Random pic thread.

I'm grinding my teeth.....

I really don't understand why someone would possibly design a diff cover with flat head cap screws. They're softer than socket head cap screws, usually lower tensile strength, have a smaller drive size, there is ZERO lateral freedom so everything becomes very critical to machine, and the amount of material removal for countersunk holes make the flange weaker around the fasteners. Most fastener references will state that flat head cap screws are not recommended for high strength fastening, for those reasons.

The diff cover manufacturer can't control the tolerance of the diff mounting bolt pattern, only the tolerance of the diff cover bolt pattern, and the diff was not designed with tolerances to use flat head cap screws, so good luck trying to get 14 conical holes to align properly on the same axis as the diff holes. That leads to bolts that tighten down when they aren't completely aligned to the countersink, making the loading on the countersink uneven and making them prone to loosen up when there's torsion between parts...;)

Great, the fasteners are more protected from damage. That's the one and only benefit, period.

I just really don't get the purpose of that design. If you really want to use flat head cap screws, at least use a Torx or Torx Plus drive on them out of sympathy for the person that has to service it. If the biggest problem is that you occassionally have to tighten them, and don't want to replace the cover because of that, I recommend replacing them all with those.

:kaioken:
Why don't you tell us how you really feel?[emoji2]

Sent from my SM-S820L using Tapatalk

Why don't you tell us how you really feel?

Lol, yeah. Some things just make me angry, because they're so easy to design properly but still get messed up.... It's a fabbed diff cover, lots of people make them that work really well.

Kind of like getting a burger at a restaurant. It is so easy to make a solid, perfectly passable burger, but I've had some really terrible ones and there isn't much excuse when you're selling food to people. It's just some ground meat, and all you have to do is make a patty and cook it properly, and it should still be decent even if you don't even add anything to the meat. But yet.... :p

I need to eat lunch...

I'm grinding my teeth.....

I really don't understand why someone would possibly design a diff cover with flat head cap screws. They're softer than socket head cap screws, usually lower tensile strength, have a smaller drive size, there is ZERO lateral freedom so everything becomes very critical to machine, and the amount of material removal for countersunk holes make the flange weaker around the fasteners. Most fastener references will state that flat head cap screws are not recommended for high strength fastening, for those reasons.

The diff cover manufacturer can't control the tolerance of the diff mounting bolt pattern, only the tolerance of the diff cover bolt pattern, and the diff was not designed with tolerances to use flat head cap screws, so good luck trying to get 14 conical holes to align properly on the same axis as the diff holes. That leads to bolts that tighten down when they aren't completely aligned to the countersink, making the loading on the countersink uneven and making them prone to loosen up when there's torsion between parts...;)

Great, the fasteners are more protected from damage. That's the one and only benefit, period.

I just really don't get the purpose of that design. If you really want to use flat head cap screws, at least use a Torx or Torx Plus drive on them out of sympathy for the person that has to service it. If the biggest problem is that you occassionally have to tighten them, and don't want to replace the cover because of that, I recommend replacing them all with those. $10 for 25 from McMaster Carr, 3/8-16x1 with Torx Plus drive (thats the right size for 14-bolt with thick flange cover, says Google?)...

:kaioken:

Ask rough stuff ? It would probably be a decent product, if I never hit rocks, and never was in dirt, but I get bored at the mall parking lot, and my front lack of uptravel sucks on speed bumps.

I agree completely.

Both my dad and I have ran this brand cover since 08 or so, and we are both more than fed up the constant replacing of oil due to water intrusion and refilling of oil due to leaking.

We have to tighten the bolts every time out. Even with red lock tite they come lose. I once use lock tite between the taper of the head and the bolt. That worked to keep them tight, but I had to weld nuts to them to remove all 10 of them to work on the diff. Using a torch to heat them, ended will all of the hex drives circular.

The @Barnes4wd cover is not countersunk for flat head bolts. It can be used with socket head cap screws or regular cap screws. I will most likely use socket head cap screws to match the rear cover. They are easy enough to replace when I destroy the heads on rocks, and are large enough I can get the mud out with a pic or screw driver.

I think Barnes product is far superior.

IMG_20160820_113233209_HDR.jpg
I don't know. No wind storm. I just don't know.

Ask rough stuff ? It would probably be a decent product, if I never hit rocks, and never was in dirt, but I get bored at the mall parking lot, and my front lack of uptravel sucks on speed bumps.

I agree completely.

Both my dad and I have ran this brand cover since 08 or so, and we are both more than fed up the constant replacing of oil due to water intrusion and refilling of oil due to leaking.

We have to tighten the bolts every time out. Even with red lock tite they come lose. I once use lock tite between the taper of the head and the bolt. That worked to keep them tight, but I had to weld nuts to them to remove all 10 of them to work on the diff. Using a torch to heat them, ended will all of the hex drives circular.

The @Barnes4wd cover is not countersunk for flat head bolts. It can be used with socket head cap screws or regular cap screws. I will most likely use socket head cap screws to match the rear cover. They are easy enough to replace when I destroy the heads on rocks, and are large enough I can get the mud out with a pic or screw driver.

I think Barnes product is far superior.

Flanged 12-point cap screws from McMaster, $11 per 25. Same style as 12-point ARP. Sooo worth the couple of bucks over socket heads, and never strip a head again. :p

Can't say I ever considered a diff cover a "high strength fastening" situation.

But agreed, I'd rather have a hex head.

No, it's not, but all the reasons are applicable to this design, except the tensile strength (which is sometimes tied to hardness and how easily the hex recess rounds out). It's just not a proper application for a countersunk fastener for valid reasons, that's all I was trying to say. :p

I dunno though, making a diff cover out of 3/8" plate sounds like it needs some high strength fasteners, because any impact on the cover goes right into the housing. Maybe the cover is slight overkill?

Err without being specific Me thinks the problem lies more in the realm of: "Hey all the kool kiddos counter sink stuff. We should too. And them square hex thingys would look super crazy as a bolt, you know not so plain."

Kinda like dimple dies.....lets do it all over the place regardless of what we are trying to accomplish they look KOOL.

Back