Random Metal Fab Fun.

sweet! Like the spokes! I got an old radio flyer in the garage that's gonna get a resto mod one day....

bridge side.jpg
bridge endview.jpg

20 ft clear span foot bridge. We are almost don with the metal fab. We are putting treated, lightly stained decking on it with hand rail accents of wood down the whole length. We were shooting for a train trestle appearance like you see on the Virginia Creeper Trail. We are pretty certain about building two more smaller more detailed bridges for a small private park. I wish I had enough engineering back ground to figure how much load these things could handle. Guess I should have stayed in the engineering program instead of jumping full bore on welding and machining.

View attachment 145181 View attachment 145182

20 ft clear span foot bridge. We are almost don with the metal fab. We are putting treated, lightly stained decking on it with hand rail accents of wood down the whole length. We were shooting for a train trestle appearance like you see on the Virginia Creeper Trail. We are pretty certain about building two more smaller more detailed bridges for a small private park. I wish I had enough engineering back ground to figure how much load these things could handle. Guess I should have stayed in the engineering program instead of jumping full bore on welding and machining.
I'd assume that if they're for a park (even if private) that they would have a PE stamp on them since they are a load bearing device for carrying human traffic. If so, call that guy and ask. Then again, I'd assume they would use I or H beams or box tubing instead of channel if it were PE'd.

lateral bracing, imagine what happens when you squeeze a hard taco shell. Not trying to insult, just chat. Could cope some angle to span from channel to channel at the top flanges and get some ridgidity

I'd ride a 4wheeler across it. Putting the wood on top will add a surprising amount of strength, as do the handrails.

lateral bracing, imagine what happens when you squeeze a hard taco shell. Not trying to insult, just chat. Could cope some angle to span from channel to channel at the top flanges and get some ridgidity
We boxed the ends with 3/16 plate with a broke out angle on the bottom. These also will be the anchor points for the concrete piers it rest on. The piers are about 3 ft each so the open span is around 14 ft I guess. No degrees in design or engineering here, just plain ole country boy sense. I've built and repaired trailers with less, which does load differently but handled a whole lot more weight and stress. I was just curious what she would actually hold. The real kicker is the owner is only spanning a spot about 36-40 inches deep! :shaking: We stayed away from tubing on the frame for corrosion since its getting a bunch of holes in it, and my partner thought jr. H beams (my idea) was overkill.

I built a popsicle bridge for high school that held over 20 text books. Does that count??

I threw together a cool shop couch the other day out of an old chevy bench seat.
uploadfromtaptalk1401158360043.jpg

Here's a flag pole stand for the Infield at the race. You park the tire of your vehicle on the flat plate to hold It In place.
uploadfromtaptalk1401158427361.jpg

Here's a stand that bolts to a work bench for setting up 9in and Toyota 3rds I built for a customer.
uploadfromtaptalk1401158536340.jpg

uploadfromtaptalk1401158555640.jpg

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1401158523080.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1401158523080.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 355
I made a weiner dog out of some ole scrap I had laying around for a friend who's family has a minor obsession with the little dogs,his name is Rusty
KIMG0104.JPG
KIMG0102.JPG

I threw together a cool shop couch the other day out of an old chevy bench seat.
View attachment 156617
Nice! I built a shop couch out of the bench seat from my Ford. My father in law has been "borrowing" my welder for months so I had to temporarily build the frame out of wood, but will be welding it up to bring it up a little higher and maybe add armrests when I get it back. I put mine on casters to roll it around the garage easily.

Bench seat couch is in foreground. You can also kinda see my tractor seat barstool in the background, though not much fab there, just ripped off the old ripped up seat and threw on an old Ford tractor seat and drilled a few holes to match.

afarm4.staticflickr.com_3726_11667387556_86e332f2fa_z.jpgUntitled by wrfalcon75, on Flickr
like the couch @MarsFab! heres a bench I made out of '62 tailgate.

View attachment 156671

Nice, looks like you even reused the wood bed floor and strips! My next project, O.K.'d by the wife is a tailgate bench for the front porch. I have the hinges, straps, and latches, so I'll be making the tailgate "backrest" fold down for some hidden storage behind it for random stuff such as -a drop cord, wife's garden flag collection, etc. and probably make the seat lift up as well for kid's toy storage, boots, etc.

Last edited:
Back