Random pic thread.

If you haven't gathered this about me, I like being right. The whole bruncledaddy concept of 'if you knew the right person, you could order anything', from the first forum I logged in to, didn't sit right with me. Billion dollar corporations aren't shutting down production for your basic one off (even experimental projects had their limits and documentation). So I made it a life's mission to have the most extensive 73-79 Ford truck library in existence...and to my knowledge, I do. That expanded to 57-97 ford trucks, but I kind of lost interest in those. I've given/loaned out materials to Keith at Fordification so he can continue to grow his platform, Dennis Carpenter fact checking and ford dealerships for cross reference purposes. The primary thing I learned is, even if I have something straight from Ford saying something is or isn't possible...the innernet is still full of dumb twats, granpappy knows more and everyone has a direct relative that was an executive at Ford...so I retired and the books only come out when OG's need something.

/rant over
That is cool to have that documentation. I've thought about trying to reproduce that truck but it's probably next to impossible. Every time I visit with mom and dad in FL I pull out pictures and scan them in. This is the best one I have found of the truck so far. Was taken in 80 I believe before my sisters JR prom. There is another one floating around of the truck but I can't find ti right now. I'd like to find some sales stuff on the Supercab's like it.

img065.jpg

If you haven't gathered this about me, I like being right. The whole bruncledaddy concept of 'if you knew the right person, you could order anything', from the first forum I logged in to, didn't sit right with me. Billion dollar corporations aren't shutting down production for your basic one off (even experimental projects had their limits and documentation). So I made it a life's mission to have the most extensive 73-79 Ford truck library in existence...and to my knowledge, I do. That expanded to 57-97 ford trucks, but I kind of lost interest in those. I've given/loaned out materials to Keith at Fordification so he can continue to grow his platform, Dennis Carpenter fact checking and ford dealerships for cross reference purposes. The primary thing I learned is, even if I have something straight from Ford saying something is or isn't possible...the innernet is still full of dumb twats, granpappy knows more and everyone has a direct relative that was an executive at Ford...so I retired and the books only come out when OG's need something.

/rant over
One thing that clouds this is shady or creative dealers.

Much like the Rocky Ridge trucks today where dealerships will buy a new truck and modify it before selling to the general public - dealers of yesteryear would do the same - only without the internet to "catch" them.

In an early Mustang group I was a member of many years ago a heated debate sprung up about 1967 fastbacks with factory 302s. Supposedly there were 3 or 4 found and they all centered around North Georgia. A noted respected community member owned 2 of them. Of course the 302 wasn't introduced until 1968 - so especially an early 67 date code with a factory 302 was un-possible and ludicrous. Yet there was this respected grey beard with a pristine example and less than 20k original miles. Dude was ridiculed on the internet but there were enough people I knew in real life that "knew" him and knew he was legit and extremely trustworthy. I never knew what to think and didn't think much of it. A few years go by and another community guy surfaces asking questions about the 1967 fastback 302 option...only this dude has paperwork. His dad was an actuary and bought it new and never threw anything away. Including a dealer invoice for this new 1967 that notated the 302 and interestingly was dated late Summer of....1968. The mystery began to unravel. A dealership over bought low desire vehicles - 200 I6 models - and they sat for over a year. in the days of a factory replacement engine being ~$125 the dealer bought the engines swapped them int eh service bay and sold them to consumers who never knew they weren't Ford produced....which begs the question -is this an original vehicle or not.

Now - for every unicorn like that in some rare market pocket there are 10,000 idiots who know better and swear they have a XYZ that only 4 were made of because they knew someone.

I bring it up only because there are ways that unicorn legends are born that aren't just idiots.

I finally found that other picture. Funny thing this has the tiller that's in my shop in the bed. Not very good picture. I didn't have my scanner when I found this one and just took it with my iPhone. I drove that truck from before I could drive until he got an 84.

79 F150.jpg

Much like the Rocky Ridge trucks today where dealerships will buy a new truck and modify it before selling to the general public - dealers of yesteryear would do the same - only without the internet to "catch" them.

In an early Mustang group I was a member of many years ago a heated debate sprung up about 1967 fastbacks with factory 302s. Supposedly there were 3 or 4 found and they all centered around North Georgia. A noted respected community member owned 2 of them. Of course the 302 wasn't introduced until 1968 - so especially an early 67 date code with a factory 302 was un-possible and ludicrous. Yet there was this respected grey beard with a pristine example and less than 20k original miles. Dude was ridiculed on the internet but there were enough people I knew in real life that "knew" him and knew he was legit and extremely trustworthy. I never knew what to think and didn't think much of it. A few years go by and another community guy surfaces asking questions about the 1967 fastback 302 option...only this dude has paperwork. His dad was an actuary and bought it new and never threw anything away. Including a dealer invoice for this new 1967 that notated the 302 and interestingly was dated late Summer of....1968. The mystery began to unravel. A dealership over bought low desire vehicles - 200 I6 models - and they sat for over a year. in the days of a factory replacement engine being ~$125 the dealer bought the engines swapped them int eh service bay and sold them to consumers who never knew they weren't Ford produced....which begs the question -is this an original vehicle or not.

