Random pic thread.

4-headed monster oak tree has had us worried for awhile now it would hit the house or the vehicles. It was still alive, but had a lot of rot. We didn’t realize how much until today when we had it taken down.
On one of the trunks my wife counted 65 rings.
The base of the stump is about 6’ diameter.

View attachment 405811View attachment 405812View attachment 405813View attachment 405814View attachment 405815
good call!

Neighbor had one like that. It was huge. After taking it down and realizing how hollow it was, his son climed through it like a tunnel. Wild.

O, Lordy; I sure Love Traffic! Any guess where this is? [Hint] Not too far from me, & 3:00 pm.
No takers? I'm waiting in School traffic, Hwy 273, Belmont, NC. South Point school was there first, then someone decided, across the street would be a good place for a Harris-Tetter shopping center. While were at it, toss in as Much new Housing & Apartments, as you can find a piece of ground, or buy other owners out. Might as well add a New Elementary school as well. Hey, we got a Traffic light & a crossing guard! Goo-lee Gomer, let's stick a Chick-Filet in the midst. NO One, cared, that the road is a 2 lane road, with all the New amenities built right up to the shoulders. No set-backs, no way it will Ever be expended from the 2 lane! Superior planning Belmont!

fixx.png

No takers? I'm waiting in School traffic, Hwy 273, Belmont, NC. South Point school was there first, then someone decided, across the street would be a good place for a Harris-Tetter shopping center. While were at it, toss in as Much new Housing & Apartments, as you can find a piece of ground, or buy other owners out. Might as well add a New Elementary school as well. Hey, we got a Traffic light & a crossing guard! Goo-lee Gomer, let's stick a Chick-Filet in the midst. NO One, cared, that the road is a 2 lane road, with all the New amenities built right up to the shoulders. No set-backs, no way it will Ever be expended from the 2 lane! Superior planning Belmont!
Belmont is gonna Belmont as long as rich Yankees keeps moving there and calling the Catawba River “Lake Wylie”…

When I printed at Auto-Trader we had a saddle stitcher that had a stick duct taped to the inside of the electrical cabinet door.
It basically was the same idea ..... the stick kept the main contactor pushed in so it would run.
I told them to buy a new one and I could swap it out in 10 minutes and not have the hazard ...... as far as I know when they closed the place down it was still like that.

Neighbor had one[….] It was huge. After taking it down […]son climed through it like a tunnel.
I mean… I don’t even know what to say

Fun day at the Blowing Rock Fall Festival. It was tough to keep an eye on the kids in this crowd though.
IMG_0958.jpeg

I like the shirt, but I’m less convinced of the likelihood he is correct.
IMG_0959.jpeg

This costume parade went on for over 20 minutes!
IMG_0960.jpeg

My crew was more interested in watching than being in the parade.
IMG_0963.jpeg

The moon coming up over the hill this evening was pretty awesome too.
IMG_0972.jpeg

Spent the day digging ditches for my BIL. Thought it would be easy since they are in sand.

They recently cut two big pecans and 2 magnolias. I had to fight thru roots all day:

20231028_165605.jpg

20231028_165603.jpg

Neighbor in the mountains had a big dying maple taken down before it fell across the driveway, and they saved the trunk for me. I didn’t want to drag the skid steer and trailer just for this, so instead, I spent 2hrs mounting a HF ATV winch to the headache rack of the truck and hoped it would have enough grunt to get the job done :shaking:
IMG_0953.jpeg
IMG_0957.jpeg
IMG_0956.jpeg
IMG_0980.jpeg
IMG_0982.jpeg
IMG_0984.jpeg
IMG_0985.jpeg
IMG_0987.jpeg
IMG_0991.jpeg
IMG_0992.jpeg
IMG_0996.jpeg
IMG_0997.jpeg
IMG_0998.jpeg

The secret to success was cribbing everything in the right fashion and wrapping the strap around so it would roll onto the truck instead of having to full drag it.
IMG_0978.jpeg

Last edited:
Neighbor in the mountains had a big dying maple taken down before it fell across the driveway, and they saved the trunk for me. I didn’t want to drag the skid steer and trailer just for this, so instead, I spent 2hrs mounting a HF ATV winch to the headache rack of the truck and hoped it would have enough grunt to get the job done :shaking:
View attachment 405961View attachment 405962View attachment 405963View attachment 405964View attachment 405965View attachment 405966View attachment 405968View attachment 405969View attachment 405970View attachment 405971View attachment 405972View attachment 405973View attachment 405974

The secret to success was cribbing everything in the right fashion and wrapping the strap around so it would roll onto the truck instead of having to full drag it.
View attachment 405975
That darn headache rack deserves a medal!

That darn headache rack deserves a medal!
Yeah, we won’t talk about how much deflection was going on once it started pulling 3000lbs of of old maple straight across the back corner of the bed. That’s when I had to lift the bed to get the weight off the corner so it would actually slide.
IMG_0990.jpeg

Plus that allowed me to cheat the bed back enough to gain another foot and get it to the balance point. But I had to get my fatass on the front of the bed to get it lower down because there was so much weight behind the bed pivot point it wouldn’t gravity lower. That’s what’s going on here.
IMG_0993.jpeg

Took the kids to the Ashe County Corn Maze today. ‘Twas a good time, and right in the shadow of Mt Jefferson.
IMG_1012.jpeg
IMG_1017.jpeg
IMG_1016.jpeg
IMG_1018.jpeg
IMG_1019.jpeg

And what trip is complete without a good roadside wildfire?!?!?
IMG_0999.jpeg

It climbed to the top of the ridge and pretty much stopped.
IMG_1003.jpeg

Looked like a older car hauler (or something with a shit ton of toolboxes) had some issue coming up 421 near Laxon and caught fire, then spread to the hillside.
IMG_1004.jpeg
IMG_1005.jpeg
IMG_1006.jpeg
IMG_1007.jpeg
IMG_1009.jpeg

Back