Random pic thread.

Plumbed the camper gutters to a condensate pump and thought it would be cool to make my old frog into a fountain. Boys and I are having a blast with it. I will cut the tubing once it relaxes in the heat some.
IMG_20240813_191046999_HDR.jpg
IMG_20240813_190440008.jpg

They need to bring it back!
100%
Kids' handwriting these days is HORRIBLE. I know juniors and seniors whose handwriting I can barely read at all.

And cursive isn't taught anymore at all. We are working on teaching our 13 y/o enough to be able to make a signature bc they don't even do that.

100%
Kids' handwriting these days is HORRIBLE. I know juniors and seniors whose handwriting I can barely read at all.

And cursive isn't taught anymore at all. We are working on teaching our 13 y/o enough to be able to make a signature bc they don't even do that.
Where in life do you really need cursive? It’s just fancy penmanship. Focus that time in school on something more life skill, or liberal arts or something lol 😂

Where in life do you really need cursive? It’s just fancy penmanship. Focus that time in school on something more life skill, or liberal arts or something lol 😂
For me it equals discipline and dedication to a craft over fancy lettering. I can't imagine the frustration kids with phone thumbs getting them to focus long enough the form a cursive g let alone a full three letter word.

For me it equals discipline and dedication to a craft over fancy lettering. I can't imagine the frustration kids with phone thumbs getting them to focus long enough the form a cursive g let alone a full three letter word.
While I understand your point. I’d rather that semester be spent learning a true life skill. I couldn’t tell you the last time I ever wrote anything in cursive. But I can tell you how many times I have had to help people do basic life skills that they were clueless about. Some folks out here can’t even check engine oil. Or balance a bank account. But that goes much deeper than this thread lol 😂

Saw a cybertruck on the way home from work yesterday. Didn't realize how small they were.
1723643034404.png

100%

Cursive is a waste of time. All you need to know is how to sign your name. The last time I wrote anything other than my name in cursive was probably 40 years ago, or whatever grade it was that they taught it back when I was in school.

Cursive is a waste of time. All you need to know is how to sign your name. The last time I wrote anything other than my name in cursive was probably 40 years ago, or whatever grade it was that they taught it back when I was in school.
Quite the contrary. Cursive is a time saver. It flows so much smoother and more quickly than print. I learned cursive in 3rd grade, and have never looked back. Only time I writ print is on field sketches and drawing notes.

Torch days are good days. Cutting a tower crane base down to grade, and couldn't let the guys have all the fun.

Resized_20240813_100010_1723646020850.jpeg
20240814_095425.jpg
Resized_20240814_095739_1723646021489.jpeg

20240814_124248.jpg

Last edited:
Quite the contrary. Cursive is a time saver. It flows so much smoother and more quickly than print. I learned cursive in 3rd grade, and have never looked back. Only time I writ print is on field sketches and drawing notes.
Agreed. I can write fast in cursive or chicken scratch, but cursive is legible to other people when I'm done. I've also found it useful for birthday cards and other forms of handwritten notes. My handwriting is actually better than my wifes if I actually try. But most of the time is just a bunch of illegible scribble, haha.

Same. My normal writing is a combination. I try to print and end up linking letters.

While I understand your point. I’d rather that semester be spent learning a true life skill. I couldn’t tell you the last time I ever wrote anything in cursive. But I can tell you how many times I have had to help people do basic life skills that they were clueless about. Some folks out here can’t even check engine oil. Or balance a bank account. But that goes much deeper than this thread lol 😂
Yes, but what life skills are you teaching at that age? Foundations skills like attention span, attention to detail and for some dexterity and motor skills like hand eye coordination. It builds many things. School in general needs to re-evaluate life skills training. Parents sure aren't getting it done but that introduces the argument we face now. Schools are not responsible for raising children.

Edit: just like cursive hand writing letters is a dead forgotten art and in that we lost another human connection. 😕

s-l1200.jpg

100%

Jake is 24 and he can write his name and read a few things but thats it.

Yes, but what life skills are you teaching at that age? Foundations skills like attention span, attention to detail and for some dexterity and motor skills like hand eye coordination. It builds many things. School in general needs to re-evaluate life skills training. Parents sure aren't getting it done but that introduces the argument we face now. Schools are not responsible for raising children.

Edit: just like cursive hand writing letters is a dead forgotten art and in that we lost another human connection. 😕

View attachment 422918
...says the guy whose whole profession is based on patient, careful use of your fingers.
Hell aside from being ok with staring at bright things this is probably the single best training for welding!

Same. My normal writing is a combination. I try to print and end up linking letters.

Same here. I can write neatly but slowly in either print or cursive, or I can write fast but barely legible in a mixture.

Duane

Back