Random pic thread.

Swapped a new rear in my MIL John Deere rider today. That was one of the easiest jobs I've ever done. She decided she would rather fix hers than buy someone else's problem.

View attachment 399885
Mind telling me what were the signs of failure. I'm afraid mine might be giving up the ghost.

Watching the town fireworks from the front porch. No crowds needed around here.
IMG_3555.jpeg
IMG_3553.jpeg

For a long while reverse has been really weak. It would back up when there was any slope. It just died on her the other day.
Mine has been whining for a while. Just now it couldn't hardly pull a hill. It just kept getting slower and slower and finally said the hell with it.

Moon sure is purty tonight

20230702_211207.jpg

I was just coming here to share a pic and ask the engineer types what material this is made of.
View attachment 399944
Steel. Weld either developed a crack or was not fully welded at the top of the diagonal tube meeting the vertical tube. It started propagating around on both sides, and that funny bend on the left side of the vertical is the last bit of steel flexing and deforming (because at that point the crack was perpendicular to the motion/force instead of parallel) and hanging on for dear life before it finally ripped on through.

Weld either developed a crack or was not fully welded at the top of the diagonal tube meeting the vertical tube.
Possibly

(Arm chair quarterbacking)

With the movement seen in that video it's clear there was some serious force being applied. I'm no coaster engineer, but generic statics, dynamics, and strength of materials classes taught me that SOME flex should have been accounted for.

But.. I did NOT stay in a holiday inn express last night, and typically pic the wrong candidates to support (losers)

Possibly

With the movement seen in that video it's clear there was some serious force being applied. I'm no coaster engineer, but generic statics, dynamics, and strength of materials classes taught me that SOME flex should have been accounted for.

But.. I did NOT stay in a holiday inn express last night, and typically pic the wrong candidates to support (losers)
Possibly built in the wrong spot too (too far inward) creating excessive stress. The other posts clearly are carrying the load just fine. Based on how much it's flexing, it was likely taking too much load on that one, and not enough on the posts to either side, which is why that particular post failed, but the ride still kept standing and didn't collapse or yield the track. But im also not a roller coaster design expert, I just like offering uneducated speculation, so I could be totally wrong about that.

Possibly

This was why my thoughts are over welding causing stress risers or lack of flex in the weld zone or undercut causing stress fractures. Improper fusion would have failed differently. Me thinks further inspection would prove more issues in adjacent post. The design and connection in relation the load looks like a horrible idea to me, but I'm not engineer. Why design a leveraged load in a shear plane right at an intersection of high restraint? The repeated loading and unloading of the member needs room to move. I can only reason the design was believed to be rigid enough to fight any and all deflection.

Back