuk build. Yota's, 5.1 t-case gears, and YJ spring swap.. It sat on 35" tsl's.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_zuki2_2.jpg

After a few flops i decided it was time for some head protection..
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_zuk5.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_zuk4.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_zuk6.jpg

I wheeled it like this for another year or so. I was at harlan and was having a difficult time with the climbs with the short 80 something wheelbase so i decided it was time for a change. So i added XJ leaves to the front and stretched the frame rails and ended up with around a 100" wheelbase and built a tube front clip.. Man that made a huge difference.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_utf_8BSU1HMDAwNDItMjAxMDA4MjktMjEzNC5qcGc.jpg

ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_utf_8BSU1HMDAwMTAtMjAxMDEwMjktMTgxNC5qcGc.jpg

i wheeled it in that form for a few more years..

Now we get to the part of why i haved name it ZUCOMA... I burnt up more clutches with that 1.3l because it just didn't have the power i needed. i couldn't turn the tires in low range if i got out of 1st gear.. so i decided it was time to swap motors....

Here are the plans:
2000 Tacoma 2.7L (3rz)
Stand alone wire harness built by 12voltunlimited.com (awesome customer service and fast 2 week turn around. Top notch work for a low low price!)
w56 trans with a w59 tacoma bell housing
dual toyota cases with 4.7 gears in rear case
rear dovetail
39.5" irocks on DIY beadlocks..
and so it has begun...

The rear dovetail
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_IMG_20130310_184539_zps1bdcdd6f.jpg

Motor getting lined up
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_IMG_20130310_184427_zpsccee34c8.jpg

Big hole cut in the floor to fit the long yota drivetrain
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_IMG_20130310_184458_zps1a8d2140.jpg

Here is the stand alone harness. He cut it down to the bare minimum, added fuses and relays where needed, cleaned it up, and labeled everything. very pleased with his work!
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_IMG_20130324_141850_zps2c66dda9.jpg

My trans and t-case mounts from rock4xfabrication finished welded tonight. Added a coat of paint also
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_IMG_20130324_190844_zps7677a345.jpg

That is a far as i've made it as of today. it should start moving along quickly now! I'm gonna do my best to have it wheelable by may!

The wheels and tires are mounted.. also sorry about the cell phone pics.. its the only camera i own...
attachment.php

.. also sorry about the cell phone pics.. its the only camera i own...

I cant even see those at work, but a sami on 39.5's and 100" wheelbase sounds fun.

Got my 4.7 case put back together. She ought to dig now! Also got the clutch master and slave cylinder lines plumed. Little by little she will come together!

Sent from my Obama phone....

I was trying to figure out my seating and after reading this thread on pirate of this Tracker build,i think i may put some rzr seats in it. This guy says that he loves them! I was worried that they would be uncomfortable, but he says no. I found a few on craigslist that imma take a look at this weekend for about $100, maybe go by a delarship and sit in a set just to make sure.
attachment.php

Well ive got a few updates. Even though the trans is busted I can still use it for mock up.

Motor and all gear boxes are mounted.
uploadfromtaptalk1364860944558.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1364860991312.jpg

Here is a closer look at the tcase mounts.
uploadfromtaptalk1364861042874.jpg

Also built my fuel lines. Braided ss lines with -6an fittings. Using an external warlbro pump 190lph which is close to factory Toyota pressure.
uploadfromtaptalk1364861088461.jpg

Up next comes the wiring hookups and exhaust...

Sent from my Obama phone...

Wiring wiring wiring.... that is all I've been doing for 2 days... sounds fun doesn't it...:handed:
Got the motor harness all back on and Ecu mounted in the passenger compartment to the firewall. Strap is just holding it down so it doesn't flap.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_ecu_zps6b01dc9c.jpg

Last edited:
The Taurus fan wiring is a monster.. finally got it figured out. Its got a temp sensor that turns the fan on low at 182 degrees. Then at 195 I get a warning light on the dash and I have a toggle that will ground out and turn it to high. I could have added amother temp switch fir this but I had to cut some cost somewhere. Those things are not cheap! This bitch draws 45 continuous amps... thats alot for an e-fan so I had to build the relay system to hold it. It takes up alot of space.. but I shouldn't have to worry about it now!
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_fan_zps689c3186.jpg
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_fan2_zps0817c560.jpg

Also wired up my efi relay. It has a safety cutoff toggle in the cab in the cab.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_efi_zps1fad6de7.jpg

Last edited:
Here are the switches. I got a smoking deal on them at $5 ea. Apparently the website had a glitch and i took advantage of it. Tried to go back later and order some more when I realized it but it had been fixed. The Zuk had factory knock outs on the dash that fit them perfectly. They turned out slick. The e-fan switch looks bigger, but its just not snapped into place yet. I need to make sure it all works right before i snap it into place.
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_switch_zps42262e0f.jpg
ai44.photobucket.com_albums_f36_benji51288_switch2_zpscef1f7c7.jpg
I still have a little wiring to wrap up. Going to go back and loom all of the loose wiring to clean it up a bit, but most of it is done. Just some small stuff left like wiring up the marine amp for my stereo and wiring up the lights right. I can see the light at the end of the tunnel though..

Last edited:
Got the highly modified Tacoma rock ripper intake put on. Its a tight squeeze. The fawkin filter is huge...
uploadfromtaptalk1366503378604.jpg

Primed the motor up and spun it over a few times. Hit the fuel pump switch and wappooowww the damn full pump burnt up. I knew there was a little water in the tank, less than a gallon, and i had the pump hooked up so that it would pump it out into a bean can. Apparently they don't like a fuel water mix....:rolleyes:

the pump still runs but has no suction at all. Its a walbro inline pump... $160 down the drain...

Sent from my Obama phone....

Sucks the fuel pump gave up the ghost. Can u get it warrentied?

Btw. Everything u have probably read about the power of a 3rz is true. It's amazing.

Back