Random pic thread.

You start having more kids you will have to start selling all them toys.
Actually it’s been the opposite in the past few years. Been buying toys “for the family” or “for the kids” haha

1720709603633.png

Been looking at suitcase welders for a few weeks and hadn't made my mind up. Got a crew at work doing some work and one of them has the little miller and the other had one I didn't recognize. I looked it up and it's $100 on Amazon?! Dudes rig is beat all up but cooking metal just as good as the other guys miller. I just bought one. Will report back when it use it.

Screenshot_20240711-143804.png

Been looking at suitcase welders for a few weeks and hadn't made my mind up. Got a crew at work doing some work and one of them has the little miller and the other had one I didn't recognize. I looked it up and it's $100 on Amazon?! Dudes rig is beat all up but cooking metal just as good as the other guys miller. I just bought one. Will report back when it use it.

View attachment 420805

One of our subs on my site has a couple if these. Hasn't had any issues passing inspections, but has fought that machine every step of the way. Is it user error? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it just doesn't have enough duty cycle.

I'd but one in a heartbeat for personal use (actually planning to put one in the farm truck) but I wouldn't buy one for everyday heavy use on site.

One of our subs on my site has a couple if these. Hasn't had any issues passing inspections, but has fought that machine every step of the way. Is it user error? Maybe, maybe not. Maybe it just doesn't have enough duty cycle.

I'd but one in a heartbeat for personal use (actually planning to put one in the farm truck) but I wouldn't buy one for everyday heavy use on site.
I have real welders for heavy stuff. I just wanted something for when I need to weld one little thing way over there and don't want to drag out the big welder. If it sucks I'm only out $110 😂

search swamp buckets…. I love a good low country boil. Seen these online but knew I could make one. Makes it easy of it turns out. 35$ vs 140ish after shipping. I know the plastic is concerning. I did wipe my new bucket down with disinfectant and then boiled 2 batches of water to sterilize it. Making a boil now. Plastic doesn’t seem to get soft or anything of that matter. Drilled holes in the lid, turn it up and strain the food

Attachments

• 74242845336__3B2857BC-0618-4105-B981-22A6BB28D742.jpeg
    74242845336__3B2857BC-0618-4105-B981-22A6BB28D742.jpeg
    115.3 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_7122.jpeg
    IMG_7122.jpeg
    88.6 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_7123.jpeg
    IMG_7123.jpeg
    241.7 KB · Views: 35
  • 74242739192__C5B360AC-17CA-4512-89AE-C5B5456EFB30.jpeg
    74242739192__C5B360AC-17CA-4512-89AE-C5B5456EFB30.jpeg
    148.1 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_7125.jpeg
    IMG_7125.jpeg
    124.8 KB · Views: 32
search swamp buckets…. I love a good low country boil. Seen these online but knew I could make one. Makes it easy of it turns out. 35$ vs 140ish after shipping. I know the plastic is concerning. I did wipe my new bucket down with disinfectant and then boiled 2 batches of water to sterilize it. Making a boil now. Plastic doesn’t seem to get soft or anything of that matter. Drilled holes in the lid, turn it up and strain the food

That probably has a melting point around 250 deg. So you aren't far off.

I have real welders for heavy stuff. I just wanted something for when I need to weld one little thing way over there and don't want to drag out the big welder. If it sucks I'm only out $110 😂

I'm in the same boat with it. I have a good mig setup, trying to get a good stick setup at my house and have one at the shop already. But I also have a little Chicago electric Flux core 110v machine, and am really eying one of these cheapo suitcase welders for the farm truck.

I'm in the same boat with it. I have a good mig setup, trying to get a good stick setup at my house and have one at the shop already. But I also have a little Chicago electric Flux core 110v machine, and am really eying one of these cheapo suitcase welders for the farm truck.

That probably has a melting point around 250 deg. So you aren't far off.
Didn’t even get soft at a hard boil. Just a convenient way to boil
Some food for thought (pun intended)

Sterility isn't your problem. Those buckets are made from HDPE, which as a glass temp of ~120 C. Its above boiling, but not by a ton, and its really a range of ~100 to 130, so you're riiiight on the edge (glass temp isn't a hard line)
The real problem though isn't the softening as much as offgassing and any breakdown and release of polymers from approaching that range. If its soft at all you can guarantee you have microplastics in your food.

HDPE is recyclable (#2 IIRC). There is such thing as "food grade HDPE", which means it is specifically made from virgin materials so its known to be pure.
If its not food grade, which of course the buckets aren't, then there some very good but unknown chance its made from recycled material which isn't required to be disclosed. And bein grecycled there's a good chance it isn't pure, and the offgassing may be releasing "just" HDPE, or could be other unknown stuff.

Did you die? No. Will you die if you do it again? Also probably no.
Is it a good idea to do this as a habit?
I sure as hell wouldn't.

I'd at least buy a food grade bucket :D

Sterility isn't your problem. Those buckets are made from HDPE, which as a glass temp of ~120 C. Its above boiling, but not by a ton, and its really a range of ~100 to 130, so you're riiiight on the edge (glass temp isn't a hard line)
The real problem though isn't the softening as much as offgassing and any breakdown and release of polymers from approaching that range. If its soft at all you can guarantee you have microplastics in your food.

HDPE is recyclable (#2 IIRC). There is such thing as "food grade HDPE", which means it is specifically made from virgin materials so its known to be pure.
If its not food grade, which of course the buckets aren't, then there some very good but unknown chance its made from recycled material which isn't required to be disclosed. And bein grecycled there's a good chance it isn't pure, and the offgassing may be releasing "just" HDPE, or could be other unknown stuff.

I sure as hell wouldn't.

Yes, food grade bucket is ordered. This is a got what they had trial. The lid is good grade so won’t have to buy that again

I sure as hell wouldn't.

What ^ said. @Noel spend $25 so you don't die of plastic bucket induced penis cancer in 10 years:
1720792009729.png

Back