Random Thoughts.....

Honestly $1mil cost for a $16bil company sounds amazingly low. I woulda guessed more like 50-100x that much.

The Hack-hits are very specific, or at least ours was. Plus this was just our location ( the hack hit printing locations only)
The hackers intent is to cost the company enough to make it worth paying. Shut down machinery and systems that shouldn't hurt employees.
They didn't figure in that Americans won't deal with terrorists. Our idiot gov't might, but not the people.
When we got hit supposedly 2 other companies in the area did also ..... none paid.

As I sit here this evening on the 1 year anniversary of losing my grandmother, in a deerstand I've sat in dozens of times behind her house I'm thinking back on what this farm once was not too long ago. On this 50 acres with nearly a mile of driveway there were 10 of us living here. Now only 2 live here, my mom and great aunt. At one time we had our 50 and leased another hundred acres and had over 50 head of cattle. Now, we have 9 on maybe 20 acres of pasture. At our peak we planted 10 acres of gardens so that we had enough for the whole family, and enough to share and some to sell. Now, there are no garden spots.

I know, time marches on and this is just the way it goes. But damn what I wouldn't give to go back and spend one more day picking beans or loading cows.

As I sit here this evening on the 1 year anniversary of losing my grandmother, in a deerstand I've sat in dozens of times behind her house I'm thinking back on what this farm once was not too long ago. On this 50 acres with nearly a mile of driveway there were 10 of us living here. Now only 2 live here, my mom and great aunt. At one time we had our 50 and leased another hundred acres and had over 50 head of cattle. Now, we have 9 on maybe 20 acres of pasture. At our peak we planted 10 acres of gardens so that we had enough for the whole family, and enough to share and some to sell. Now, there are no garden spots.

I know, time marches on and this is just the way it goes. But damn what I wouldn't give to go back and spend one more day picking beans or loading cows.

My grandpa owned peach orchards in Cana VA, a couple miles across the NC/VA line.
Starting around 8 yrs. old I stayed and worked my summers with him in the orchards, helped grandma in the garden and spend the evenings sitting on the front porch of their house snapping green beans.
Boring, hot, nasty work.
Little did the idiot in me for those 5-6 years realize the education those summers gave me.
WE get to point where we would have to wait 5-6 for anything to ready to pick ...... grandpa would come in at 4pm, "We're going to the beach tomorrow for 3 or 4 days."
I got that last minute beach trip gene also!
I learned how NOT to cook from him but grandma took care of it.
I learned I hate getting up chestnuts!!!!!
I learned Permethrin wasn't as bad as they said ...... still got 2 eyes , 2 legs, 2 arms ......... only mutant in the family is my sis, and she's, well my sis, so she's a mutant.
He was also the jailor for Carrol Co. VA ....... I learned the importance of hard work, and getting done what I was told too before he got home.
He didn't replace my Dad, but he was a good assistant at raising me.
First car I drove, his Corvair .... I was 11.
First truck? His '69 Chevy C-10 with a 3 on the tree.
Yep ... miss those old times too ...... stupid allergies acting up.

Last edited:

Man I feel this to my core.
Back in September my great uncle passed …
It dawned on me that as a kid we had 4 homes on the farm.
Granny and Bub
Uncle Butch and his wife
Grandma and Grandpa
Me mom dad and sis
10 residents on ~30 acres. Dozens of beagles and handful of cows a few pigs at a time and more chickens and guineas than I could count.

Suddenly the vibrant farm was desolate. No life left - people or animals other than wildlife.

That old porch always had paper sacks and too many a butter bean to peel or green bean to snap. I hated it as a child because we couldn’t fish or swim until the crops were gathered and animals fed. I sure wish I could go back one time to that porch and shell some beans and hear grandpa sing “Crystal Chandelier “(his all time favorite to sing) or ‘Grand tour’ one more time

Last edited:

This is why we started our garden, chickens, and bees. I hope to add cows too. Not nearly to this scale but it was also in my childhood and families.
I'm a lot less financially blessed and have really wondered if I need to back off and pursue others means much harder......problem is I haven't been this content or spiritually "full" in a very long time.

