Race Ghost

Brace that link mount down the truss, sideways on the truss and every which way you can. There will be a ton of forces applied to it.
There will be lots of bracing. It actually just siting on top the truss and the body side is only clamped to the cross member. Plan is to mock stuff up and see where I can get things in place before welding.

There will be lots of bracing. It actually just siting on top the truss and the body side is only clamped to the cross member. Plan is to mock stuff up and see where I can get things in place before welding.
If you can get a taller tower, french it into the truss. That'll be insanely stout!
Glad you're making progress on it buddy

Got some work done today. Nothing worked to separate the top ball joint from the c.
5F84FFE8-AD33-4E52-AAF1-38EFB44397E8.jpeg

C5A0C565-F13A-4E9F-A6BE-58C71EA3AA7F.jpeg

Finally decided to cut it. Will work on getting it out this week. Currently soaking in pb blaster and ATF.

E1A08013-8645-4B94-AD4A-75D84BC046F9.jpeg

@XJsavage burnt some rods and made me some bead locks. Slowly moving forward. Cannot thank @XJsavage enough for making the drive out and helping out.

Last edited:
I left you a donation to your scrap metal collection. šŸ˜‚ Thanks again for lunch. That place is AWESOME! I'll see ya again soon.
Definitely wanna go run that Edisto river stretch with you one day
IMG_20210613_173858927.jpg

IMG_20210613_133547310.jpg

Do you have an air hammer?

No but I think a trip to Harbor Freight will be happening when I get back from Harlan.
If you were closer Iā€™d let you borrow mine. They make things like ball joints easy.

Ball joint tool? Tighten it as much as you can, heat, then give the ear a good snack with a 5 lb. hammer. Usually will knock it loose (usually with a bang).

Ball joint tool? Tighten it as much as you can, heat, then give the ear a good snack with a 5 lb. hammer. Usually will knock it loose (usually with a bang).
Been there done that. That is why the drill and torch came out..... I had a D30 do this. Had to drill it out almost to the edges then slowly chip it away from the knuckle. Was not fun.

Weld up the center of that hole you drilled in it and I bet it will just about fall out. Hotter is better.

Weld up the center of that hole you drilled in it and I bet it will just about fall out. Hotter is better.
I was thinking about that as I gave up today. Welding the castle nut to it.

Weld a nut to it. Use one of the big ball joint nuts. That'll give you a ton of weld surface. Then apply heat to the C. It'll pop right out.

I was thinking about that as I gave up today. Welding the castle nut to it.
No, just weld up the hole solid. The C will keep it from expanding, and as it cools, the contraction will shrink the stud and taper. Also, drilling it out bigger so you can get more weld in will help, but down get the walls too thin or you will weld it to it, haha! Once the weld cools, I'll bet you a nickel it will pop right out with a couple hammer whacks or less.

No, just weld up the hole solid. The C will keep it from expanding, and as it cools, the contraction will shrink the stud and taper. Also, drilling it out bigger so you can get more weld in will help, but down get the walls too thin or you will weld it to it, haha! Once the weld cools, I'll bet you a nickel it will pop right out with a couple hammer whacks or less.
I drilled it out to 9/16th. Pretty close to the taper. And I still have the other side to deal with.

Weld that puppy! Hole looked smaller in the pics. Like 3/8" small.

Weld that puppy! Hole looked smaller in the pics. Like 3/8" small.
That was the first picture I took. Sent it to Andy @ Ironman with the comment... "I've had to resort to drastic measures to get the BJ stud out...." I also tried a pipe wrench. AS in a 2' long one before I started drilling. I may shove a 1/2 bolt in it and weld it to it.
Good luck with building it!
Thanks. It's been moving forward but very slowly....

That was the first picture I took. Sent it to Andy @ Ironman with the comment... "I've had to resort to drastic measures to get the BJ stud out...." I also tried a pipe wrench. AS in a 2' long one before I started drilling. I may shove a 1/2 bolt in it and weld it to it.

Thanks. It's been moving forward but very slowly....
Welding a bolt in, might not be a terrible idea. If it doesnt shrink enough to come out, you could possibly use the bolt to back the threaded collar and stud out.

Back