Random pic thread.

G43, 357 & the judge are all more effective if they have snake/bird shot in them if you are walking around with hollow point I'll keep the shovel!

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

You take the G43, I'll take the shovel, and we'll see who has a dead snake first. A garden hoe is an even better tool. But this is one of those rare instances where a wide blade beats a small projectile.
Lemme tuck a shovel IWB on my next hike.
I'll report back!

My scores at the huge Labor Day flea market in Hillsville VA.

Starrett #122 4ft vernier caliper. May never need something that big, but I have never seen one in person so I had to have it. (I can always sell it to Adam Booth).View attachment 301930

Butterfield tap & die set.

Starrett #98 8" level

Nice stone in a wooden box. Paid 8 bucks.

Little Starrett #425 3" vernier caliper. Paid 1 dollar for it.

Brown & Sharp large base surface gage (#621 ?) with a Starrett mast.

Some oil cans including a Eagle 66.

Cute little old ornate clamp and some indicator snugs

10" wire wheel

Flexible arm lamp made in USA.

A stainless dip stick with measurements marked on it to 22 inches.

All in all a good weekend.
That 4' caliper made me lol. Makes me really wonder.... what is the occasion for which one would need such a thing?

My scores at the huge Labor Day flea market in Hillsville VA.

Starrett #122 4ft vernier caliper. May never need something that big, but I have never seen one in person so I had to have it. (I can always sell it to Adam Booth).View attachment 301930

My Mom-im-law worked at Westinghouse. They had a family day and had tours of the plant.
Had a 6 foot caliper hanging on the wall, and the jaws were 12' long.
Years ago at a huge ham radio event in Dayton Ohio, a guy in the flea market area had a 1" chuck drill that was 3 ft. tall and was gas powered.
At 100 bucks ... always wished I would've bought it just because!

That 4' caliper made me lol. Makes me really wonder.... what is the occasion for which one would need such a thing?
We use one on our dies. I thought the same......but imagine the tooling and measuring for diesel power plants in ships for example. Until you see it, it is hard to wrap your head around.

I've seen them too, when I worked at Delta Mold off Westinghouse, we were making plastic molds for a 32" tv back, that chunk of tool steel was over 48"x48"x48". Wouldnt need them so much today with modern equipment but back in the day yea I'm sure they got used.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Low pressure steam turbines, generators, and gas turbines typically have a shaft diameter of about 4-6 feet, and a diameter tolerance of 0.001-0.004". They gotta measure them somehow. Big generators can be closer to 7ft diameter.

P.S. Since we have 60hz power in the US, that means the entire turbine train (typically comprised of 3-5 pieces of 30ft long, 5ft diameter chunks of steel with precisely machined blades attached to the OD) is spinning at 3600rpm :eek:

Hurricane Dorian timeline:

fe70d3b130d75ba574240dd150aa95c4.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Tried to get all three to look the same direction...

20190903_152815.jpg

P.S. Since we have 60hz power in the US, that means the entire turbine train (typically comprised of 3-5 pieces of 30ft long, 5ft diameter chunks of steel with precisely machined blades attached to the OD) is spinning at 3600rpm :eek:

The back wall of my office sits about 10 feet from 3 generators that turn at 3600 rpm fed by 1450 psig steam. I have considered occasionally what would happen if one of them came loose. The concrete wall wouldn’t even slow the shrapnel down.

When taking the dam tour this year at the Hoover Dam, the tour guide said that their hydro turbines spin 180 rpm and utilize a set of 40 pole windings to get 60 hz.

The back wall of my office sits about 10 feet from 3 generators that turn at 3600 rpm fed by 1450 psig steam. I have considered occasionally what would happen if one of them came loose. The concrete wall wouldn’t even slow the shrapnel down.

When taking the dam tour this year at the Hoover Dam, the tour guide said that their hydro turbines spin 180 rpm and utilize a set of 40 pole windings to get 60 hz.
Nice. Also, nuclear steam turbines are even larger than coal fired steam turbines and therefore they spin at 1800rpm. I assume they just modify the windings to make it work.

Low pressure steam turbines, generators, and gas turbines typically have a shaft diameter of about 4-6 feet, and a diameter tolerance of 0.001-0.004". They gotta measure them somehow. Big generators can be closer to 7ft diameter.

I would nearly bet, you can drive by the back side of Seaman's [Westinghouse], & Still see a few turbine shafts, sitting on flatbed Rail cars! When I worked at Concrete Supply, 70/80s, seemed every year, Westinghouse would have cut out a House-size hole, in the floor, line it with rebar, & we'd fill it with concrete. Just for ONE lathe to sit on. There was Zero tolerance, for Vibration, on a Turbine shaft! And, like Bank Vault doors, those shafts, sitting on rollers, could be easily turned, by hand! Yet Huge enough to need a Rail Flatbed!

Back