Random pic thread.

ascontent_atl3_1.xx.fbcdn.net_v_t1.0_9_14054249_12286545804997478da6859de23071e5a91360e131c6b7.jpg

Morning commute.... I don't remember seeing something like this before. Driving by it felt like sticking your head in an oven. Crazy hot.

image.jpeg

So I haven't been as active on this board lately but I haven't forgotten you guys. Saw this taped to the cashier's counter in a local convenience store a few weeks ago but it was just as I'd finished paying. I decided to go back in the other day to and snap the picture as inconspicuously as possible...

View attachment 226245
Eeeeeeeeeeeewww!!!

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

So I haven't been as active on this board lately but I haven't forgotten you guys. Saw this taped to the cashier's counter in a local convenience store a few weeks ago but it was just as I'd finished paying. I decided to go back in the other day to and snap the picture as inconspicuously as possible...

View attachment 226245
I just threw up a little

Gonna swap out for a Barnes4wd cover. Can't keep the bolts tight, and I've ready had to weld nuts to several bolts.

View attachment 226305

I'm grinding my teeth.....

I really don't understand why someone would possibly design a diff cover with flat head cap screws. They're softer than socket head cap screws, usually lower tensile strength, have a smaller drive size, there is ZERO lateral freedom so everything becomes very critical to machine, and the amount of material removal for countersunk holes make the flange weaker around the fasteners. Most fastener references will state that flat head cap screws are not recommended for high strength fastening, for those reasons.

The diff cover manufacturer can't control the tolerance of the diff mounting bolt pattern, only the tolerance of the diff cover bolt pattern, and the diff was not designed with tolerances to use flat head cap screws, so good luck trying to get 14 conical holes to align properly on the same axis as the diff holes. That leads to bolts that tighten down when they aren't completely aligned to the countersink, making the loading on the countersink uneven and making them prone to loosen up when there's torsion between parts...;)

Great, the fasteners are more protected from damage. That's the one and only benefit, period.

I just really don't get the purpose of that design. If you really want to use flat head cap screws, at least use a Torx or Torx Plus drive on them out of sympathy for the person that has to service it. If the biggest problem is that you occassionally have to tighten them, and don't want to replace the cover because of that, I recommend replacing them all with those. $10 for 25 from McMaster Carr, 3/8-16x1 with Torx Plus drive (thats the right size for 14-bolt with thick flange cover, says Google?)...

:kaioken:

Last edited:
Back