Random pic thread.

So much pipe (need to put up a Logan-Free Zone sign to keep away the Logan’s

a4ad8cf0b4dfeaf4b4c926928bd6b89d.jpg

So much pipe (need to put up a Logan-Free Zone sign to keep away the Logan’s

a4ad8cf0b4dfeaf4b4c926928bd6b89d.jpg

Please don't back fill that as it is....

8000 feet later, cat5e ran for PA, NEC, and IP points.

I used to pull a lot of cable. Just so you are aware...I learned (first heard of it being a thing about 2010 from vendor reps) and always abided by the fact that the plasticizers in network cabling can screw up plumbing pipe. In long-term contact, the plasticizers (you know how sometimes cheap cable feels "greasy") can supposedly chemically affect the PVC pipe and make it more brittle and prone to failure. Not so much a deal with plenum cable, but still a factor to consider, and good installation practice to maintain separation. Looks like you might need to watch that vent or drain on the far right, especially if insulation goes in that will mash the cat5 in contact with the PVC. More of a worry if it's a PVC water pipe under pressure, but still...

Not a heck of a lot online about this, but I go on the side of abundant caution. FWIW, YMMV, ETC...but the last one to touch it owns it.

Little-Known Installation Risk Can Mean Big Problems
ICF's soaking up the plasticizer

And BTW, damn, there's a lot of them studs half gone...counting the unused holes, too.

I thought the same thing.
Then I zoomed in and I think thats a chase pipe/future conduit. So I was going to mention that plumbing pvc isn't pvc conduit.

There's also the issue with the cat5 and the 120/240 convergence on the left...
And many of those studs are now compromised as you said. But it's not my job or house so looks good

Then I zoomed in and I think thats a chase pipe/future conduit. So I was going to mention that plumbing pvc isn't pvc conduit.

And many of those studs are now compromised as you said. But it's not my job or house so looks good
House? What in the crap can all that cable run?
I was thinking that much tech warranted a planned raceway or channel. Holy crap I'm behind times if this goes into modern home design.
Apartments maybe? But dang my pee brain says plan for that stuff to go somewhere dedicated. Blue spaghetti makes my eyes hurt.

What is this in English? PA, NEC, and IP.

I used to pull a lot of cable. Just so you are aware...I learned (first heard of it being a thing about 2010 from vendor reps) and always abided by the fact that the plasticizers in network cabling can screw up plumbing pipe. In long-term contact, the plasticizers (you know how sometimes cheap cable feels "greasy") can supposedly chemically affect the PVC pipe and make it more brittle and prone to failure. Not so much a deal with plenum cable, but still a factor to consider, and good installation practice to maintain separation. Looks like you might need to watch that vent or drain on the far right, especially if insulation goes in that will mash the cat5 in contact with the PVC. More of a worry if it's a PVC water pipe under pressure, but still...

Not a heck of a lot online about this, but I go on the side of abundant caution. FWIW, YMMV, ETC...but the last one to touch it owns it.

Little-Known Installation Risk Can Mean Big Problems
ICF's soaking up the plasticizer

And BTW, damn, there's a lot of them studs half gone...counting the unused holes, too.

Good to know! Thanks. I’ll pass this along to the team. Planning on spray foam insulation.

Will be putting in more studs to compensate.

Good to know! Thanks. I’ll pass this along to the team. Planning on spray foam insulation.

If you are going to spray foam you HAVE to encase that in conduit or....

House? What in the crap can all that cable run?
I was thinking that much tech warranted a planned raceway or channel. Holy crap I'm behind times if this goes into modern home design.
Apartments maybe? But dang my pee brain says plan for that stuff to go somewhere dedicated. Blue spaghetti makes my eyes hurt.

What is this in English? PA, NEC, and IP.

It’s not a house. Office spaces above warehouse. Expanding.

PA system, NEC phone system, and Internet drops (we don’t do WiFi). Framework was done many years ago. It’s being repurposed to fulfill office needs for business expansion, so much cat5 was not planned for back then. Making do with what we have available.

It is going somewhere dedicated. All the drops are leading back to that picture. There will be a climate controlled server room in there.

Its empty conduit for future proofing. That electrical panel is on the other wall on the other side of that room. The cat5 and electrical are not in the same wall. We will be adding in a few more studs, getting there one step at a time.

If you are going to spray foam you HAVE to encase that in conduit or....

Yes ive thought about that. Dont know how were going to do it, but we started working framework already done from many years ago, before cat5 was a think, otherwise there would have been conduit. We may looking into having a barrier on those walls then foaming. Dont know. Its on the list of items to solve. @Ron any ideas?

There's several thoughts there.
If it's a new server in a commercial space, why are you running cat 5 at all. But that's a whole other convo.

Regarding future proofing ....pvc conduit and pvc plumbing pipe have different dims. So fittings, terminations etc won't fit right if at all. You have pvc plumbing pipe there not pvc conduit.

I'm not properly educated on wood frame construction methods, frankly your application doesnts seem wood frame appropriate to me but there are experts here on that and I'm not one of them.

Ignoring any structural or application concerns, if I was going to put cat5 in spray foam the only way I'd consider it is in conduit. If you simply cant/will not then at a minimum I'd run 2N cables to have spares for when issues start appearing.

Just overall you seem dead set on a high speed hard wired network and then everything about the install is not maximizing transmission speed or integrity.

Last edited:
I just hope you have a permit pulled. WNC counties are notorious for large fines and condemning buildings. If you even want to do a further expansions and they find non permitted work nothing will happen and same thing if you ever tried to sell.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

IIRC Simpson makes a reinforcement plate/channel that slips over the edge of a stud and nails/screws down. Really made for when a plumiot makes a too-big notch for a pipe.

Serves as a nail guard, too, I think.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

There's several thoughts there.
If it's a new server in a commercial space, why are you running cat 5 at all. But that's a whole other convo.

Regarding future proofing ....pvc conduit and pvc plumbing pipe have different dims. So fittings, terminations etc won't fit right if at all. You have pvc plumbing pipe there not pvc conduit.

I'm not properly educated on wood frame construction methods, frankly your application doesnts seem wood frame appropriate to me but there are experts here on that and I'm not one of them.

Ignoring any structural or application concerns, if I was going to put cat5 in spray foam the only way I'd consider it is in conduit. If you simply cant/will not then at a minimum I'd run 2N cables to have spares for when issues start appearing.

Just overall you seem dead set on a high speed hard wired network and then everything about the install is not maximizing transmission speed or integrity.

If you don’t do WiFi, how else would you plan to network in computers, mfg equipment, phone systems (that run off cat5), PoE PAs and Talkback Speakers, and IP cameras? The only alternative to cat cabling is over data over circuit, but that only works when on the same breaker.

Yes I know the difference between pvc conduit and sch40. What you are seeing are chases.

8000 feet later, cat5e ran for PA, NEC, and IP points.

7cc9b8ba618951c5e421ed5fc608ba1c.jpg

That looks like a crawlspace? If so It could have been done easier/faster by bundling all the wires together and just hanging them on hooks near the top of the CS and w/o drilling all them holes in the studs.....pulling all of them through their must have been a biotch o_O

Last edited:
Back