Random pic thread.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1452081340.626090.jpg

View attachment 206189started changing the deck on a million dollar home. This is what was holding up the rock work in one corner of the wall....

Lol that's awesome... I was always shocked by what I'd see walking around these cookie cutter neighborhoods. They charge a premium for houses built at a minimum...

A new house is going up in our neighborhood and just judging by the way the Hispanics stack the ladders to get to the 2nd story roof, I assume they have cut a few corners in a few more areas lol.

The company I work for use to be top notch but they have started subbing most stuff out and giving it to lowest bid. They think it's cheaper to pay for cheap work and have us fix it instead of doing it right once. I've fixed/replaced felt paper 4 times in the last two weeks because $300 was to much extra to pay for titanium

In reference to building, I was consulting with a gentleman about a project and possible options.

He wisely responded "I can't afford to do this cheap". Meaning you will pay a second time to have it done right after the first time is a total fail because you tried to save a few bucks.

If you wanna see some messed up stuff, go into one of these neighborhoods where they're building 30-40 houses at a time. A friend of mine just recently had one built and I'm not exactly up to date on codes but I'm pretty sure that when you cut an 8" hole through every 12" engineered joist to run ac flex duct, you might just weaken it a lil...

Brand new house and the fake stone on the front is already falling off... She said "well they'll fix that". Lol yeah but what about the other crap you can't see. This is in a neighborhood of 250k + homes.....

In reference to building, I was consulting with a gentleman about a project and possible options.

He wisely responded "I can't afford to do this cheap". Meaning you will pay a second time to have it done right after the first time is a total fail because you tried to save a few bucks.
Pay me now or pay me later.

If you wanna see some messed up stuff, go into one of these neighborhoods where they're building 30-40 houses at a time. A friend of mine just recently had one built and I'm not exactly up to date on codes but I'm pretty sure that when you cut an 8" hole through every 12" engineered joist to run ac flex duct, you might just weaken it a lil...

Brand new house and the fake stone on the front is already falling off... She said "well they'll fix that". Lol yeah but what about the other crap you can't see. This is in a neighborhood of 250k + homes.....

When our neighborhood was being built in Cary back in the mid 80s, there were literally so many houses going up so fast that the inspectors openly admitted they could not keep up with them. So apparently in my neighborhood, as with many others, they would walk in and randomly pick 1 house and look it over. It it passed - meaning "good enough", they signed off on all of them at once.
We learned this when my dad noticed that part of the wall in their bedroom was caving in. He investigated it w/ an engineer and realized they had randomly changed the designs at build time and moved a wall over a foot or two - a wall that was supposed to be load-bearing. That totally fucked up the bracing, he had to have it torn out and replaced.
And of course when he went to the town to complain, they just told him about what things were like back then that guy is gone now, sorry....

And we were lucky, ours was one of the first built as they were just getting up and going before the big rush. I had friends w/ bricks in their porches and steps that didn't even have mortar.

When our neighborhood was being built in Cary back in the mid 80s, there were literally so many houses going up so fast that the inspectors openly admitted they could not keep up with them. So apparently in my neighborhood, as with many others, they would walk in and randomly pick 1 house and look it over. It it passed - meaning "good enough", they signed off on all of them at once.
We learned this when my dad noticed that part of the wall in their bedroom was caving in. He investigated it w/ an engineer and realized they had randomly changed the designs at build time and moved a wall over a foot or two - a wall that was supposed to be load-bearing. That totally fucked up the bracing, he had to have it torn out and replaced.
And of course when he went to the town to complain, they just told him about what things were like back then that guy is gone now, sorry....

And we were lucky, ours was one of the first built as they were just getting up and going before the big rush. I had friends w/ bricks in their porches and steps that didn't even have mortar.

.........we're only near cary w an Apex address and are not annexed but the vintage and lack of quality are the same throughout. Apparently the county was also understaffed.

Damn..... ... Just damn...

Before we bought our house we lived in a mobile home ( pretty name for a trailer). When we started looking to buy we looked at houses built by the number 1 home builder in the WS/Forsyth Co. area.
Junk.
I told the guy showing the house that my mobile home was built better than their junk!
I went and bought a real quality built 30 year old house.
Problems with the new house ...
-wifey set her pocket book on the kitchen counter and it tilted an inch
-1/2" gaps behind the chair rails because the walls where so uneven
-stuff falling down
-peeling paint
-Earl Shieb quality drywall work
-gaps under the toe molding because the floor wasn't level
-most doors didnt open/close properly - out of square
I literally laughed out loud when he told us the prices!

And this was in the model home!

Matt

I did a LOT of work in some houses in River Wood which is a "nice" neighborhood in Clayton. The quality issues were amazing in homes less than 5 years old. Fortune to be made in there because most of the folks who live there don't know a hammer from a coping saw.

So we're in Arizona with some time to kill and my daughter picked up this brochure and saido here Dad and Lane will love this. Tourist trap 250/person 4 hour tour...but check out the salesmanship
20160109_090114.jpg

Now let me zoom in on that verbiage...

20160109_090122.jpg

Anybody know a good hardwood floor guy?

View attachment 206452
At Gotwood Flooring we pride ourselves in delivering the highest quality products and services. Have our design team customize you home with a unique look or bring us your design. Don't forget our motto

WE CAN MAKE IT, BUT CAN YOU AFFORD IT?

Back