Now - for every unicorn like that in some rare market pocket there are 10,000 idiots who know better and swear they have a XYZ that only 4 were made of because they knew someone.

I bring it up only because there are ways that unicorn legends are born that aren't just idiots.

Ford especially, I've got the list from the dealer my bronco came from of all the shit they could add through whatever ford program. To include warn 8274, plow, ac, etc. always thought that was pretty cool.

Oh yeah...absolutely...dealer options certainly existed. Full disclosure, my grandfather was a 40yr Ford Master mechanic. 460's in 4x4's didn't exist in factory form until 1983. There's not a VIN on this planet that would show otherwise and there's not a single factory part in the master parts catalog that would substantiate a factory 460 before 1983, but my grandfather sure as hell sent dozens of 0 mile trucks out the door with a 460...cut up and turn some 390 engine mounts/towers and viola. There were also 3rd party conversion companies. But the fact remains, a billion dollar corporation isn't shutting down an assembly line for a custom order just because you knew someone...it was handled at the dealer level...and any instance I've ever seen with Dealer options either VIN doesn't match the car (but the invoice would match) or the VIN had a special coded digit like a 'Z' as the engine code, and every now and again you might get a wonky DSO code.

Ford especially, I've got the list from the dealer my bronco came from of all the shit they could add through whatever ford program. To include warn 8274, plow, ac, etc. always thought that was pretty cool.

Yeah…these books specifically cataloged what factory and what dealers could do what through Ford approved programs…

IMG_6619.jpeg

IMG_0242.jpeg

IMG_8592.jpeg

IMG_6967.jpeg

And even then you still had the ‘unapproved’ programs, and was just a local 3rd party that would provide things like this plow or 3rd party customizers…

IMG_9723.jpeg

IMG_9323.jpeg
IMG_9322.jpeg

I finally found that other picture. Funny thing this has the tiller that's in my shop in the bed. Not very good picture. I didn't have my scanner when I found this one and just took it with my iPhone. I drove that truck from before I could drive until he got an 84.

View attachment 407752

That's a great looking truck...long bed super cabs are by far the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye. And based on the nostalgia, sounds like you need a project.

That's a great looking truck...long bed super cabs are by far the most aesthetically pleasing to my eye. And based on the nostalgia, sounds like you need a project.
It’s on the bucket list. I haven’t looked hard but I haven’t come across one like it. I’m curious what options were available for that truck and how well equipped it was.

It’s on the bucket list. I haven’t looked hard but I haven’t come across one like it. I’m curious what options were available for that truck and how well equipped it was.

Have a VIN by chance or the Warranty Plate? That’s easily decoded for the basics. Otherwise, if you just have the VIN, Marti Auto has the archives and can get you more detail. I think their basic option is like $20 and gets you something like this…

IMG_7475.jpeg

Have a VIN by chance or the Warranty Plate? That’s easily decoded for the basics. Otherwise, if you just have the VIN, Marti Auto has the archives and can get you more detail. I think their basic option is like $20 and gets you something like this…

View attachment 407765
I'll have to ask them if they have anything on it. I doubt it but you never know.

Hear me out…houses were literally selling for $10-40k in the area I was at…could probably buy an entire neighborhood for $150k. Hit 80 a few times in the Rzr…could be a good spot for a solid nights rest before a long trek home from GER…

View attachment 407712

I know that area well. We take the sxs's up there a couple times a year and do damn near 100 miles a day. Really rough area with really great people.

I know that area well. We take the sxs's up there a couple times a year and do damn near 100 miles a day. Really rough area with really great people.

Yeah, I probably averaged about 80 miles/day myself. And agreed, everyone up there was great. Only problem is, the wife and kids noted they liked the SxS's more than the trucks, so I'm trying to decide how seriously I'm going to consider the wife telling me to grab a rzr. Looks like I can get a new 4 seater XP 1000 for damn near the same price as something in the 4-5 year old range.

Looks like I can get a new 4 seater XP 1000 for damn near the same price as something in the 4-5 year old range.
Which also happens to be the same price as a well built and sorted 4x4 rig with real doors, heat, AC, and a title, that has actual gears in the transmission, 3-4x the motor, is street legal, has much better crash safety design, and comes in a multitude of shapes/sizes/colors. (I'm not knocking you, I'm knocking the stupid prices of SXS's)

Which also happens to be the same price as a well built and sorted 4x4 rig with real doors, heat, AC, and a title, that has actual gears in the transmission, 3-4x the motor, is street legal, has much better crash safety design, and comes in a multitude of shapes/sizes/colors. (I'm not knocking you, I'm knocking the stupid prices of SXS's)

Not gonna lie…exact same thought crossed my mind, and how I keep saying no to a dedicated trail rig. However, the endorsement from the family, and more accessible utv friendly trails.

Yeah, I probably averaged about 80 miles/day myself. And agreed, everyone up there was great. Only problem is, the wife and kids noted they liked the SxS's more than the trucks, so I'm trying to decide how seriously I'm going to consider the wife telling me to grab a rzr. Looks like I can get a new 4 seater XP 1000 for damn near the same price as something in the 4-5 year old range.
Rmax4 just saying

Back