This is why we started our garden, chickens, and bees. I hope to add cows too. Not nearly to this scale but it was also in my childhood and families.
I'm a lot less financially blessed and have really wondered if I need to back off and pursue others means much harder......problem is I haven't been this content or spiritually "full" in a very long time.

Yea me and my brother are trying to at least keep what we have going on the farm. I want to put out a garden next year.

I read a quote once and have searched for it for years about the plight of modern man being a full cupboard and an empty soul/spirit

My wife and I had along conversation last night about just this very thing. We were talking about Thanksgiving this year and how it was going to work. My Wife's brother and his family are headed to the beach for the week and her mom and dad are separated, so it got us thinking back on how things used to be and so much family being at my family's get together and my wife's family get together and now, its not like that anymore and it's really sad, but like you said... Time marches on and you just have to make the best of it, but I would love for our 5 year old daughter to be able to experience what we did when we were younger.

I can remember when family get togethers were so big we would have to use a community building.
Now, we could use the big booth at McDonalds!

Last edited:
I postponed my gallbladder surgery because it was jamming up hunting season. My wife is not pleased
Had a mild attack last night, nothing like the first two, but quite unpleasant. As I was rolling around in bed trying to get comfortable, all I could thing about was the post above 😂. That didn't age well!

Had a mild attack last night, nothing like the first two, but quite unpleasant. As I was rolling around in bed trying to get comfortable, all I could thing about was the post above 😂. That didn't age well!
Did you shoot anything yet? If not, you should probably go ahead and schedule some cuttin.

If you have Circle K near you. Sign up for the “inner circle”. I have the circle k card but a while ago I got a text to sign up for the inner circle and it get all sort of fuel and in store discounts on stuff so sure why not. Today when I filled up the truck diesel was 3.73 on the sign, 3.63 w/the K card but if you put you cell number associated with your inner circle it was 3.48! Pretty sad I’m excited about that but that’s the best price I’ve seen in a while.

Last edited:
If you have Circle K near you. Sign up for the “inner circle”. I have the circle k card but a while ago I got a text to sign up for the inner circle and it get all sort of fuel and I store discounts on stuff so sure why not. Today when I filled up the truck diesel was 3.73 on the sign, 3.63 w/the K card but if you put you cell number associated with your inner circle it was 3.48! Pretty sad I’m excited about that but that’s the best price I’ve seen in a while.
I do the same with Wawa. And McCy Ds for happy meals for the kids.

I hate having all these apps on my phone. But I’m too much of a tightwad not to have them

I wish we had a Wawa close I love their sammiches. Like Shitz (sheetz). Love their food for on the go!
Shit, I wish I could afford sheetz food anymore. Only thing affordable is the gut bomb dogs. Everything else is restaurant priced and gas station quality now. I did have a sub from a 7/11 the other week that was pretty good for a cooler sandwich.

Shit, I wish I could afford sheetz food anymore. Only thing affordable is the gut bomb dogs. Everything else is restaurant priced and gas station quality now. I did have a sub from a 7/11 the other week that was pretty good for a cooler sandwich.
Yeah I understand that for sure. Last time I was up towards Va. we stopped at sheetz for diesel and some food. I about shitz when the bill came up!

I do the same with Wawa. And McCy Ds for happy meals for the kids.

I hate having all these apps on my phone. But I’m too much of a tightwad not to have them
I wish we had a Wawa close I love their sammiches. Like Shitz (sheetz). Love their food for on the go!
Love WaWa. I get a hoagie from them every tuesday, eat half for lunch then otehr half the next day.
Tuesdays right now are free coffee days for members and they are packed. The Gobbler Sammich is freakin' awesome.

It’s still gas station food in my head. But I have coworkers that will go there specifically for lunch.
We do. It's really no different than going to Subway or any other build-it-then sandwhich shop. Except its actually good, and a pretty decent deal for the $$.

It’s still gas station food in my head. But I have coworkers that will go there specifically for lunch.
My GenZ and young Millenial coworkers think QT is a lunch spot, not a gas station. I haven’t intentionally been in a gas station in at least 10-15 years.

Back